Monday, May 17, 2010

A Horse of a Different Color

One day, while visiting a local thrift shop, I spied this little wooden horse. I just knew that it would be perfect for the upcoming baby shower. My niece loves "old" furniture and anything handmade...so I was certain that she would be thrilled with it. It was in need of a bit of repair...one of the legs had a crack and the backrest was missing...but neither "fixes" were overwhelming...so I took it home to do over for my new grandniece or nephew.



My youngest son was a bit curious over the horse, since we have no little ones in our home at the moment. "What's it for?" he asked. "I'm doing it over for Erin," I smiled and then in all my wit I added..."it's going to be a horse of a different color!"

As I worked on the project over the next two weeks, my husband graciously adding the backrest and fixing the crack, I began to ponder over the origin and meaning of that saying. From the research that I could gather on "a horse of a different color" (thanks to the internet!) I discovered the following information...

1. The Expression may, however, come from races in medieval tournaments, where armored knights were distinguished by the color of their horses. A favorite knight might have lost a race, leading one of his supporters to say "That's a horse of a different color" as the winner crossed the finish line.

2. It means an unrelated or irrelevant matter. Can also mean something which has a different significance or answer. For example, 'I can work all day, but working at night is a horse of a different color'. Another form of the expression is 'horse of another color'.

3. The phrase is recorded in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, Shakespeare using the expression as if it were quite familiar to his audience.

4.A horse of a different color metaphorically represents something that may be completely separate from what one originally expected. Frequently, a horse of a different color may be a complete surprise, an unexpected truth or a feature that seems somehow out of place...unlike the subject at hand.

5.At the risk of mixing metaphors, a horse of a different color may be likened to apples and oranges. In both idiomatic cases, folks may find themselves considering multiple issues, which may be quite contrasting. Like Dorothy's ruby slippers, a horse of a different color usually refers to a subject that breaks through preconceived notions or irrelevant assumptions.

6.Fairly often, "a horse of a different color" may refer to one person or item that does not fit in a group or series being discussed.

So I thought about these meanings...but perhaps not closely enough...as I sanded and painted and antiqued...and added a mane and a braided tail...and sewed a little Indian blanket...and prepared for the day of the shower.

The day of the shower arrived. We ladies sat at big round tables with adorable centerpieces and cute little gift bookmarks. I, of course, sat with family that I had not seen in quite a spell. And quickly, as it always seems to happen when women gather, the topic of conversation turned to gossip.

Needless to say...I was uncomfortable. I hadn't seen many of these folks in a long time...and I wanted to spend time with them. I also did not want to cause any hard feelings or create any issues. So...I sat there in silence...instead of removing myself from the table or commenting on the inappropriateness of the conversation.

And I wondered if I truly was "a horse of a different color" or if I was just "one of the herd".



Last evening, during our family Bible time, we were reading in the third chapter of James. My eldest son read...

For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold , we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. James 3:2-3

Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. James 3:10

And my heart broke.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing how God used scripture to high light something that you had just gone thru. Your uneasiness was, of course, the Holy Spirit. I find as I get older...He speaks to me more and more...but I don't always listen and heed!! Thank you for the reminder!!! Very good post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting about modesty. I love how the Lord works; how neat that your family was talking about modesty right before you saw my blog. I think it's great your son made the comment about boys needing to be modest, too.

    You are so right..we must hold ourselves and our children accountable to the standards of modesty.

    Thanks so much for visiting. I love your blog, too. Your quilt background with the saying about family is precious. I'm signing up to follow and look forward to getting to know you.

    May the Lord bless you,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard that saying before. Very interesting.

    As for gossip. I know how you feel. I always feel uncomfortable and nowadays I either stand up for the person being gossiped about, leave the room or have just asked that they not talk about someone I like in that way.

    The hardest bit is my dad has become the worst gossip as he has gotten older. I find I can change the subject easily on him though and steer him to nicer conversations. Just get him talking about his plants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. laura thank you for becomming a follower ,I love your blog, you realy did a wonderfull job on the cute rocking horse I coulnd'nt believe it was the same horse ,you sure are crafty. my computer has a virus, and there is an illnes in the family so I have'nt been able to blog nor been able to sew but, god willing I will be in the swing of things soon take care,theodora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Friends,
    Thank you all so much for your endearing comments...

    Deb...I'm like you....I don't always listen to the Holy spirit...and I know that I should. Funny thing, when I do, there is such a peace that you think I would always choose to do this. Go figure!

    Erin...modesty is such an important issue these days (but unfortunately it is not a new issue by any means). I cringe for our men (young and old)each time I am out in the public...to be constantly bombarded with the lack of modesty in the young girls today. And my heart goes out to these young ladies...if they only knew the love of our Savior.

    Antmee...don't you think it is the most difficult thing to point this out to the ones we are closest to? I'm learning that the best recipe for this is to live by example, instead of pointing fingers.

    Theodora...Thanks so much for the sweet comment about the rocking horse...I can't believe that you live all the way over in Athens, Greece and that you found little ole' me! I look forward to hearing more about your country and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Laura,
    I was just browsing through some older posts, and this one really blessed me. :)

    I've often slipped into the herd... when I should be that horse of a different color. Jesus is a different color, so to speak, than the world we often face.

    Thank you for bringing that to light. It really touches me.
    Love your friend and sister in Jesus Christ, Carra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...