Wednesday, April 20, 2016

"Hats Off" To My Inspiration...

Once a month,
Usually on a Thursday morning...
My 93 year old parents would eat their breakfast
 and  then head for the hospital...


Dad...to the coumadin clinic
to get his blood checked...

And mama...to the maternity ward...
To deliver more knitted hats.


You see, mama loved to
knit sweet little hats 
for all the newborn babies...

And even at 93 years old...
she could finish a hat a day
most days...

Two weeks ago today...
after a brief illness...
Mama went home to be with the Lord...


Perhaps...at another time...
I will write more about this incredible lady...
whose smile lit up my whole world...
But for now...the hurt is too close...


Dad gave me mama's knitting bag...
The one I had made for her years ago...
Inside was the last infant hat she was working on...


So...how could I not honor this amazing woman
who taught me so much...
except to pick up her stitches
and carry on her tradition...


"Her children arise up, and call her blessed; 
her husband also, and he praiseth her.
Many daughters have done virtuously,
 but thou excellest them all..."
Proverbs 31: 28-29 

The oldest and the youngest...

15 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I am so very sorry . I know you are heart broken. Praying for you and your dad/and family that you will feel God's loving arms around you, as never before. Your sweet mom is in heaven with Jesus today, and what a lovely time she is having. She is feeling no pain or sorrow. And she and your brother are having a great reunion. hugs my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words, dearest Judy...you are a true friend...

      Delete
    2. Laura, just checking on your dad.. Sending prayers for him and all of you.. Think about you often.. Big ole hugs.

      Delete
    3. Doing better each day...but wanting to go home in the worse way...some bumps in the road...but we'll get there! Thanks for caring! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear Laura! I am in tears...my heart goes out to you in a thousand ways. Your mother looks like such a precious lady...so full of love and kindness and compassion. Jesus called my precious mother home to be with Him in 2012. The pain is STILL so hard to bear. How does one ever stop hurting over such deep loss? Grief is a very odd thing...we think we are making some progress, only to hear their favorite song or see something that was dear to them or that reminds us of them, and we are propelled back to square one of the grieving process. The Lord called my dear Daddy home almost 15 years ago. So, dear friend, I do know how this all feels, and I just want to encourage you and remind you that God will be there for you...through it all. Sometimes, in moments of deepest grief, we can feel like He is a million miles away..we can feel that just when we need Him the most, He seems so distant. But, He is there...with you, right now, and He will never leave. I wish I could express how deeply I feel your pain...and just think, Jesus feels it even more keenly. He had to say good-bye to His dear mother, not through her death, but through His. You can feel the heartwrenching pain He felt as He cried out from the cross, "Woman, behold thy son", and to John, "Behold, thy mother"...He was transferring her care over to His beloved disciple, as He would no longer be there, in a physical form, to care for and about her. So, He KNOWS how it feels to endure that separation. Sorry to be so wordy, but I am just so concerned over your pain, and I am sending you my deepest sympathy. God hold you close. "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Deuteronomy 33:27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Cheryl,
      Your kind words...were just what I needed the first day I read them...and I have returned to them several times when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all. But God is so good...and He comforts me daily...
      With love and thanks,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful! I am sorry for your loss. What a wonderful mother!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet words, Mrs. White...they were like a warm hug...
      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Dearest Laura,
    How my heart aches for you and your family at your loss of someone so very, very precious. What an amazing lady and a truly wonderful, pure soul. I would loved to have known her or even met her just once to experience her loving kindness.

    Many prayers to lift you up and hugs from my heart to you and yours♥

    May the Lord hold you in His loving arms as you grieve.

    Much love and blessings,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest One,
      Thank you so much for your sweet caring words...you have such a tender soul. God continues to be my strength through all of this...dad is now in the hospital with pneumonia...but I am trusting in the One who holds us in His mighty hands...
      With love,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  5. Also, if you received two comments from me- I apologize! It didn't look like it worked/took the first time, so I tried again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to get two posts from you! (smile) no matter what the reason!

      Delete
  6. My sweet friend...thank you so much for you kind, caring words of love...you are such a dear.
    With love and prayers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Laura, my prayers are with you sweet lady. I'm sorry for your loss...mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria...thank you for your kind words and prayers...they are truly appreciated!
      With love,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...