Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What A Pest!

I just love my vegetable garden...



Unfortunately, so do many other little critters...such as the deer, racoons, chickens, birds, and BUGS!

In the past, we have tried many things to keep our garden pest free...fences, scarecrows, sprinkling eggshells or hair trimmings or whatever the latest pesticide free trend was. Some things worked...others didn't.

Then I stumbled across a recipe in a magazine that has been such a blessing for me...not only for pests in my veggie garden...but also on flowers and shrubs.

The original recipe called for one onion, one clove of garlic, and one of the hottest peppers you can find. I have adapted this recipe...my new version is cheaper and easier to make!

My PEST ASIDE! Recipe
What you need...
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups boiling water
5 gallon garden sprayer




Mix ingredients together in bowl with lid, cover the mixture and let it set overnight. Believe me, by morning this will stink!





Strain mixture through cheesecloth to catch any unmixed powder. Pour into garden sprayer and then fill sprayer to the top with warm water.





Spray anything that you want to keep "pest free". Because of the taste, critters won't touch the plants!

I usually spray about once every two to three weeks...or after a heavy rain because the mixture will wash off.

I buy the cheapest variety of spices...our Renys,Walmart, and Dollar Store carry these for 50 cents each. A very inexpensive and non-toxic pesticide!

Another helpful garden hint...I hang dryer sheets cut in thirds along some of the veggies that the birds really like...I buy the cheapest and smelliest brand... it works better than a scarecrow...they don't like the smell or the motion from the blowing dryer sheet! Sorry feathered friends!


Best news of all...

I made up some of my "pest-aside!" so that I could take pictures for this post...I really didn't plan to use it today. Well, God had other plans. As I was working in the garden, the phone rang, and a neighbor that we've been witnessing to, both through our words and our lives, called to ask me for this recipe! She was having a major problem with slugs! I told her that I had just made some up and I would send Samuel right down with it, along with a bagful of eggshells (sprinkle these around your plants...slugs won't crawl over them!). Another opportunity to "share"...Praise God!


"...and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all." Isaiah 31:12b

17 comments:

  1. Your Pest Aside recipe seems simple enough to make...I will try the recipe this year. But tell me, will it keep our cats out of the gardens? We need help with them. Lydia thinks they might have to go...no one else likes that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mandy,
    I think that it would definitely be worth a try...we have a barn cat and he certainly doesn't like the smell of it. He has never bothered our plants...and we've had him about 4 years now. Hope it helps your situation!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura ~ Thank you for sharing this recipe to keep creatures away! Your garden space looks lovely...so neat and tidy! God does work in His own very special way! Blessings ~ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I will be sharing it with some of my friends who were looking for safe things to spray their veggies with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this- we have a big problem with our garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Laura!! I'd love to blog about this today and encourage readers to come visit you. Would that be OK? I'd just give them a photo and a teaser and tell them to drop by here to get the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Donna,
    You're welcome to share it with your readers...I know how discouraging it can be to put a lot of time and effort into a garden! I hope this will help others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I come from Donna's and wanted to read your recipe for pests and thank you so much. I will try it and pass it on to other friends that may need a "pest" killer. Tee Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not on the inside of the house lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great. I need to try it too! I wonder if you could use it like a barrier for ants and slugs around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the wonderful garden tips.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister sent me a link to your blog. I use natural pesticides too, but your recipe seems much different. I think I will give it a try. I'm pretty desperate and declaring war on my garden. We've had such a nasty drought last year here in Texas, and this year, we're getting the rain and my garden is looking lush, but the bugs are smacking their lips! Today, I used half a teaspoon of Cayenne pepper, half tsp of garlic salt, and a few drops of Dawn dish soap, mixed in warm water and used a large spray bottle. I sprayed my plants. My husband didn't know and remarked how hot his Jalapeno's were. They were so "hot" all he had to do was TOUCH them. Well, my daughter laughed and said that I had sprayed his hot peppers too! hehe. So, I know my pesticide works on hubbies too! ;-)

    Nice blog. I'll be saving to visit more later. Always good to find fellow Christian bloggers! =) http://www.sluglines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Henen,
    Thanks for stopping by! I have another little tip that works great on aphids. I fill a spray bottle with 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/2 cup water and 2 teaspoons of dish soap. Spray it on the leaves in the evening every few days. I understand that it suffocates them and will leave your flowers looking beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I'll give this a try too. I'm really desperate! I have sooo many watermelon plants and I really don't want to give them all way to those darn cucumber beetles! Grrr! Also, have you tried any commercial ORGANIC pesticides? Also, I'm new to your blog, so hadn't read much yet. Are you using hybrid or non hybrid seeds? I'm doing both this year, but plan to go totally non hybrid next year, this is why I won't use POISON in my garden, as I want to keep essential bugs around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My only concern is for the vegetables that this was sprayed on. Does this effect the taste of the vegetables after they have been sprayed?

    I'm sure that if you didn't wash the vegetables carefully it would effect the taste because it would still be on the outside but I wonder if they also absorb some of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the question. We have been using this method for several years and haven't noticed any "taste" from the spices. We usually don't spray them close to the time we plan to pick...and, we always wash our vegetables. Good question!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for sharing the recipe , I wish I had a vegetable garden I live in the city but,my heart is in the country I love the photos of your garden your so lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...