Thursday morning at 8 AM...
Samuel's schoolbooks and
my "Idle Bag" in hand...
(see previous post)
Samuel and I head for the garage to have the truck repaired.
Hoping that it would only take about an hour...
we decided to wait...
rather than drop it off and then have to return to pick it up.
We had been there about an hour...
when two "strangers" walked in...
The first, a "scary looking biker dude" type...
With a full scruffy beard...
And a ripped t-shirt...
The second, a bent-over mean looking little old man...
With a tattered old baseball cap...
That I was convinced hadn't seen a washing machine this century...
And a flannel shirt and jeans to match.
My first thought...
To protect Samuel from the inappropriate language
that was sure to come out of the mouths of
one, or both, of these men.
What did come out of their mouths shocked me beyond belief...
And humbled me beyond measure...
For you see, the two men knew each other,
And they also knew the Lord.
Every other phrase or so that they spoke contained the words...
"Praise God"...
or
"What a blessing"
or
"Amen."
I was so ashamed...
I almost interrupted them to apologized...
But, instead,
I reflected.
On how quick I am to judge someone...
either good or bad...
By the way that they look...
or the way that they dress.
As my nana would say..."never judge a book by it's cover..."
And I realized what a hypocrite I am...
and I prayed that God will forgive me and cleanse my heart.
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter,
but within they are full of extortion and excess."
Matthew 23:25
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity."
Matthew 23:27-28

I love it when people take a first look at me on their door step and then I share the Gospel with them, or when I get out of our van with all the Scriptures on it like I stole the thing.
ReplyDeleteWe all have our biases, but God knows the hearts. Thank you for this reminder again. We head to the jail tonight, a couple beggars telling other beggars where to find bread. Jesus, the bread of life!
How powerful! I have been in your place many times. It sure teaches humility. :o) Have missed you over the last few days!
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteI, too, have been in this place before...too many times to mention. I keep thinking that I'm getting better...but the Lord keeps gently reminding me that I am only a sinner saved by grace...over and over.
You are such a dear...I, too, have missed you all...seems like the weeks just fly by...
Many sweet blessings to you and your family,
Love,
Laura
Oh Laura, this happens to all of us dear friend! We have been programmed to accept people from what they are wearing or how they look...instead of allowing Our Lord to guide us and let them show themselves for what they truly are!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post dear friend.
Blessings to your day,
Maria
Dear Maria,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are back...I have missed you, dear friend! Thank you for the encouraging words...they make my heart smile!
Love,
Laura