My poor sweatheart...
He's been battling a chest cold
for about a week now...
And finally decided that he'd better
stay home from work today...
Of course,
I absolutely love having him home...
But it was an added blessing today
As I discovered when I went to light the
cookstove this morning...
And found this in the ash pan...
Part of the bottom grate had broken off...
As you can see here.
After a bit of research we discovered that
we were not going to be able
to get a new grate locally...
And that to order one online was VERY expensive...
But, never fear,
my dearheart remembered that he had saved
this cast iron grate from an old cooker...
which he quickly cut and fashioned
to a perfect fit for our stove!
This will do fine for now until we
can find some used grates made for our stove.
Didn't I tell you he was a "grate" guy?
I truly am blessed with a wonderful family...
![]() |
| My nana's old steam iron... |
And so very thankful to have
the old cookstove up and running
as the temps have plummeted once again!
So very "grateful" for a husband who takes
care of us and provides for us so lovingly...
Thank you, Lord...
"Except the Lord build the house,
they labor in vain that build it..."
Psalm 127:1








Good Afternoon! So sorry your husband is under the weather. How wonderful that he knew where the old cast iron grate was. Your Nana's steam iron is wonderful. Is the sampler cross stitched? It's very charming. Hope you both have a nice afternoon.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by and for the "well wishes" for my husband! So many have been "under the weather" this year...can hardly wait for spring to get here!
DeleteSweet blessings,
Laura
What a blessing! Husbands are wonderful! :0) So good to know that you have a grate for your stove, one he saved just for that specific day ;D
ReplyDeleteStay warm my sweet Friend...
Maria
What a blessing it was, Maria...with the temps being down so low...I'm just lost without my cookstove! :)
DeleteHugs,
Laura
Oh boy! What a time to have trouble! Your stove is so charming! I have an electric, cast iron cook stove made to look like a wood burning stove. It fools a lot of people; they ask, "Do you cook on it?" I guess they think it looks like a toy. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, we were sooooo thankful that Preston had the grate saved in the barn! That's just too funny about your stove! :) I actually do most of my cooking and baking in our cookstove...I do have an electric stove but only use it for a very short time in the summer when it is extremely hot...which doesn't happen often on the coast of Maine! (smile)
DeleteThanks for stopping by!
Hugs,
Laura
Hello Laura, God was so good to have Your Grate guy be home to fix the stove :)
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to stop in and say hello! Your Blog is really just cozy, love it!
Blessings, Roxy
Hello dear Roxy!
DeleteYes, we were so blessed to have that grate available to us...it has been sooooooo coooooold today! Hope you are doing well and enjoying a wonderful New Year!
Sweet blessings and hugs,
Laura
This post made me smile. How wonderful to get to be with your husband today, but I hope he feels much better soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had something to serve as a new grate. By the way, I love your stove. It may sound funny to describe a stove this way, but it is beautiful, as are your other vintage treasures and decor.
I pray you have a blessed and beautiful day!!
Hugs to you,
Jazzmin
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts towards my husband, dear Miss Jazzmin. I will tell him of your "well wishes!" And I don't find it funny at all, dear one...I love my stove, too! I so enjoy preparing food on it and in it. And, of course, we love the warmth we get from it!
DeleteSo nice to hear from you...hope you are having a blessed week at school!
With love and hugs,
Mrs. Laura
Thanks, Teri...I will share your comment with Preston...he appreciates all the well wishes and prayers! He actually is feeling a bit better tonight. He was able to get out today with Samuel and do some work outside and in the garage...that always makes him feel better! :) I am so very "grateful" this evening that the stove it up and running...we sure are getting a stretch of cold weather!
ReplyDeleteYou stay warm, too, my friend!
Hugs,
Laura
hehe... you made me giggle about the "grate" guy part - you are too cute. First, I am truly sorry to hear your husband in not feeling well and I hope he is back to his healthy self very soon. And secondly, it is a precious blessing to have such a thoughtful husband :)
ReplyDeleteTake care, my dear friend, and enjoy the rest of you week. Sending hugs your way!
Dearest Stephanie...thank you so much for your kind wishes...he is feeling much better today and headed back to work! Poor me! :) Hope you are having a wonderful week and that things are starting to settle down for you as you move into your new home!
DeleteHugs,
Laura
Dear Laura~
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear your husband is sick. I hope he'll be feeling better soon!
How resourceful of him to use that old grate! Lee saves all sorts of things. He's good at improvising too. :-)
I love your nana's old iron.
Stay warm, my sweet friend!♥
Oh, thank you, Melanie...Preston is feeling so much better tonight. He went back to work today...but so many men are sick where he works! I had to giggle when you said that Lee saves all sorts of things...I am amazed at what Preston comes up with when we need something fixed!
DeleteHope you are all staying warm...give that sweet Miss Katie a big hug for me!
Love,
Laura
I hope your "grate" husband is feeling better today, Laura. But wasn't it wonderful to have him home during the day? My husband retired 6 months ago and he loves it and I love having him home. He helps me so much around the house!! We are the same way about being careful what we get rid of because you never know when you will need it. I'm glad your stove is working now for such little cost!!! We are having below zero temps in Illinois again, but we are staying warm and cozy in the house! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
Thank you, Kathy, he is feeling much better today. This old cold has really dragged him down! And the cold temperatures surely don't help! Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same thing...but, never fear, we'll blink our eyes and it will be spring again!
DeleteThanks so much for stopping by, dear friend!
Love,
Laura
Hi Laura ~ hope your dear hubby feels better.
ReplyDeleteLove your cook stove and your grandmother's iron. :)
You have such a 'grate' hubby!
Mine retired 3 years ago and it really is nice having him home all the time. Of course, when I need some space, I retire to my craft room, lol.
Hello Denise! So nice to have you stop by for a visit! And how nice that your husband is retired and can be home with you! My husband is feeling much better, thank you. And, I agree, a craft room is a wonderful place to "get away for a while" (smile)!
DeleteHave a blessed day!
Laura
There's nothing like a "grate" guy to save the day! Blessiings and stay warm!
ReplyDeleteNot only is he a "grate" guy, Karen...he's a "great" guy!!! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteSweet blessings,
Laura