Thursday, September 2, 2010

Are We Prepared???

The local schools are closed today...not because of snow(which is the usual case around here!)...but because of the heat and air quality. I think that this is the first time in a very long time that local schools have been cancelled because of high temperatures. The children went home early yesterday...and all after school sports events were cancelled.

Everyone along the coast is bracing for Hurricane Earl. Fisherman are bringing in gear...or hauling their traps out to deeper water in hopes to avoid damage.


Today, despite the record heat, many farmers will try to get the last of the corn in...as well as other crops should we be in the path of Earl tomorrow.

We've been here before..as many of you have, I know. Depending on which weather station we listen to...we might get just a little rain...or we might hunker down for quite a storm. Right now they are advising those of us in the midcoast to prepare for 6 inches of rain, high winds, downed trees, and power outages. You'd never guess it looking out my kitchen window right now.

And so we make attempts to prepare. I'm sure that the grocery stores will be in a frenzy today...that you won't be able to buy a battery or a flashlight anywhere.

But just how prepared can we be? Do we really know what to expect...or when to expect it?

As I watch friends and neighbors "preparing"...I can't help but wonder if we feel the same immediate urgency to prepare for eternity. Do we realize how imminent the end could possibly be...for any of us???

The Lord tells us to be prepared...and to help others to be prepared as well. As my sons and I rush around today, seeing if we can be of assistance to any of our neighbors...helping to put away lawn furniture, board up windows, hauling in skiffs...I know that we are doing this because we have been given advice...that there is the possibility of disaster ahead if we don't heed the warning.

But the Bible clearly tells us of the definite disasters ahead...not just the possibilities. The warning is clear...and strong...and we need to take heed...to prepare...and to help others as well...

And so our prayers are with those in the path of the impending storm...and our faith is in the Lord.

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembing of ourselves together, as he manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:20

13 comments:

  1. May you all be protected from the storm! My mother lives in RI but is in CA right now hopefully they will be ok. Thank you for this post! It brought tears to my eyes! Sending you a hug! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nabila Grace,
    Thank you so much for the prayers and the hugs. You are so sweet...blessings to you and your lovely family.
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of humanity prepares itself for events that affect their lives, their physical safety...but their spiritual life is left pretty much alone without another thought!

    Hurricane Earl is another one of those signs that Our Lord uses to bring us to Himself. He continues to show us that He is in control - all the time!

    Praying dear friend, that this storm will bring minimal damage to your area. Praying that you will be safe within the walls of your home.

    Keeping you in prayers dear friend,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heart,
    Thank you so much for your prayers and concern. Your words are so true...we often see folks drawing nearer to God in the "storms" of life. I do so appreciate your friendship.
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura ~ My prayers are with you and your family as you prepare and help others be ready for what may or may not happen. We all need to be prepared for these times! Praying that you all will be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Teri,
    Thank you so much for your prayers. We are as prepared as we can be right now. My parents are nervous...we had a similar storm at the beginning of the summer which did severe damage to their home and property. We are thankful that the Lord is always with us...and we are thankful that friends are praying.
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the weather report for Hurricane Earl this morning...we will be praying for you and for your parents. I am sure after the last storm this makes one rather anxious. We have several friends on Cape Cod and also the areas in SE Massachusetts and Rhode Island. All are doing the normal preparations...and then leaving the rest to the Lord. He has the control over the wind and the seas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mandy,
    We appreciate your concern and prayers. Latest update has issued us a tropical storm warning...high winds, much rain, power outages...you'd never believe it right now...it is gorgeous outside. We are planning on attending Daniel's soccer game this afternoon...he coaches a local varsity/JV team. Then we'll just wait and see...

    Mom and Dad are nervous, of course, because of the last storm. The boys are housesitting for our neighbors...so they are making sure that everything is safe and secure.

    And God is in control...
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm visiting through at link over at Maria's blog :o)
    I live in Florida so I sure KNOW what hurricanes are like !!!
    Hope this 'Earl' won't cause too many problems and the places that it may affect that the people will be safe and not in harms way.

    I thoroughly enjoyed your previous post:
    Homeschooling 101. just precious.

    I'll be back to visit, and maybe, as I'd be so glad to have you come on over to visit at my place too- I'll see you there "o)

    Blessings in the Lord,
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Deanna,
    Thank you so much for visiting and for your thoughtful concerns and prayers. When I have a few moments...I am going to visit you!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your warm welcome on my blog and thank you for the reminder that although we can never be sure when a disaster will come we can be prepared for what really matters - eternity. Have a blessed day.

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs. Wiley,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. It is so good to remind ourselves, and others, to prepare for eternity.
    I also really enjoy those verses in Hebrews.

    In Christ,
    Christianna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Alana,
    I truly enjoyed your first posts...and look forward to seeing where your journey takes you!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    Dear Miss Christianna,
    So good to hear from you! We have enjoyed reading through Hebrews as a family...and discussing the importance of putting Christ first in every aspect of our lives.
    Sweet blessings to you and your family!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...