Tuesday, September 21, 2010

One Morning With Mom...

My mother was invited to a bridal shower of a friend's daughter this weekend...and, not knowing the what the girl already had acquired for her home, she wanted to do something different as a gift. So...she decided...with my help...to put together a "homemade laundry basket" of goodies.

Thursday morning she and I hit the sewing room...we started with a clothespin bag...don't you just love the material she chose? It's a seersucker, and so bright and laundryroom like!

We started with yellow binding...
but then went to the blue because of the size!

I made a pattern out of cardboard...very simple but practical.

The dimensions are 12 X 14...

We used a wooden coathanger for the holder...Samuel and Gramp had to cut it down to size for us!

The wooden piece was cut to 12 inches

We lined the bag with blue cotton and a thin layer of batting...overall, we were pleased with the results!

The coathanger is removable so
that the bag can be tossed in the wash!
With the same material, we also lined a laundry basket,
made a laundry bag,
and created a pincushion for the top of a mason jar sewing kit.
Sorry, we got busy...so no pictures!

We filled the basket with a variety of homemade laundry soaps (dry) along with the ingredients and recipe for making your own.

It turned out really cute,
and a very different kind of gift indeed!
But the best gift of all...spending time with mom...

Mom will be back today from Massachusetts...
I can hardly wait to hear how it went!


"Her children arise up, and call her blessed..."
Proverbs 31:28a

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Laura ~ Such a wonderful homemade gift...love the fabric! Best of all...being able to spend time with your Mother! Blessings for your day! ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the fabric! It's so bright and cheery! It reminds me of the clothespin bag that we had growing up. :o) Have missed you! Hope all is well! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laura, this is such a great idea! It is just perfect for a new wife.

    When I got married, I lived in an apartment with my husband, wishing to have a house...my dream did not materialize until 3yrs later...but a gift like this would have been most welcomed!

    Blessings,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and oh so cute.
    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Friends,
    Thank you all for your sweet comments. Mom arrived home safely yesterday...after a wonderful trip! She said that Kara absolutely loved the gift...in fact, I arrived home after a soccer game last evening and found a call from Kara's aunt telling me how much she loved the basket and thanking me for helping mom. Don't you just love handmade gifts? I have so many here in my home...and every time I look at them it reminds me of the person who made it. Hope you all have a blessed day!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Mrs. Wiley, that is really a neat clothespin bag! I'm really impressed. The colors are really nice and cheerful too.

    Christianna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, sweetie, for such a nice comment! I really had fun making this...just like you have fun doing things with your mom and sisters. I so enjoyed seeing all the lovely things you have created...you are all such talented ladies!
    With love,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. So do I, Laura...and I just love receiving gifts that someone has made!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...