We love to visit the fairs...it is such a wonderful opportunity to talk with farmers...share ideas...get tips...and make new friends!

We have seriously been considering adding a milking goat (or two!) to our "little farm"....for milk, cheese, yogurt, and, of course, soap!

So...I have been asking lots of questions...and watching...we are leaning toward a Nigerian dwarf...If any of you have had experience with dairy goats and would like to share...I would welcome any comments!
"And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens." Proverbs 27:27
Being a farmer's wife I so love the agricultural fairs in our community.. how nice they must be in Maine, the cool breeze and fresh air.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day,
Virginia
Hello Mrs. Laura!
ReplyDeleteIt's been awhile since I've commented here, and I thought that I might as well weigh in on this topic... It's one of my favorites. :)
I've never had a Nigerian dwarf, but they do give quite a bit of milk for the their size, and it might be enough for your family. We use a lot, so we needed a bigger breed. We usually had crosses - Alpine/Nubian being my absolute favorite. They were very hardy, had wonderful tasting milk, and great personalities. There were times that we were absolutely drowning in milk (milking three)... Which was okay, because our soap recipe calls for starting with frozen milk - so we froze a lot of extra. My best milker probably averaged about a gallon a day.
As far as numbers... I would definitely suggest that you go with two. They can't stand to be alone, and will drive you crazy if they don't have company! Two also works well, because you can breed them at different times, and stagger when they are milking - so that you can have milk year around. They are amazing animals, and so much fun to have around!
Dear Miss Kate,
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to hear from you! Thank you so much for your advice...I really wanted to hear from someone who had had a lot of experience with goats! One of our "neighbors" has nubians, and he really likes them as well. Do you find that there really is that big of a difference in taste? We are going to another fair next week that has quite a few goats on display...we will get the opportunity then to speak with some goat farmers.
Sorry to hear about your house...but your new one is looking great! God is so good...He always provides just what we need...when we need it!
With love,
Mrs. Laura
Hello again. :) I really don't have anything against purebred Nubians, they're so cute! (Have to love their ears :) But... their milk does seem to be a bit 'stronger' than other breeds, and they are known to be extremely noisy - almost whiney... They just don't sound like you'd would expect a goat to sound - maybe you'll get to hear them at the fair for comparison. :)
ReplyDeleteYou would be surprised at the difference in milk taste from breed to breed, and also goat to goat. Maybe your neighbor would let you try some? Many people had a hard time telling the difference between our goat's milk and whole cow's milk. I would suggest buying a goat while it's milking, and taste the milk before you make a decision. One time we ended up with a gorgeous goat - and undrinkable milk. It was just a unexplainable bad taste that only she had. She became our "soap goat." :) - Most goat milk tastes wonderful.
We've had mainly Alpines (pure and mixed) over the years, and loved them. Be sure to visit some of them at the fair too. :)
Well, Miss Kate, you've sold me...how about a trip to Maine? Do you deliver? I would love to have a "seasoned" farmerette help me pick the best "girl"!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a goat for you! But we've been out of the goat business since last Winter. We're just in a different season of life at the moment, and too busy to keep them. If we weren't so busy - we'd definitely be up to making a trip out to Maine; but probably couldn't get there as soon as you'd like to have a goat... :) Keep me updated on how the search goes!
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Kate,
ReplyDeleteYou are too sweet...even though you don't have any goats for us...the invitation always stands if you and your family are ever visiting New England! Perhaps we'll have a goat (or two or three!) by then! Thank you for the e-mail address...I'll definitely be sending for those two recipes! I'll keep you undated on our search!
Blessings,
Mrs. Laura