Saturday, September 11, 2010

Do You Have An "Idle Mind" Bag???

I can still hear my nana's voice...even after all these years...


"An Idle Mind is the Devil's Workshop..."


My nana loved this saying...and used it often. Although the old proverb doesn't come directly from the Bible...it has it's roots in a scriptual idea. The Bible teaches us that a  person who doesn't have something particular to occupy himself with doing might  be tempted to occupy himself with sin.


My nana was never ever idle. Her hands were always busy...and never empty. She was either cooking, or sewing, or knitting, or cleaning, or canning, or ...the list goes on and on.


Sometimes we do not realize until years later just how much influence someone has upon molding and shaping us.

Because of Nana...I carry an "Idle Mind" bag with me just about everywhere I go.




On any given day, it might be full of several little projects,
 my Bible, a book or two,
a little notebook and a pencil...
among other things.


It is for all those "little moments" when we are called to wait patiently...


at a doctor's or dentist's office...
in line at the grocery store...
in a traffic tie-up...
for a game to start...or half-time...
to get the car repaired...
to pick someone up...


This morning my "Idle Bag" has the following projects in it...

A "Candy Corn" newborn hat...
Just about finished!
A bib...part of a layette set...
winter socks...half done...
to keep someone's toes toasty warm!
A cross-stitched basket of
flowers that will someday
be on a pillow!


So...what's in your "Idle Bag" this morning?


"And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not"
I Timothy 5:13



" For this same cause, all Christians are commanded to work. "For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread"
II Thessalonians 3:10-12




4 comments:

  1. Dear Laura ~ I enjoyed this very much...this reminds me of my gramma also. She was such a loving and kind gramma and she always had her hands working on something, either reading her Bible, cooking, sewing, hanging laundry on the clothesline, ironing, tending to her chickens, gathering from her garden, picking a bouquet from her many flowers...these are just a few...but I do not ever remember her being too busy to spend time with each who came to her home. I have never called it my 'idle bag'...but I do carry a bag that has many a thing to do in it. I would be lost without it. Thank you for sharing and simple blessings for your weekend! ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the idea of an "idle bag". I have something similar that I use when we travel but never thought of having one for all those everyday idle moments. It also goes along well with the thoughts I had during my quiet time this morning about using my time wisely and effectively. Thanks so much for sharing.
    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother was also never idle. I always try to have something with me to do if I have "idle" time but it just seems that there isn't anytime that's "idle" maybe it has to do with having two small kids :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sweet Friends,
    Thank you all for your endearing comments...
    Seems like our grandmothers were so much smarter than we are...they knew what was important...and they didn't let the "world" in to change what they knew in their hearts.

    Teri...I can just imagine the sweet things that you must carry in your "bag"...

    Alana...isn't just amazing how the Lord will confirm a message to us over and over in the same day...using different people, places or things? He is so amazing!

    Nabila Grace...I remember when mine were little...just yesterday...one of the fondest memories was when we were in the grocery store. I would make out my list at home...by aisles...so that I knew exactly what I needed. Then, I would have in my "idle bag" some of the boys favorite storybooks...and I would read to them as we shopped! They would sit so quietly...people would always stop and talk to us...which gave them lots of attention...and they never asked to get down out of the carts. Picture me reading to curly blond headed twins...it was quite a site! Even now...many years later...some of the "old timers" who still work at the store will comment on when I used to read to the boys. Sometimes I would have several children following me...I felt like the pied piper!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...