![]() |
| They said you could see forever from the top! |
My sons get together several times a week...
taking walks...hanging out...
encouraging and supporting each another
in the things of the Lord...
in the things of the Lord...
Yesterday was a gorgeous day here in Maine...
So they hiked Mt. Battie...
Just to talk...
Iron Sharpening Iron.
Speaking of iron...
I was at home catching up on some ironing
when I noticed that my iron really could
use a cleaning.
Using a 1/4 cup white vinegar in the water reserve
and then steaming it out always does the trick for me!
had really seen better days...
I'm quite embarrassed to show it to you! (smile)
Looks like it was time for a new one!
So easy to make...
I just picked out two pieces of fabric
from my "stash..."
on the floor, turned the ironing board
upside down, and traced around the
edge with a marker...
I cut about 3 inches larger than the tracing...
With right sides together I pinned the
material and then sewed around it
using a 1/2 inch seam allowance
and leaving about 3 inches for turning...
I planned to leave the current pad on
the ironing board as padding...
If I hadn't I would have cut a piece
of batting the same size and sandwiched
it with the other 2 pieces...
I turned the cover right sides out...
Pressed it and then top stitched close to
the edge of the pad...being careful not
to stitch over the opening!
I then stitched another line about a 1/2 inch
from the top stitching...
Taking my bodkin...
(which is such a handy dandy tool!)
I fed some leftover twine I had through
the casing I had made...
Ta Da!
I put in on the board...
Pulled the strings tightly...
and tied them!
"iron sharpening iron..."
I always find that gathering together with friends and family
in the Lord’s name is such a wonderful blessing.
The Lord Himself promised this means of grace...
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name,
I am there in the midst of them.”
Matthew 18:20
We also discover in the book of Malachi
that the Lord is among and listening to those
who fear Him ...
and to those who talk together
about the things of God...
"Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another,
And the Lord listened and heard them..."
Malachi 3:16
How wonderful to know
that when we "sharpen" one another
in Christian fellowship...
God is listening...and it pleases Him...
and brings Him glory...
courtesy of TripAdvisor
"Iron sharpeneth iron;
so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend..."
Proverbs 27:17

This is an EXCELLENT post! I love the way you brought the supernatural and the natural together.
ReplyDeleteI've been wondering about recovering my ironing board.
With this tutorial, I think I can do it.
I wonder if I have a large enough piece of fabric?
As you know, with my husband out-of-work, and me a homeschool momma, there's no fabric money right now.
Two questions:
1. Is there danger of certain colors bleeding into the clothes?
2. What type of batting would one use?
Thanks so much for answering my questions.
I'm so glad you dropped by Harvest Lane Cottage.
I just signed up to follow you on GFC so I won't lose you again!
Be blessed sweet Laura!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Good Morning, Laura...and thanks so much for stopping by for a little visit! I'm so glad that this little tutorial will be of use to you! As far as material goes, I actually used two pieces of old sheets that I have saved. I recycle all our material; sheets, towels, clothes...I can always find some use for them! What scraps I don't use ends up in the scrap rugs I make. As far as the batting goes...if I didn't already have a cover of it to use I would have probably used an old towel or part of an old blanket...both make great batting. As far as the colors bleeding...you shouldn't have any problem if you use something like an old sheet. Thanks so much for the questions...hope that helps! If you have any more...just ask! I look forward to seeing how your cover comes out!
DeleteHave a blessed day,
Laura
Pinned it!
ReplyDeletehttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/257690409907293822/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257690409907293819/
Just a side note, Laura...after I use the vinegar in my iron...I fill the reserve with distilled water and steam that out too...that gets rid of all the "vinegary" smell! (smile!) Have a lovely day!
DeleteThanks so much for replying Laura. I hope this is the beginning of our blogging friendship.
ReplyDelete:)
Laura, too!
Me, too!
DeleteLaura! So happy to see you posting again... and such a lovely post indeed :) Iron sharpening iron is a wonderful thing, and how special that your sons get together to fellowship and explore the outdoors! The pictures of the hike looked quite challenging, climbing up tree roots is something we have done, and it is fun but a workout! Your ironing board cover tutorial is much appreciated. Mine right now doesn't look much better than yours. I may just need to follow your tutorial after I find some material to cover it with. Thanks for the inspiration! Have a great day :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by for a little visit! I'm sorry that I haven't posted in awhile...just busy, I guess! I used a couple of sheets for my ironing board pad cover...they seem to work nicely and the colors don't run!
DeleteHave a blessed day!
Laura
How I enjoyed this post so very much, thank you so much for your wisdom, loving kindness, and beautiful words of encouragement. I was SO very encouraged by this. What a beautiful thing for your sons to "sharpen" one another, and what a beautiful gift it is that we can be sharpened by one another as Christians.
ReplyDeleteYour photos blessed me so also :)
Blessings to you, my friend!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
God bless always,
Jazzmin♥
So good to hear from you, Miss Jazzmin! I think of you often...and wonder what you are up to! Hope all is well down "South"...so pleased that you enjoyed the photos...we do have some lovely spots here in Maine!
DeleteSweet blessings, dear one!
Love,
Mrs. Laura
Thank you, Teri...your cheerful notes always brighten my day! Hope all is well at your little cottage this week and that you are having a blessed day!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Laura
I love your new ironing board cover. What a great idea!
ReplyDelete