Friday, May 25, 2012

Perpetual Care...

I've spent many hours
over the past two days
in an unusual place for me...

The cemetery.


You see,
one of my sons has a lawn care business...
And he has a contract to mow
one of our local church cemeteries.


Because this is Memorial Day weekend...
He wanted it to look especially nice...

So, I gave him a hand.

I mowed, trimmed, and raked...
But my favorite part was
using the leaf blower to clear
away grass from around the stones...


Because  it gave me a chance
to really read some of them...

Mothers, fathers, 
babies...


I even discovered some
of my husband's relatives...

1865...
A sea captain lost at sea...

Many of the stones 
had the words
"perpetual care"
engraved on them...

As I walked around
I thought about those words...


And how our Lord
promises us "perpetual care"...

What a blessed assurance for me
on this Memorial Day...


" Casting all your care upon Him; 
for He careth for you..."
I Peter 5:7

14 comments:

  1. Laura, How wonderful.. I love this verse.. Casting all your cares on Him, For He careth for you. Isn't this so reassuring?
    You know, I think you and I are kin, and we just don't know it.lol I love to go to cemmentaries and read the headstones.. Morbid...isnt it? But, I love to see how they relate to God and His cares for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we're related, Judy, for we are sisters in Christ! It was so amazing there at the cemetery yesterday and today. We've had a few very foggy days here on the coast...so it was almost dreamlike with this heavy mist hanging in the air. There are many very very old stones in this particular cemetery...and lots of the same last names. So many babies and children...lilacs are blooming...along with wild violets...it was really so peaceful.

      Trying my hand at entrelac knitting this evening...have you ever done this?

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Happy Memorial Day, Laura! I'm happy to let you know that you won the Sew, Mama, Sew! giveaway #1 at Hanging On By A Needle And Thread. Please contact me as soon as possible with your mailing information.
    suzymc44(at)yahoo(dotcom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Susan, and thank you so much! I am so excited about winning your giveaway! What a fun week this has been!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I am with Judy, I love this verse. I can't imagine living a life without our Father to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Appie,

      Thanks so much for stopping by! What a blessing to belong to the Lord...to always know that He watches over us and cares about every part of our lives.

      Hope you are enjoying this Memorial Day weekend!

      God bless,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. What beautiful pictures, Laura. I'm sure Josh appreciated your help. How nice to find some stones of relatives. I enjoy genealogy, so I like to visit cemeteries and take pictures of the stones. I enjoy just walking around looking and thinking...very peaceful and quiet.
    Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melanie,

      We just returned from putting flowers on my husband's parents and grandparents graves...as well as his Aunt Mary's. It is a beautiful day here...sunny with a slight sea breeze...just the perfect day.

      This morning as we had worship together, we read in the book of Acts...about being persecuted for Christ. How we shouldn't fear death...for we have the blessed assurance of being with our Saviour forever. Such an uplifting way to look at Memorial Day.

      Hope you are all well...enjoy your day off tomorrow!

      With love,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. It's always encouraging to know the the Lord really does care for us...perpetually! When we are a child of God, we can know that, even if we don't feel His care or presence, it is always there.

    Thank you for the encouragement!

    Lisa
    www.TheCourageousJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lisa,

    Thank you so much for stopping by for a little visit! I always enjoy meeting "sisters in Christ" around the globe!

    I pray that you've had a blessed Memorial Day.

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Laura,
    hope you and your family had a great Memorial Day weekend.. All was nice here.
    I don't know how to knit.. but would love to learn.. SO .not familiar with the type of knitting , you ask me about? Are you enjoying it?
    I thought about you a few days ago.. Callie [grandaughter] found an old doll baby bed.. She brought it to me, to work on.. We cleaned it, and I am now making her blankets and all for it. It reminded me of the one you did..
    SO fun...
    hugs.. Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy,

      Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with Callie's doll bed! You'll have to post about it! I had so much fun working on that doll carriage...I really didn't want to give it up!

      The knitting is coming along well...I'm starting out with dishcloths...something small. The stitch looks like basketweaving...it's really neat!

      Well,raining again today...good day for cleaning!

      Sweet blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  8. What a fun time you must have had! It's always so interesting stepping almost into another time and think about the lives that lived before us. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sweetie!

      So nice to hear from you again...it's been a long time! I wasn't sure if you were even blogging anymore. So glad you stopped by for a visit!

      I did have a wonderful time that day...it was quite foggy...so it almost seemed "dreamlike". Very peaceful and serene.

      Sweet blessings, dear one!
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...