Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Mother's Heart...

A package arrived in the mail last Saturday...
I had been expecting it...


You see, about 2 weeks after
we laid mama to rest...
My dad came down with pneumonia 
and has been in the hospital ever since.

My oldest sister had come for a visit
last weekend and had accidentally gone home
with the clothes and the watch that my dad was wearing 
when he was brought to the hospital...

She had called me to tell me that she was
sending them back to me...
And hoped that the watch would still be ticking!

To be honest..
I was trying hard not to dwell too much
on that fact that the next day was Mother's day...
But to keep my focus on helping my father...

When we picked up the mail..
I found that my sister had sent not one,
but two, packages...
A larger one for dad...
And a smaller one for me.

Didn't she do a fine job!

Inside was a note,
A small box,
and two potholders she had just finished...
 Her first attempt at paper piecing!


 When I opened the box
All the emotions I had been holding inside
 for weeks came pouring out...

For inside I found this beautiful necklace...
Fashioned from my mama's
engagement ring and wedding ring...

The perfect "Mother's Day" gift...


  I love you and miss you, mama...
With all my heart...

  "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you..."
Philippians 1:3

10 comments:

  1. Oh my Laura, what a lovely gift and lovely sister you have.. SO thoughtful.
    I thought about you on Mothers day.. Know it was a very hard day.. When my daddy died on St. Patricks day, every year the green stuff in the store, would break my heart and bring back the sad memories of that day.. Then Fathers day came. So very hard.
    Please know, I am praying for you.will pray for your dad too. We moved and I just now got my internet back.. hugs my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Judy...for your prayers and friendship. Dad is recovering slowly...each day presents a new battle...but God is so good...and His grace is sufficient.

      Praying that your move is going smoothly!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad...will be praying for him! What a thoughtful way to pass along your mother's wedding rings! That is beautiful! And, those potholders are so cheery looking.♥ Will continue to keep you in my prayers, sweet friend. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Melanie...for your kind words and prayers. My mama wore 4 rings...her mother's ring, her 50th anniversary ring, her engagement ring, and her wedding band. My oldest sister kept the mother's ring...she had given it to my mama many years ago. My middle sister received the anniversary ring...and of course, I got the heart. So we each have a very special reminder of mama.
      Dad is making slow but steady progress...he has a swallowing disorder...so aspiration pneumonia will be a constant battle...but we are trusting that God's hand is in all of this. Thank you so much for being such a good friend...
      Love and hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear, precious friend! My heart just aches with yours. My dear Mom passed away right before Mothers Day four years ago, and oh, it is SO hard to face those firsts! Dear Lord, bless you and comfort your dear hearts, as you grieve. I am SO sorry to hear that your dear Dad is so sick, and I am praying for all of you right now. May the God of all comfort wrap His loving arms around you and hold you extra close. That was SO sweet of your sister...what a thoughtful, touching thing to do. I am sure you draw much strength from each other during these difficult days. Sending you much love and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl...you are such a dear. Your sweet, kind words always have a way of soothing my soul...Dad is making steady progress...which is such a blessing. We just take "one day at a time" and thank Him for everything.
      With love,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Ms. Laura,
    My heart and prayers are with you. Oh how tears started in my eyes as I read your beautiful, heartfelt post and look at the photos. That is one of the most beautiful things I can imagine, having your mama's two rings in your beautiful necklace. That is so truly beautiful and special. How sweet and thoughtful the entire package was. What a blessing.

    I hope this day was very blessed for you and your family. I wanted to also thank you so much for making my day with your comment on my blog I just read, oh thank you for leaving your words♥ I'm always honored to know your kindness and have you visit my blog. Best wishes and much fun may you have on your new project you shared with me, how special that will be especially for what it is made of! Keeping your Dad in my prayers for him to be well and you and your family in my prayers and heart as well.

    Love and blessings!
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear sweet Miss Jazzmin,
      You are such a joy to me...always send a loving message of inspiration. I'm glad that you liked the necklace...my big sister got the idea from my sweet sister-in-law...who did it with her mama's wedding band and engagement ring. I will treasure it always.

      Thank you for your prayers for my dad. He is making steady progress. Hopefully some time in rehab will strengthen him and get him back "on his feet!" God has been our comforter through all of this...we are so blessed.

      I look forward to seeing some of your sewing projects! I have so many to finish...but with the nice weather I just want to be outside in the garden! Guess I'll save some for the rainy days! :)

      Have a blessed day, dear one...
      With love,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  5. How sweet your sister is!
    I remember from past posts how much you love your parents and did so much with them, I am very sorry about this difficult time for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...