"But life's not the breath you take
The breathing in and out
That gets you through the day
Ain't what it's all about...
You just might miss the point
Trying to win the race
Life's not the breaths you take
Life's not the breaths you take
But the moments that take your breath away."
George Strait...The Breath You Take
I had one of those moments this morning...
Friday...it's pouring and very windy on the coast...
Nor'easter kind of winds
Mom is expecting company for the weekend
So, I sneak down this morning to help prepare...
A little vacuuming and dusting...
Praying all the while that we don't lose the power...
And that the big poplar next to the house that has uprooted
won't come crashing through our roof...
And that the big poplar next to the house that has uprooted
won't come crashing through our roof...
While making up guest beds
I feel a little tap on my shoulder...
one of those moments...
"I found these this morning in my desk
Nana went to be with the Lord when I was just 16,
But she probably had as much influence on raising me
As my parents did...
That's just the way it was back then...
And continues to be with my family.
If fact, my mom told my Samuel once...
"As long as your mom is alive,
Nana will never die"
Guess that means I'm much like her...
Though I don't feel it most of the time.
You see, Nana "saw" things very clearly...
A "No Nonsense" type of lady...
A "No Nonsense" type of lady...
She was such a little woman...
But she made a big influence on everyone she encountered.
Nana couldn't be bothered wasting time on...
feeling sorry for herself...
or being disappointed that something wasn't going her way...
or worrying about things she couldn't control...
She didn't analyze everything to pieces...
And try to figure out everyone's motives...
She just trusted and believed
and lived life.
She took each day as a gift.
Nana survived through several wars,
And the Depression...
She lost her whole farm to a fire...
Yet, she trusted...and believed...
And took each day as a gift.
For 16 years I watched her...
She spent each and every day
Just serving others...
Nana was as blind as a bat...
Yet she saw things more clearly than I might ever hope to.
You've heard the saying...
"It would be hard to find someone to fill her shoes..."
But in this case...
I think it would be almost impossible...
To find someone...
"to wear Nana's glasses."
Trust in the LORD, and do good;
so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
Delight thyself also in the LORD:
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him;
and he shall bring it to pass.
And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light,
and thy judgment as the noonday.
Psalm 37:3-6
Delight thyself also in the LORD:
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him;
and he shall bring it to pass.
And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light,
and thy judgment as the noonday.
Psalm 37:3-6


An absolutely beautiful tribute. I too had a nana that would be darn hard to live up to. She was one of the few blessings I had in my life as a child and she filled my cup with love and attention that no other had. She would dream with me, tell stories of her day and pray with and for me just because it was time. I still miss her so very much. Beautiful post. Hugs. Tammy
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful portrait of your lovely grandmother. Just to know that she was such an important influence in your life, it is what makes you who you are today.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing it is to have such an example of godly womanhood.
Thank you dear friend for sharing your loving memory of your Nana with me.
Blessings,
M.
How beautiful! :o) My grandmother is my guardian angel! She has been the only one to always look out for me and protect me! Have missed you! Good to see you back! :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Laura~ Thanks again for participating in the project to make hats for Romania. The project has officially ended and I'd like to know how many hats we made in all, so please visit the blog post {see link below} and then click on the link in the post to fill out a short form I've made for all the participants. If you have any questions, please let me know! Blessings!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.heirsofpromise.net/2010/10/hats-for-romania-and-they-mailed.html
Laura, This is so so sweet! My grandma was just like that. She believed the best of all of us and how I miss her! You write the most profound posts. I had dropped by just because I wanted to make sure you knew I'm celebrating my blogiversary--the first one--by giving away two quilted totebags (you pick the block from my stash). I didn't want you to miss it. You are one of my favorite followers. :o)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Donna @ Comin' Home
Dear Laura...this post that you have shared has brought back so many special memories of my gramma...as well as my mom! I miss both so very much...but with each day...I notice that I am so much like the both of them! I am so very thankful for that! Simple weekend blessings! ♥ Teri
ReplyDeleteDear Friends,
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing for all of us to have special people in our lives that we can admire and model after. I guess I love Nana most because it was never about "her"...it was always about "someone else"...an absolutely unselfish love...just like our Savior. I want to be like that always.
Thank you for beautiful comments.
Love,
Laura