Saturday, May 1, 2010

Transplanting Lilacs

Okay, yesterday was the big day. We were finally going to transplant my two lilac bushes.Of course, the blackflies were out in full force. They usually disappear once the wind picks up a bit and sun comes out, but time was of the essence...we had so much to accomplish this sunny Saturday...and the lilacs were "numero uno" on our list!


Now, truthfully, I liked the lilacs right where they were. In the spring, I could look right out my kitchen window and see them in full bloom. And, of course, if it was a warm day, I would leave the kitchen door open and the smell of fresh lilac would fill the whole house. But my husband said they had to go. He said that they were creeping into the leech bed...and that is definitely a "no-no".


While swatting flies and supervising, which I am very good at, I was reminded of the verses in I Timothy which instructs us to remove ourselves from things that tempt us or will cause us to sin...

"But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition."
I Timothy 6:9

"But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness." I Timothy 6:11

So, I understand why the lilacs need to be transplanted, and why sometimes we are required to "remove" some worldly things from our lives...in order to "follow after righteousness..."

6 comments:

  1. Found your blog from Ms. Donna over at Comin' Home. Love how you incorporated a Bible reference in transplanting lilacs!!! Hope you have a blessed week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Deb,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I just took a hop over to yours...I love it! Isn't it amazing how God brings his children together. Hope you, too, have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Laura....I left you the earlier message, then I went to see my daughter and grandsons. The hubby had 2 meetings at church so I decided to stay home because of the weather predictions, I didn't want to drive back over there by myself. Anyway...long story short....I prayed on the way home from my daughter's about working....if God wanted me to go back to work would He give me a sign....and I came home and read the comment you left on my blog. WOW!! Didn't take Him long at all to answer that prayer!!! Thank you so much for your insight and for the comment you left and for obeying the Holy Spirit to share your thoughts with me!!! I'm your newest follower!!!
    In His Love...and with mine...Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Deb,
    I just shared your comment with my husband...we both have tears in our eyes.
    God is so good...bless you for sharing.
    With love and prayers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura, I really love your post today. I liked how you made an analogy to that scripture with the lilacs. I had a slightly different thought from reading how much like them and how sweet smelling they were and pretty. My first thought, was that it seems like the Lord has been removing lilacs from life quite a bit lately, but these are good things in and of themselves...just in the wrong place and time. That's the hard thing. We know that the worldly things to go, and he's been working on that too, but what's harder for me is when he takes something special away from me, something good and worthy, only because that is part of his plan. And it is HIS best for me.

    Thank you for such a helpful analogy! I've been praying for a song to work on today, and it deals with this struggle of letting the Lord remove everything that distracts or intereferes with his purposes. He wants to be first and the lilacs can definitely distract from the bigger picture of what is more important.

    Thanks for visiting and encouraging me. :o) I'm glad you've joined bloggy land!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Donna,
    I just love your comment...it really hit home with me, also. I've been struggling with the fact that my parents are selling their home...it is really too big for them. Yet, for the past 20 years, they have lived "just down the dirt road" from us. I can't imagine them not being so close. I have 9 other siblings, so there is the possibility that they could move closer to one of them. Selfishly, I want them to always be right near us, but I know that the Lord may have other plans...so I, like you, struggle with "good things" being removed for His purpose.
    Thanks again for making me feel so welcomed as I begin this blogging journey!
    In His name,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...