Our hens really look forward to autumn...
After we are through with the garden
for the season...
They are allowed to range free
almost all day every day.
![]() |
| We're free at last! |
Such was the case on Saturday...
The "ladies" spent the better part of the day
Traveling around through the leaves
and what was left of the garden...
Running up to the back door whenever it opened
Hoping that someone would toss out a tasty treat.
Generally, in our home,
as soon as Samuel rises in the morning...
He runs out to the henhouse...
And frees the captives.
On Sunday morning, however,
for no apparent reason
We left the "girls" in their pen...
Thankfully...
For it wasn't long before my husband said,
"I think we have a visitor..."
A beautiful but sneaky fox
was sitting just at the edge of the woods
spying on our "ladies"
Thinking about the tasty dinner
that awaited him.
We watched for a while
From the kitchen window
As he sunned himself by the pond
And then began to creep ever closer
To the coop.
Finally, my husband decided
that it was time to scare him away.
Up to this point,
he had no idea that we were watching him,
But as soon as the back door opened
He was gone in a flash.
"We'd better leave the hens in today,"
my husband advised.
"He might be back."
Well, the fox did not return...
But after dinner
just as we were about to take a walk
Another visitor stopped by...
There she was...
Just sitting in the big tree
That overlooks the pen...
There she was...
Just sitting in the big tree
That overlooks the pen...
My husband, old eagle eyes himself,
Spotted her first.
She had no idea we were watching...
Until we pushed open the screen door
She silently swooped down over the pen
And was gone into the woods.
We were very grateful that we had left
the hens in their pen...
But, we didn't know how grateful
Until our third visitor arrived...
A lady who was up for Thanksgiving
staying with one of our neighbors
Was out walking her dog.
She was unaware that we had chickens
Until her dog took off down our driveway
And headed out back for the coop.
Once again, the hens were saved
because we had left them in the pen.
The dog was so excited at his potential catch
He didn't see us standing in the backyard
So we were able to quickly take a hold of his collar
As the lady hurried to put him back on his leash.
If it had been Saturday,
Our entire flock of hens
would have been wiped out in one day...
But thankfully, we were "watching"
And, once again, as I took a deep breath,
And gave thanks..
I was suddenly reminded of the times
When perhaps I forgot
And thought that no one was watching...
When I was being "sneaky"...
Thinking I could get away with something...
Doing something that I know I shouldn't be doing...
Perhaps it was just a little bit of gossip...
Or an unkind thought about someone
A touch of pridefulness or boasting
or jealousy perhaps...
Or, as Nana would say
"Butting my nose in where it doesn't belong."
I may have tried to justify it with
"Well, I'm not hurting anyone"
or
"It's really not a bad thing"...
When I knew in my heart of hearts
That it grieved my Lord.
And so, as I give thanks that our Lord
saw fit to protect our small flock this Sunday...
I also give thanks
that He is always watching...
And I pray...
That the Holy Spirit will continue
to prompt me to repentance
whenever I have a mind
to be "sneaky"...
"The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way:
but the folly of fools is deceit."
Proverbs 14:8
"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit,
hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind."
I Peter 2:1
but the folly of fools is deceit."
Proverbs 14:8
"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit,
hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind."
I Peter 2:1




As always Dear Laura, a beautiful spiritual lesson! What wisdom I always glean from you! :o)
ReplyDeleteWhat a horrible end the day might have had. I'm so glad you didnt let your ladies out.
ReplyDeleteBut, what beautiful photos of your wildlife!
My, you had quite a few ‘visitors’ on Sunday! I am glad all of your hens were safe in their coop. We have been free-ranging our hens now as well, and we, too, have to keep an eye out for predators (such as the neighbor’s dogs who might like a meal of fresh chicken. :)
ReplyDeleteYour sharing of your heart and these scriptural truths was a blessing to me . . . there is much to think about and ponder . . . and then to apply. Thank you!
Dear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteIt was so nice to hear from you again! Thank you for your lovely comments. We are so thankful that the hens are safe...we often have "visitors" because we live on a dirt road surrounded by woods. We really love seeing all the wildlife...we just don't want them to eat our chickens!
Sweet blessings to you,
Laura
Dear Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI alway enjoy reading your very encouraging comments. Your sweet spirit always shine through in everything you say. I have really been searching my heart lately, looking for areas where I need to spend more time on the things of the Lord, and less time on "worldly" things. I never want to get too "comfortable" with my walk...but always want to willingly and humbly submit to the Lord's "refining fire". As we read in His Word, God sent a message through His prophet Zechariah that He would
"refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried" Zachariah 13:9
A sometimes painful process, to be sure, but oh what a promise...
"they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God."
And what a wonderful blessing we shall reap.
Praying that you and your family will have a blessed Thanksgiving together,
Mrs. Laura
Dear Laura...Thanksgiving blessings to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Teri! And I hope that you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving as well!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful reminder that we should always be watching....and praying!!! HOPE you have a happy THANKS-giving full of lots of blessings and memories!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your wonderful comment, Deb, and I hope that you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving as well!
ReplyDeleteSweet blessings,
Laura
Everybody loves chicken Laura you can't blame them ,it's a good thing you and hubby take care of your livestock, I have a problem for some reason openening your blog from my dashboard for some reason ,plus they don't show up when you make a new post ,I have been very busy so today a got a few min. and I searched back from a comment you left and clicked it and got to your post. I will have to do a little research as to why this has Occured when I have more time ,but for now I am happy to have found you I wish you and your wonderfull family a Happy thanksgiving ,xoxo theodora
ReplyDeleteDear Theodora,
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear from you, my dear! I agree, we can't really blame the animals for wanting to get to our hens...it's just part of their nature! We thank the Lord though that we were home and able to scare off these "visitors"...for I do so love my ladies...and all the fresh eggs they provide! There is nothing like a farm fresh egg!
You are not the only one who has had difficulty lately with opening my blog. I have told others to try this...if you stop following my blog...then sign up to follow it again...that seems to work.
Anyway, I am so glad to hear from you! Thank you for the Thanksgiving wish...do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Greece? Since it is an American tradition, I didn't think you would...but perhaps you have something similar?
Have a blessed day...I can't wait to see what your latest project is!
Laura
Good Morning Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words. We were reading in Luke 7 this weekend and it struck me that I must be very careful not to be like Simon...for one who has been forgiven much will love much. But one can only be forgiven if one is aware of their need for this and has a repentant heart.
I hope that you and your lovely family have a beautiful Thanksgiving together!
Laura