Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Casting Our Net...

A frosty October evening...
Sitting by the woodstove...reading...
Feeling toasty warm...

A voice in the stillness...
My sweetheart...

"Tide's just about right... 
Be a good night to go get some bait..."

My family enjoys two 
 activities every fall...
Which also help provide food
throughout the winter...
Hunting for deer and fishing for smelts.
 
 
My husband grew up
in the woods and on the water...
So...if he says that it is 
a good night for bait...
Well, I just know we'll come home with bait!

For, you see,
You can't go smelting...
Unless you have minnows 
to catch the smelts with...

 
And you can't catch minnows
Unless you cast your net 
into the stream...
 
So, in the cold and the dark...
down to the banks of the water
we trudged in our hip boots...
flashlights and bucket in hand...
To "cast our net..."


As I held the flashlight 
in the tall sea grass...
and my dearheart "dipped"...
 
I couldn't help but think of 
the story told in John 21...
When the disciples were having 
no luck with their fishing...
And our Lord told them to cast
their nets on the other side of the boat.

So many lessons from that 
one little account...


A lesson on how important 
it is to listen and be obedient...

Now, if I had ignored 
my husband's voice and
had stayed by that toasty warm fire...
We would not be able to go
smelting this evening...

Just as the disciples 
would not have caught any fish...
If they had not listened to Jesus
and moved their nets 
to the other side of the boat.


We all know that Jesus was more
than capable of making the fish swim to the men...
Or, jump in the boat even, for that matter,
But this was a lesson in obedience.

Another wonderful lesson from this story...
We must "cast our nets" where the fish are!
 
My husband knows the exact spot
on the right side of the little bridge...
where the minnows swim up 
the salt water stream to hunker down 
in the mud when it gets cold...

It would do us no good to try dipping
for minnows on the left side of the little bridge...

Just as the disciples soon discovered
that they only needed to move their nets 
to the other side of the boat...
 
 
 
If we are going to receive the answer
 God has for us, 
We are going to have to do what He says...
 When he says it...
And where He says to do it. 
 
I'll let you know
How the smelts are running tonight!

They were hoping the minnows were for them!
 
"And He said unto them, 
Cast the net on the right side of the ship, 
and ye shall find. They cast therefore, 
and now they were not able to draw
 it for the multitude of fishes...'
John 21:6

  

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! but share...what are smelts? ~.~

    By the way...Miss Olivia Owl arrived safe and sound and is now been hugged by Miss A. She has yet to let go of her... Thank you Laura. Thank you for your friendship and for sharing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria,
      Oh, I am so happy that Olivia arrived and that she makes your daughter happy! I had such fun making it for her. I, too, am so grateful for your friendship...God is so good.

      To answer your question, Maria...smelts are a small fish usually about 8 to 12 inches long. Some folks go fresh water smelting during the winter months when the ponds are frozen...but we like to go smelting in the salt water. You fish off the banking...as the tide is coming in...in the dark with a lantern. It is so peaceful...

      Have a wonderful evening, my friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Oh, Laura, you tell such personal stories and relate it to the Bible stories so wonderfully. A very nice post!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois
    PS- I hope you gave the cats at least 1 little minnow apiece!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kathy! Rest assured...we always let the kitties have a few little fishies...
      and, of course, the heads and tails of the bigger ones!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Laura, When I was a little girl we would go smelting, I just love smelt fish. This brought back happy memories.
    I loved that little bag you made, so sweet and I bet it was well received!
    Did you get my last email?
    Have a blessed and wonderful day! Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing...we can find God and His word in everything we do or say or see.. thank you for sharing such a wonderful post..
    [ps...you are such a good wife. to leave the cozy warm fire ,to go help hubby ..ha]
    Heart and prayers to Gary and each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my sweet Laura! It is such a joy to take the time to visit you. Your post was the perfect addition to my cup of coffee this morning. Your lesson taught me many things and now I have much to think upon - thank you!

    Isn't it fun the way the Lord teach us through daily living? I hope you are well, friend, and I pray your family is also doing well. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...