I was really expecting Friday
to be a quiet day at home...
to be a quiet day at home...
Really!
A bit of baking...
A bit of sewing...
A little cleaning...
Quiet.
Til the mail came...
My husband had received a notice...
A $50 fine
for not paying a toll in Massachusetts.
But, you see,
we hadn't been to MA
on that day...
And actually had never
been to that part of MA!
So, I looked for a phone number
on the paper...
No luck.
It took me quite some time
online to find the right number...
While I was on the phone
explaining all this to a very nice lady
I heard blood-curdling screams
coming from our backyard...
![]() |
| There were chicken feathers everywhere! |
Josh and Sam flew to the back door.
There was a young lady,
almost in tears,
holding a very guilty looking dog
with a whole mouthful of chicken feathers!
![]() |
| How could so many feathers come from 1 hen? |
"I'll pay for your chicken!"
Meanwhile, the lady on the phone
is asking me if everything is alright...
I had to explain to her that a dog
just ate one of our chickens...
(A little melodramatic on my part...
but I hoped she'd feel sorry for
me and help me out with this
crazy fine!)
Ten minutes,
and an entire conversation about
our little farm in the woods later,
she informed me that the fine
was a mistake...
The license plate number
and make of car
was incorrect...
She would take care of it
immediately and send
us a confirmation letter.
![]() |
| She was only missing some neck and tail feathers! |
out the damage in the hen house.
Our backyard was plastered
in red feathers!
The phone rang
while we were trying to
find the injured (or dead) bird...
It was mom...
My brother, Gary,
had come for a visit
and was right down the
road at her house!
![]() |
| Gary and Slug had brought my dad 8 "new" chairs to refinish and recane... |
I was so excited
but then quickly realized
that I should probably stay away
since I still had a bit of a head cold.
After discovering that
all was fairly well
in the hen house...
I decided to make a
brief visit to my parents...
standing way across the
kitchen while we chatted!
![]() |
| Of course, no visit is complete without a game of dominoes! |
Gary was having a fabulous day...
Praise God!
And told me to come down
to Massachusetts to visit him
as soon as I was huggable again!
So much for my "quiet" day...
But, you know Ladies,
I believe the Lord was reminding me
that He is the one in control of my days...
Not me.
And that although each day
comes with many struggles and blessings...
His Grace is sufficient
to sustain me through it all...
![]() |
| Even with all the excitement... the "ladies" still came through! |
"Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails..."
Proverbs 19:21







Oh yes... the Lord Does Prevail!!
ReplyDeleteI am soooooooooooo Happy...I am shouting....Thrilled that Gary is at parents house, and was able to come for a visit and play dominoes.. Did I say...I am soo excited..
Very happy the chicken survived the attack, so proud you got the wronged ticket corrected..but most of all sooo happy Gary felt up to the trip and that God prevails in our lives..[He knows so much better than us]
Thank you for the very uplifting blog post.. Needed it today.
Dear Judy,
DeleteI was so happy to hear Gary say that he was feeling so wonderful. I think that it was really good for him to get out and take a ride. They had given him some new medicine for neuropathy which seems to help the pain in his arm. In two weeks they will be doing tests to see how the treatments are working...I am praying for a miracle.
Have a sweet Sunday, my friend!
Love,
Laura
Chicken-chasing dogs...not fun! We have had our experiences with those! Sometimes I have my own days when everything seems to be going awry. I just have to trust that God is in control and I can trust him for what he is doing! :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear your brother was having a good day and you got to see him!
Have a blessed Sunday! :)
So nice to hear from you, Miss Melinda! We all have days like this, don't we! Trust is so important...especially in our relationship with Jesus. Sometimes it is so difficult for us to give up that control...yet it is so freeing...
DeleteWe are all so excited that Gary is feeling better. We continue to pray for a miracle... but again, leave this in God's more than capable hands.
With love,
Mrs. Laura
What an adventure indeed :) but how wonderful to know God has a plan even we don't see it. :)
ReplyDeleteDearest Nabila...so nice to have you stop by for a visit! I always enjoy hearing from you! How is that sweet little new son of yours doing? I'll just bet his big brother and sister just love him to pieces!
DeleteSweet blessings,
Laura
Laura, I hope that you get "huggable" again soon!!! Gary needs your hugs!!! I'm glad to see he is doing well and had a fun day,
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
Thanks for stopping by, Kathy, I'm sure that I'll be "huggable" before too long! Just can't seem to shake this head cold! As soon as I do, mom and dad and I are going to take another trip down to see Gary. It's always fun to have a "day out!"
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week, my friend!
Love,
Laura
I am praying for that very special miracle too.. May God wrap His loving arms around Gary and each of you.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, dear friend, for being a prayer warrior with us! It means so very much!
DeleteLove,
Laura