Monday, August 23, 2010

"Fruits" of Thy Labor...

After two winters of some pretty intense wind storms, we spent four long days this spring cleaning up...dragging "blow downs" to the garden to be burned, cutting up salvageable wood for firewood, trimming, raking, burning, hauling some to the dump...did I mention that these were four very LONG days? I don't think that we have ever been so dirty...or so tired...in our lives...

But...God is so good...yesterday, when my husband was out at the mulch pile, I heard him call my name. "Come look!" he cried. Out behind the pile, in a spot that we had "cleaned up"...we found...





Loads and loads of wild blackberries!



So...our four days of labor...really produced "fruit!"



My brother-in-law had shared with me recently that he had been told by a person from the agricultural department that berry bushes can lie dormant for up to 100 years...and then show up after cutting is done and sun gets in to the spot.


And so we thank you, Lord, and we praise your holy name, for all the many sweet blessings you bestow upon us each and every day. May we never be "too busy" to notice these blessings...and may we always be grateful.

Today, we will pick, and freeze, and maybe eat just a little!



On a side note, I find that plastic milk or juice jugs, with a hole cut like this, make great containers for picking berries, or beans, or cherry tomatoes...or just about anything!




"For thou shalt eat (the fruits of) the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee..." Psalm 128:2

5 comments:

  1. We reap and sow. Sometimes the fruit seems slow in coming, then, praise, we see the fruit of our labor. Thanks for the wonderful reminder and encouragement. Fruit will come...
    Many Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, We have blackberries all over our property. Just curious--why do you cut a whole in the gallon jug?

    We need to do some more pruning on our property too..but it's not in the 70's and no way are we going to do it on 100 degree weather!

    Sounds like so much fun when the weather is nice. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question, Donna! I should have been more specific. I've found that if you cut it this way, and only fill up as far as the top of the plastic, the berries don't get "crushed". I've done it with just cutting a bigger mouth in the top...but the bottom berries get too smushed before I'm done. The handle is great for carrying though.

    Virginia, I just love your insights. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I wonder if they really can stay dormant that long! Amazing! How yummy and lucky to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - I just popped over from A Joyful Chaos and that prayer you left for her friends was the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. That was so heartfelt and really tugged at my heartstrings. By the way, congrats on winning her book giveaway!! I've got that book and it's wonderful ~ ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...