Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Little Bit Corny...

We spent a good part of Saturday in the garden.



I'm am so excited...our corn is already "popping" up! We generally don't even plant corn until around Memorial Day...but because God blessed us this year with a mild winter and a not so rainy spring...we are already seeing evidence of His bounty.

Some might say it's a "little bit corny" ...to get so excited over some seedlings poking up.


My parents often refer to me as "Little House" when I call on the phone. Having raised 10 children, many now with children of their own, my parent's phone is always ringing. When I call, my mom or dad will affectionately holler to the other one..."Little House is on the phone!" Why, you may ask? It is in reference to "Little House on the Prairie". Although the Maine coast is about as far from the prairie as you can get, our lifestyle is similar in many ways to that of Laura Ingalls Wilder...and thus the name "Little House". Some might say it's a "little bit corny"...but I don't mind.



Some might say that it is "a little bit corny" in this day and age that we live off the land as much as possible, that we educate at home, that we hold tight to our Christian values, that we feel it necessary to be obedient to God even when no one is watching, that I wear dresses, that we love the feel of warm farm fresh eggs from our hens, that we have taught our sons to be respectful of and to learn from their elders, that we don't have a dish or cable, that I love to cook and sew and take care of our household, that our sons don't believe in casual dating, but are patiently waiting to find and become betrothed to a Godly young lady...who might just possibly be "a little bit corny"...just like us.

But I don't mind...there is a peace in living a simple life close to God.


"And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven." Psalm 78:24

4 comments:

  1. Laura ~ I admire your family for being "a little bit corny"...our family is "kinda" from that "field" also! I love all that you have shared in this post! I too, love everything "Little House on the Prairie." Have you read the "Love Come Softly" series? They are on DVD also. Your sons sound like wonderful guys and how proud you and your husband must be! God Bless! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Teri,
    Thanks so much for the words of endearment...I can tell from your blog that you are "a little corny" also...that's while I love to read it! I have read the "Love Comes Softly Series" and seen the DVDs (we have an awesome library system here in Maine!). Many blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister! If that is called corny, then count me in. I would rather follow Christ and be considered different, than give in to the pleasures of this world for a short time. My hubby loved your greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell your husband...I love my greenhouse, too! My husband and sons built it for me last year...for Mother's Day! It was so simple...it's 8' X 8'...just pvc pipe, a few boards, and some greenhouse plastic. My youngest son designed a back window out of an old ladder (which is hinged) for ventilation. The shelving inside is old screens...project cost next to zilch...which is our kind of budget! You can get the plastic from commercial greenhouses for next to nothing (when they change theirs they usually sell or give away old plastic).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...