
My father served in the Army/Air Force during World War II. Every year, he drives his restored 48 Ford in the parade. My youngest rides in the passenger seat and has since he was big enough to see over the dashboard. And the rest of us go to watch...and to honor my dad.
"Honour thy father and thy mother..." Matthew 19:19
My father is 86. Looking at him yesterday, I realized that he might not be able to drive his 48 next year in the parade...that in fact, my youngest son would perhaps be driving instead, and my dad would ride in the passenger seat. I know that Samuel would be proud to do this...to honor his grandfather.As we watched the remainder of the parade...I noticed that some were there for other reasons...to collect contributions, to throw candy, to promote some other cause...but not to honor. At the end of the parade is a memorial service, with band music, guest speakers, a 21 gun salute, and a laying of the wreath. As we stood, I noticed that many were not there to listen to the service, but only to catch up on the latest happenings with those they hadn't seen since perhaps the last Memorial Day parade. I wondered why they were there. And suddenly, I felt very sad.
It concerned me that perhaps this Memorial Day parade/service was like many church services that go on each and every Sunday all across our country. That many attend for other reasons; to socialize, to hear great music, or perhaps to catch up on the latest gossip, but not to honor and worship our Lord, Jesus Christ.
I wonder if this makes Him sad???
"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father." John 5:23
Laura~
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed seeing this post. My Brian just bought a truck that I hope some day will look like your fathers. I love it!
The ant killer works great with Borax. I used it last summer and just put it out again.
Have a great week!
Laura, That was wonderful! How true! My son is a Marine (two terms now but no fighting) and a russian translator. He feels that no one cares about the men in the military. I feel more love and respect for our servicemen than I ever have because of him. His heart breaks when his friends have to die. They won't let him fight, but he will soon be in Afghanistan and then he will be vulnerable.
ReplyDeleteI thought often of my Father this weekend though he was never allowed to be in the service. He wanted to be very much. His self-portrait was on the wall with his great-grandparents photo and his cowboy hat and cane. It was so meaningful to me to have a display to remind me of Dad since he only passed away this January.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Laura,
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me so much of our village, Walpole. Every year we have the parade, the speeches, the bands, the ceremonies...the "prayer". I often wonder if the young people and many of the older people know why we have Memorial Day. Today there is not remembrance of those who have gone before us...history is lost to many. Doug Phillips often talks about remembering the fathers, remembering those who stood firm in history. Doug posted some pictures from the Memorial Day celebration that Scott Brown host every year. You can look at it at http://www.visionforum.com/hottopics/blogs/dwp/ .
Mandy
Laura, these things sadden me, too. In April I participated in a Susan G. Komen walk for the cure. At the finish line I saw some lady with a huge political sign. She was trying to drum up supporters for her city council race. I thought it was beyond tacky because the race event was about finding a cure, and it had nothing to do with her. I made my mind up not to vote for her right then and there. Well, also because she was a member of the party I don't vote for, but that's besides the point.
ReplyDeleteSo, to see people with an agenda at a Memorial Day event is also beyond tacky and it's just plain heartbreaking. They just don't get it.
Our country wouldn't be where it is today without men like your father who bravely wrote a blank check to the United States with their lives.
Laura ~ Thank you for sharing this...thank you to your dad for all that he did for all of us! My dad was a World War II veteran. He has been gone for many years now...but I know how proud he was to serve his country. I think it is wonderful that your son and his grandpa are sharing these times together. Our son and "daughter" are gathering all of my dad's military items together and are working on a display...as a remembrance...as well as memories that can be shared and enjoyed! Our son was very close to his grandpa and reminds us in so many ways of his grandpa! We are so proud of our son and "daughter" for honoring my dad and keeping his memory alive...even though he no longer is with us here! God bless! Teri
ReplyDeleteWhat a special post! I've heard it said that a lot of people in our churches on Sunday morning....won't make it to heaven...because they feel just showing up at church is "good enough". Like you said, it's so very sad!!! I love your Dad's truck. And...we have a Samuel, too...our first grandson!!!
ReplyDeleteDear Ladies,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for all your heartfelt comments. We are all so blessed to have special people in our lives...and even more blessed because our our Lord and Savior.
You are all so special.
Blessings,
Laura
Hi Laura, Thanks so much for dropping by. I just wanted to let you know that I so appreciate your nice comments on my quilting. I loved your garden post and was so glad to have something so unique to share.
ReplyDeleteYou're a real blessing!
What a great post! And so very true :(
ReplyDeleteI'm a US Navy Veteran and had the honor of doing Color Guard/Funerals for the Navy, along with being a Tour Guide for the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. It was such an honor and privilege to shake those veteran's hands who served and lost fellow shipmates during the war. Unfortunately, the young people tend to think of Memorial day as just another day off from work, a time to fire up the grill, and CELEBRATE.