Friday, June 25, 2010

Putting It Off...

We just had our septic system pumped out the other day. Please don't panic...I didn't take any pictures...although as my son was finishing up his lessons at the kitchen table, and the big truck was making horrific noises in our yard, he did ask why I wasn't taking pictures for my blog. Guess he's getting used to me looking for photo opportunities all throughout my day!


It all started with a little gurgle.We heard it one evening after my three sons (no pun intended) came inside after a hot, sticky game of basketball. They were all in desperate need of showers...and laundry was definitely on my list! Well, after the third shower...we heard this little gurgle in the drain. My husband asked, "Can you remember the last time we had our system pumped?" I thought that it had only been a few years...but boy, does time fly when you're not watching! We looked at our records...it had been over 10!

So...the next evening my husband dug up the covers...and without going into detail...we were definitely in need of having this service done...SOON! I called our local serviceman the next day...told him of our dilemma...his response was..."Boy, sounds like you might have trouble!" He promised to be out the next day. I immediately went into worry mode...what if we needed a whole new system? This just wasn't in the budget for this year...we need to shingle the roof. I tried to give it to God...but still...I worried.

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."
I Peter 5:7

The next day, as the gentleman and his father took care of things...I watched from the kitchen door and began to ponder...what else had I been putting off?

...Are there more chores that need doing before problems arise?

...Are there promises I've made that I haven't kept yet?

...Have I hurt someone and need to ask for forgiveness?

...Is there someone I need to forgive?

...Are there unrepentant sins in my life?

...Is there someone that I need to share Jesus with?

I thought about these things as I waited for the results. Praise God, our system did not need any further repair. I sent the man and his father away with blueberry muffins, my recipe for natural garden pesticide, and my heartfelt gratitude to them and to my Savior. And a promise to myself...to try and not "put things off" anymore.

"That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Ephesians 4:22-24

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura ~ It is always so nice to have those things taken care of and know that there will be many years before it has to be done again! How sweet of you to send them off with something special that came from your home! Blessings for your weekend! Hugs ~ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, as I read this, I'm trying to declog my kitchen sink and disposal with a homemade remedy of boiled vinegar and baking soda. Waiting on water to boil as I check blogs =)

    So glad your septic issue wasn't major. I truly understand the frustation and worry of hoping it's nothing MAJOR. Seems everytime we have money put aside, something like this happens, but as I count my blessings, we always seem to make it! God is good! Have a lovely weekend! =)

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! Made me laugh and then made me think. I also put things off. I have a habit of procrastinating too much and leave everything to the last minute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...