
Take, for instance, the lovely hollyhocks that grow so tall...

Or the multicolored petunias...

Or the beautiful bell-shaped foxglove...

Or even, the flowers from our potato plants...
Yes, I love the flowers...but, like most of you, I do not care for the weeds! Several years ago I stumbled across a terrific way to get rid of these nasty buggers...and it is so easy! All you need is some white vinegar, an empty spray bottle, and the sun!

I saved an empty windex bottle and filled it with white vinegar...
Then, on a bright sunny day...go out and spray your weeds! Soak them right down. This is especially great for weeds between the cracks in your walkways and weeds that creep into your dirt driveways. The key ingredient, however, is the sun! This will not work on a cloudy day. Let the vinegar react with the sun's rays and heat, go back several hours later, and your weeds with be DEAD! It's so easy!

And as I am weeding in my garden, I am reminded of the need to "weed" out those things in my life that are unproductive...unproductive for Him, that is. Because, you see, we have some beautiful "weeds" here in Maine, we call them wildflowers. And I have things in my life, that although in and of themselves they are perfectly fine activities, I should be constantly "weeding" them in light of the Son. For just as summer is the season for flowers and weeds, we are all in a different "season" of our lives, and it is important for us the discern what God desires from us in this particular season. As a wife and a mother, I am reminded of the importance that God places on my role to "nurture" our home...and those who live in it.
"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Proverbs 31: 27-28
Laura, this was such a beautiful post!! I love how you tied weeding in the garden with weeding out activities in our lives. I couldn't agree more, by the way, there are several things that are attractive, but are too consuming and not good for us.
ReplyDeleteAlso, thanks for the vinegar and sun tip, I can't wait to try it. Those chemicals get so expensive and I'm always worried someone is going to injest it somehow.
Hope you're having a lovely day :)
Ohhhh, I remember my mom growing hollyhocks when I was a little girl. Haven't thought about them in years...hmmm, I wonder where I could plant some?! And my vegetable plants are all filled with blossoms right now. Even those kind of flowers are pretty, aren't they? :-)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Tammy ~@~
Wonderful post! I will also be trying the vinegar trick tomorrow. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteDear Sweet Ladies,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the encouraging words. I just love this little tip...vinegar is so versatile! I use it in so many ways. Tammy, the hollyhocks that we have came from sees from my husband's mom's garden...she is home with the Lord now...but they remind us of her every year when they bloom.
With love,
Laura
Laura,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your words of wisdom.. Weeding our lives to let the "Son" Shine in.
Our family has started a garden in our yard. I will use the vinegar..
Thank you for visiting my blog and your encouraging words. God speaks to my heart through your blog also.
In Christ,
Virginia
Beautiful flowers! Holly hocks and fox gloves are some of my favourites. Holly hocks I can grow but foxgloves require a bit extra thought and time here our harsh climate.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the vinegar tip. I love using natural ingredients instead of chemicals.
I am also a great user of vinegar all around the house :-) It is very versatile and it leaves a nice scent when it begins to evaporate...all clean :)
ReplyDeleteYour analogy is quite appropriate, the weeds in my life sometimes choke my love for My Saviour!
Thank you for stopping by the cottage. It was so lovley to read your encouraging words.
In His Peace,