Monday, March 11, 2013

For The "Benefit" Of Others...

Good Morning, Sweet Ladies!

The past two weeks have been
an exciting and blessed adventure
in our home!

You may recall that Samuel's boss 
and mentor lost his business
in a horrific fire this February...


Saturday night,
the local community hosted a
huge benefit supper/auction
to show their love and support
for this wonderful family.

The hall was donated,
all the food was donated,
many volunteers came to
donate their time and help out,
and over 300 items were 
donated to the auction!

Here is just a "sampling" of 
some of the items we collected
as donations...


My dad donated one of his
restored antique caned chairs...


The local sports shop where 
Sam used to work donated
a gift card...
and also offered to make
the sign for the new garage!


My son, Joshua, donated
one free lawn mowing
any size
for this summer...


A kind friend of ours 
donated these fishing items...
He has his own business
and makes these to sell to the
local boat shops.


A lovely lady from the local
theater gave me two free movie passes...


A good friend of Samuel's,
who has his own garage business,
donated three certificates...
a free tire rotation...
a free inspection...
and a free oil change!

In fact,
There were over 100
gift certificates donated
from area businesses...
and one business donated
box seats to a Red Sox game!


I made a "Swaddlin' Suzy" and a "Swaddlin' Sam"
doll to add to the list...


And this baby afghan as well.


But I think my favorite
part of this whole project
was working on this boy's quilt...
It was done in solids and
car and truck prints...
And I put a truck in
the center with the words
"Frankie's Garage"
embroidered on it.

The lady who won the bid
for the quilt
turned around and gave it
to Cecil and Sherry...
They were so pleased
it blessed my heart.

One of the many things
I have learned with age
is that I "benefit" so much
more when I am doing things
for other people...

This shouldn't surprise me
in the least...
For the Bible clearly
teaches us this...

"Give, and it will be given to you. 
They will pour into your
lap a good measure—pressed down, 
shaken together, and running over.
 For by your standard of measure 
it will be measured to you in return.”
Luke 6:38

"And do not neglect doing good and sharing; 
for with such sacrifices God is pleased."
Hebrews 13:16 

 "He who is generous will be blessed, 
For he gives some of his food to the poor..."
Proverbs 22:9 

"Do not merely look out 
for your own personal interests, 
but also for the interests of others."
Philippians 2:4 

What an amazing blessing
my whole family received
from having just a small part
in this incredible evening...

To see the love poured
out by our community...

 We were so very thankful
for this opportunity... 



Now...shhhhhhh...
We have two weeks
to get ready for another benefit...
For someone who is
very near and dear to our hearts...

Bet you can guess who!

 "For I was hungry, 
and you gave Me something to eat; 
I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; 
I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 
naked, and you clothed Me;
 I was sick, and you visited Me...
 'Truly I say to you, 
to the extent that you did it 
to one of these brothers of Mine, 
even the least of them, you did it to Me."
Matthew 25:35-40

  

7 comments:

  1. That is wonderful that the benefit auction went well! I was praying that it would go well. :-) I'm guessing the next benefit is for your brother, Gary? :-)

    Hope you have a blessed week!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Melinda,

      You guessed correctly, my dear! I can write about it here because my brother doesn't read my blog (he's not into blogging!) He is going for tests today to see whether or not the chemo has had any effect on his cancer. Thank you so much for remembering him in your prayers. It means so much to all of us!

      Heard you've started your garden! I'm very jealous! :) All we have is mud and snow out back right now! I'm looking forward to getting things going in the greenhouse in the next few weeks.

      Hope all is well with you and your family. It must have been wonderful having your dad home for awhile. Take heart...tax season will be over before you know it!

      Sweet blessings,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  2. Hello, Laura!!

    What a wonderful way for your community to come together to help a friend...very heartwarming. Perfect verses to go with your post.

    You did such a sweet job on little Sam and Suzy...too cute! The afghan and quilt are beautiful as well! So talented you are. I have a feeling your future grandchildren are going to have some precious treasures made by your loving hands.♥

    I hope the benefit for your brother will go well too! Yes, I read the above comments, though I had a feeling it was for Gary before I read them. ;) I pray things are going well for him and the family, as these things have a way of affecting everyone.

    Love and hugs to you, my sweet friend. Hope you have a great week filled with many blessings.

    Take care,
    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your sweet comments, dear Melanie, and for your continued support and prayers. The benefit auction was amazing... I'm still in awe at the community's response. There really are a lot of wonderful people in this world... how sad that we don't hear about them nearly enough as we should.

      The little dolls are so much fun to make. I'm planning to make a bunch up to donate to the Dana Farber institute (children's ward) to show my appreciate for all they have done for my brother and nephew. I'm also looking for other stuffed animal ideas...thought I'd make up a big box of items and take them down to the benefit.

      Hope all is well with you and your family. My prayers are always with you all...

      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Sounds and looks like a very blessed event!....an encouragement just to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Keri! It is so nice to have you stop by for a visit! It was such a special evening...one I will remember for a very long time. The kind of event that just makes your heart sing!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Such lovely items donated for Samuel's boss's benefit, Laura! It does make one feel so good to be able to help someone else out. God bless you all. I'm sure Gary's benefit will turn out just as nice. Isn't it nice to live in a loving community?
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...