
Our newest little "ladies" are growing by leaps and bounds! It seems that just a short time ago, they were only day old chicks...

And now, after just a little over a month, look at how big they are!

That is, all except for this little one...
This little girl has been tiny from day one...the runt, you might say. To be honest, we didn't expect her to make it from the beginning. She is only half the size of the other ladies. Whenever we get a new batch of chicks, we usually lose one or two...so, it was to be expected. But she kept growing, only just not as quickly as the others. We began to watch her more closely...to see if the other ladies would pick on her, which is usually the case with a runt. But they don't. In fact, they pretty much ignore her.
So, why does she grow so slowly? Well, we have noticed that she is quite timid...she won't try to get any food or water if the other girls are feeding. She just waits until there is nobody at the feeder...which is almost never! And thus, she doesn't seem to grow as quickly as the rest.
You see, she needs food to grow...but she also needs to take the initiative to get that food for herself. And we are much like this little chick...we need spiritual "food" to grow...we need to "feed" on the Word of the Lord everyday...but this will not happen unless we take the initiative. Without this spiritual "food", we will become weak...like this little chick.
Now, if she does not start catching up soon, we may need to separate her from the brood and take the time to give her some special attention. Much in the same way as we should help our "younger" sisters in Christ...come alongside them...help them to "feed" on the Word of God...so that they may grow.
"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious." 1 Peter 2-3
Hi Laura ~ I love your blog...always so much to ponder! Thank you for sharing! Sweet blessings! Teri
ReplyDeleteThat is so true Laura! I have raised a lot of chickens and always feel so bad that one always seems to miss out. But they do usually make it. Thanks for sharing these sweet photos! I miss having chickens. Our poor coop is empty--the fox got them all last year and Tim hasn't had time to reinforce the walls so I can have a new brood. Sniff!
ReplyDeletexo
Donna @ Comin' Home
www.thehomemakingarts.blogspot.com
Hello Mrs. Donna,
ReplyDeleteWe had trouble with a fox last summer...in fact, he went into our chicken coop while the hens were out scratching around the yard! We have to be careful...since we live right in the middle of the woods. We also have an issue with hawks and owls.
By the way, your blog looks really interesting!
Have a great day!
Josh
Hi Laura~
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by The Sewing Room today! Sewing for wee ones is like sewing for a little doll! It is fun, but it is hard for me to sew those tiny seams and such! My eyes aren't what they used to be! I hope you make a little layetter for your neice's baby. Let me know if you do ~ I would love to see it!
Oh, your little 'runt' chicky is too cute! I have had chickens since I was a small girl and have never had a 'runt'! (except for banty chicks that are small anyway!) I hope she makes it ~ I'm sure she will thrive and be a great bird with some individual attention! (A real pet chicken!) What a great analogy to our needing spiritual food!
Blessings!
Thanks Laura for your kind comments. I wasn't feeling terrible but just sad that I missed feeling that sense of stability and security that comes from having taken that time to be in the Lord's presence. It happens now and then that I get to busy...but the Lord certainly knows how to draw me back in. I'm afraid it's way to easy to get into my 'Martha' mode. Ha!
ReplyDeleteDarling photos of your chickies!
I so enjoy how you take the every day and turn it into a life lesson!!!
ReplyDeleteHope your Sunday is blessed!!
In His Love....Deb
Thats what we did with the little lambs we would take them home As I was groing up on a farm in Oregon,when they gave birth to 2-3 if I remember they would pick one to not feed for some reason probebly choosing to feed the stronger one ,by instict her not having enough milk for all, my mom and I would take it home and we had it in a box by the door we fed it powder milt in a 7-up bottle and boy they would drink it up ,I often took the box in my room and pet there head at night I have so many pleasant memories while growing up on the farm.
ReplyDeleteHey Laura, I can't swear they will work for kitchen counters. The Home Depot guys used this for their desks and they are recommended for bathroom counters. I don't know for sure about kitchens as far as wear and tear. I do know that you have to let each of three coats dry for 24 hours and then sit for 3 days after that to cure. It takes a lot of patience to do it right. Also, be sure it is very clean in the room you are working and put your hair up so hairs don't break off and fall in the paint. Dust and hair can get permanently embedded in the paint. I thought I had cleaned good enough, but I found a a stray hair or two which I know broke off while I was working.
ReplyDeleteAlso, don't use a brush--use a roller. And buy some very small rollers for tight places. You just have to be real careful applying this stuff.
July 12, 2010 2:26 PM