Friday, June 18, 2010

Head Covering




I just finished this
little newborn hat.



I really love this pattern (I have included the directions at the end of this post)...it is so simple and easy to take with you when you go to an appointment and have to wait. I especially like it because of the story behind it. I got this pattern from my sister's mother-in-law. She is an elderly lady in Vermont who is very limited in mobility due to back and leg issues...and so she knits...hats upon hats. What does she do with all these hats? Well, she brings them into the hospital to donate to the newborns. This is her ministry. When I am working on one of these and someone asks me what I'm making...I tell them about Lucille...and about Jesus.

So, what is a hat? Most simply put...it is a head covering. Something that we put on to protect the head. Lately, I've been hearing about so much controversy over the issue of women and headcoverings. It always saddens me when Christians argue. It is my feeling that instead of arguing with one another, and trying to determine who is "right" and who is "wrong"...what we ought to be doing is "diligently searching the scriptures".

"Then shalt thou inquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and behold, if it be truth..." Deuteronomy 13:14

I get goosebumps when I am reading the scriptures and God points out a Truth to me. I may have read that same passage hundreds of times before...but suddenly, I see it in a whole new "Light". Last evening our family was in Matthew. We began to talk about his recording of Jesus' first act of his ministry...being baptised. An act of obedience. And God was so pleased.

"And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17

That's what it's all about, ladies...plain and simple...obedience. Because we love Him, not because we have to. The Law was the Old Covenant...now we obey out of love...because we want to please Him.

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:" Ephesians 4:10


Funny, this headcovering issue wasn't even a concern 50 or 60 years ago. Back then, when you entered a church, every women wore a hat of some sort. Perhaps it is an issue now because back then the women were not instructed as to why they should cover their heads...and so they did not pass this act of obedience on to their daughters.


We shouldn't just do things blindly...we need to know why we do what we do. If not, we will be easily tempted to go another way. So ladies, search the scriptures for every Truth. Pray and wait for God to reveal His Word to you. Until He does, He does not hold you under obligation. Turn to your husbands and other men of God for help with answers to your questions. And then, be obedient...because you love Him.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" 2 Timothy 4:15





Newborn Baby Hat Instructions...

Use a set of No. 4 Needles and baby or sport yarn

Cast on 72 stitches and distribute evenly on three needles.

K2 P2 around each row until piece measures 6 1/2 inches long.

Next row: *K2, K2 together. Repeat * around entire row.

Next row: *K1, K2 together. Repeat * around entire row.

Last row: *K2 together. Repeat * around entire row.

Pull yarn through remaining stitches.

Top with PomPom.

Turn bottom of hat up about 1 inch to form rim.

6 comments:

  1. What a precious baby hat...and a precious post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura ~ Thank you for sharing this sweet story and also the scriptures! Simple blessings for your weekend! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was good, Laura!
    Just because I love Him,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome post, and well written! It truly is a joy to see other brethren defending, and shedding light on God's awesome Word. We truly HONOR our Father when we obey out of love. I can't imagine living my life any other way! Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I came across your blog through another blog I follow and have signed up as a follower. When you’re free, please do visit me and let me know what you think of my blog (spiritual)and leave a comment. If you like, do follow as well. I am always open to great new people and interesting websites. Look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi laura I see you will take part in the quilt along, it should be fun, I have alot of scraps.thanks for taking part with me take care theodora

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...