It was Tuesday afternoon.
We were on our way to a soccer game...
way up north.
Since it was going to be at least a two hour ride,
Mom, Dad, Samuel and I
decided to make the most of it...
By stopping at some of the local farms and country stores
Along the way.
We were passing through a small town
and saw a little country store
with fresh produce and mums outside
So we stopped to stretch our legs.
The store was run by an Amish family.
You may not know this,
but there are two small Amish communities in Maine.
It had a wonderful assortment of baking supplies
at very reasonable prices...
So mom and I picked up a few items...
As we were shopping...
We noticed that the store was quite busy...
Not so much with locals...
But with tourists.
They had come to see the Amish folks.
It was somewhat amusing to watch...
The people would walk around, point, and whisper...
The store was located right in front of the family's farm...
And some of the children were out working in the garden.
We watched the tourists as they watched the children...
The folks running the store were very polite...
But rather quiet and reserved.
I'm sure that they are used to being watched...
Although for me it was a little unnerving.
There was a sweet little girl at the checkout counter...
Perhaps 11 or 12 years old.
Much to my surprise...
As I was paying for my huge bag of whole wheat flour...
She struck up a conversation with me!
We shared the most wonderful moment...
We talked about baking...and woodstoves...
and chickens...and goat's milk.
You see, she had been watching and listening
to mom and I...
while we were watching people watching her!
As we were leaving,
She told me about her "Auntie's" farm...
Just up the road a piece.
She said that sometimes they had extra goat's milk to sell.
So, we took a little detour.
The farm was absolutely beautiful...
And "Auntie" was most gracious...
In fact, we may be making a trip back soon...
To pick up a little doeling
To pick up a little doeling
Whose mama gives the most delicious milk!
![]() |
| The cookies are oatmeal raisin... made from an old amish recipe... soooooooo good! |
An hour or so later...
As I was standing in the crowd on the bleachers
Watching my son coach his young men...
My thoughts wandered back to the new friends
that I had made that afternoon...
I thought about what it must feel like
to be constantly on "display,"
When a still small voice spoke to me...
"You, too, my dear, are being watched.."
And I realized that, as a daughter of the King,
I need to be very aware of and very careful with
everything that I say and do...
Not for the sake of my reputation, mind you...
But solely for the sake of His...
For someone just may be watching...
"For even hereunto were ye called:
because Christ also suffered for us,
leaving us an example,that ye should follow his steps:
Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.”
I Peter 2: 21-22
“In the same way, let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Matthew 5:16
"Now then we are ambassadors for Christ..."
II Corinthians 5:20

Oh Laura this is so true!
ReplyDeleteWe have quite a bit of an Amish community here in PA, and it really is quite hard to accept the way everyone watches them and just simply stare.
When I go food shopping at the local store, I see them there, and to me they are just ordinary people that have chosen to follow a simpler life. Period! I particularly admire their stand on simple dressing. It is not easy to different.
I have been different for over 30 yrs while living in this country. I have had to learn to just ignore the comments of others and especially the stares. It is one of the reasons I have pulled back from my church...the constant whispering and criticism got to me and it was just too much.
I am glad that you have found a wonderful place to get goat's milk. It is so good to make soap with... even though, I don't particularly like the taste of it :(
How wonderful that you had such a good time...
M.
How beautiful! :o) It is so true we all are under the watch of others. This is something that I think about a lot. And ask myself if I am being the best ambassador of Christ that I can when I'm at work especially. Thank you for the reminder to keep striving! :o)
ReplyDeleteWow, beautiful post. I too need to remind myself more often that I am an example for others to follow. WHen I break, they break. When I stand strong on God's principle much learning and teaching can be shared. Beautiful through and through this post. Hugs. Tammy
ReplyDeleteDearest Friends,
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely comments...you are all so encouraging! The more I thought about this...the more I want not only to not do something that would bring heartache to my Lord, but to shine so that others would ask about the happiness that lives within me and why I do the things that I do.
It is wonderful to know that there are other ladies out there who are also living for Him.
God bless you all!
Laura
What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing. ~Alana~
ReplyDelete