Wednesday, February 20, 2013

No "Knead" To Fret!

I just love baking bread!

 

The warm fresh smell
of bread right from the oven...

Goes so good with homemade stew on a snowy evening!

Says "home" to me!

I even like kneading!
While working those arm muscles...
I also find it a wonderful time
to pray for my loved ones...

But sometimes...
There just isn't time for all that...

For those "busy" days...
 I have found the most wonderful
honey oat "no knead" bread recipe!

So, for all you ladies,
who fret about "kneading"
Here's one for you!

This recipe came from "Tasty Kitchen"...

The ingredients are... 

1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
 1-¾ cup Warm Water
 1 cup Old Fashioned Oats, Divided
1/3 cup honey 
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
 2-½ teaspoons Salt 
5 cups Flour 
1 whole Egg Beaten 



Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water...
I like mine to be about 105 degrees...
let set about 10 minutes
until frothy...



Mix the following in your large bowl...
3/4 cup oats,
honey,
oil and salt,
and the yeast/water...


Stir in enough flour
to form a soft dough.

Coat your bowl with
non-stick spray.
Place the dough in the bowl...
turn it over so that it gets 
completely coated...

Above the warming oven is the perfect spot!

Cover it with a plastic bag
and a towel
and let rise in a warm place
for about an hour...


Punch the dough down
and shape into two loaves
or 1 loaf and some rolls!
Let rise for about 20 minutes...


Brush the tops with the beaten egg
and the remaining 1/4 cup oats...

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven
for about 35-40 minutes...


Take it out and enjoy!


Why is it, dear ladies...
That we seem to fret
over things that we "knead" not...

My nana used to say that
it's just the "mama" in us...

But how often we find ourselves
worrying about...

Our children...

Our husbands...

Our homes...

But, sweet ladies,
God's Word tell us
that this is not something we
should be doing...
In fact, the Bible calls
it a sin...

For worrying accomplishes nothing...

It is a waste of our precious time...

It puts our focus in the wrong direction...

And it's just not healthy for us...

Above all,
it keeps us from trusting God... 

Instead...
We "knead" to keep our eyes,
our minds,
and our hearts,
on our precious Lord...

For He truly is
"The Bread of Life"...


"Do not be anxious about anything, 
but in everything by prayer 
and supplication with thanksgiving
 let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God,
which surpasses all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and 
your minds in Christ Jesus."
Phil 4: 6-7 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Laura, your homemade bread and stew look so good!!! We are to have 6-7 inches of snow tomorrow night. I might have to make some! The verses in Phil 4:6-7 are my favorites. It is so hard not to worry though. I am ALWAYS trying to improve on that. I succeed rarely but I keep trusting and trying. Thank you for this lovely post.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy,

      Oh, I hope that you are getting all prepared for your upcoming snowstorm! It's always nice to have a good book or craft project ready for times such as these!

      I know exactly what you are saying about worrying. I'm always having to "check" myself...worrying over things that I have no control over. I especially do this with my children...although they are all "grown-ups" now! I guess that's just something we "mamas" do!

      Stay warm, sweet friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura!
    Thank you so much for coming by my blog this morning-- I enjoyed making bread the other day. I had the Littles here (a.k.a: my grandkids) So I think it could of gone better. I'm going to give your recipe a try for sure.
    I love your blog--your encouraging words, Philippians is one of my favorite books in the Bible besides James...like that one too.
    I'm your newest follower.

    ~Pat@ Corn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Pat and thanks for visiting and following my blog! I just love yours...you always have some wonderful ideas and helpful hints! I do like the book of James as well, so practical and helpful in today's world!

      Good luck with your bread making...I think that you will like this recipe. It really is super easy and non fussy!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Laura,
    You love to Knead bread...I love to eat home made bread.hahahaha
    Seriously, your bread, stew ,rolls, and cookies look wonderful.. I have never made bread with oats.. But, I am definitely going to try this recipe..sounds easy.. and looks yummy..
    I too find myself worrying about all the things, that I can't do any thing about anyway.. and for get that God doesn't want us to worry..He loves us and is taking care of us..Thank you for reminding me.. Your blog is so refreshing and brings back memories of things I "knead" to think of..
    How's your weather? How much snow now? Thinking about you. sending prayers for each of you.. Praying for Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Girlfriend!

      I laughed so when I read your comment! I used to love to eat fresh bread too...until the gluten issue. I haven't made much "gluten free" bread...mostly because I'd eat it! LOL!
      Sometimes that is the hardest thing with cooking nowadays...I can't "sample" what I bake. So now I have to get "taste testers" for any new recipes. Luckily I have 4 in this house who are more than willing!

      Gary is having a good week. We aren't going down...still have a bit of this head cold hangin' on... but my oldest brother may bring him up for a day trip soon if he feels well enough!

      Have a wonderful day!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. I love your blog. I love your wisdom.
    I love how you love and serve your sweet family.
    I am blessed and inspired today. Thank you very much for taking the time to post these words of encouragement.

    Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Virginia,
      You always leave the sweetest comments when you stop by for a visit! I feel the same way about you and your blog. I guess we are kindred hearts!

      Have a very blessed day, my friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Hi, Laura~

    Oh my goodness, that bread looks so good...definitely a weakness of mine! And the cookies and brownies, yum! Love the little heart shapes.♥

    You are so right! Worrying accomplishes nothing! There are things going on in my extended family's lives right now that ONLY GOD can fix! I don't know how to pray about it anymore, and am just praying God's will to be done. He knows the situation much better than I do.

    You should see my Bible...the verses you mentioned and the latter part of Matt. 6...highlighted, underlined, starred, with little notes scribbled in the margins. :)
    I'm so thankful God is with us all the time.

    Continuing to pray for your brother. How is he doing?

    Hope the weather is going well for you there. You've definitely had your share of snow this winter!

    Much love to you, my friend.♥
    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melanie,

      Oh, dear friend, I am joining you in prayer about your family situation. It is so hard sometimes to just let it all go and leave it in God's more than capable Hands, isn't it! I often find myself in these same sort of situations. Thinking that there must be something I can do to "fix" the problem. Then I have to remind myself AGAIN that trusting Him IS "fixing" the problem...my problem. He can certainly handle the rest!

      Gary is having a good week. Praise God for these small victories. How is Tanya doing? We continue to hold her up in prayer.

      Have a wonderful day, my dear friend!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...