Friday, December 16, 2011

Hairpin Turns...

Many of you know
how much I love
the crafts and handiwork
of times past.

Last year,
I took up the lost art
of tatting...


Not long after that
my mom stopped by with some old
newspaper clippings
that she had saved from long ago.


One of them was all about
"hairpin lace" crochet...

 Hairpin lace is a crochet technique
in which you use a crochet hook
and a hairpin lace loom.

 The loom consists of two metal rods
 which are held at the
top and bottom
by plastic removable bars.



The name originates from
the metal U-shaped ladies' hairpin
which was originally used...
perhaps even back as far
as in Shakespeare's time.

In those days,
Some believe this was 
the common folks' way
of making lace,
which was a sign of wealth
back then.


 I happened to stumble
across one of these looms
at the thrift store last week...
It was such a bargain
at 50 cents...

My first projects were
these hairpin lace bookmarks...
Sort of my own design...


Next, I am working
on a baby afghan...
Still in the very beginning stages indeed.

This blanket is made in a series of "strips" 
Speaking of hairpins...
Have you ever encountered a "hairpin turn"
while driving?

One moment, 
you're heading in one direction...

And then suddenly,
You are going completely in the opposite direction.

Our lives can be filled with
"hairpin turns" as well...
One minute,
everything seems to be in order
and going smoothly...

And suddenly,
everything changes...
There is confusion, heartache,
grief, anger, misunderstanding.

Yet, I am reminded of 
the amazing story of  Joseph,
 found in Genesis 37,
A young man who seemed to "have it all."
He was his father's favorite son
And he had the perfect life...
Or...so it appeared...

Then suddenly,
One fateful day,
Joseph ended up in "a pit"...
And his life took a "hairpin turn"...

But through all the heartache
and despair...
God had a plan...
And He has a plan for each of us...

We just need to trust Him.


Dear friends,
I just wanted to especially thank you
for your continued prayers...
in the midst of the "struggle" with my
parents and their home...
my father had a heart attack on Wednesday.
We so appreciate your loving
thoughts and prayers...
and continue to rely on
Our Great Healer.


"But as for you, 
 ye thought evil against me;
but God meant it unto good..."
Genesis 50:20

22 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about you dad. I have never heard of this kind of crochet techniquein...learn something new everyday. Merry Christmas to all. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! I will be praying for him. I'm sure it's been a stressful time for you all.
    I've never heard of hairpin lace, but it is pretty. I really like the little bookmarks you made...I like that they're flexible. They would be very good Bible bookmarks.
    Take care, my friend, and know I will be praying for your family.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Trish,

    Thank you so much for your kind words.

    I, too, had never heard about "hairpin lace" until my mom told me about it. I've seen some really beautiful patterns since...don't know when I'll be ready to tackle any of those though!

    Merry Christmas to you all, as well, my friend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melanie,

    You are such a sweet friend...thank you so much for your continued prayers. Dad is resting comfortably tonight...which is a true blessing. We are just taking one day at a time right now...and continuing to lean on the Lord.

    The bookmarks are very flexible! I had picked up a whole bag of crochet cotton from the thrift store for next to nothing...in lots of pretty colors. So...I'm experimenting with bookmarks! I often get books out of the library for my mom to read (she loves Amish fiction!)...so I made her a pretty pink one the other day. She just loves it! They are really quick to make...and something I can do without having to think too much about it.

    Take care, my friend, and enjoy your school vacation!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,
    Just as Joseph had the hair pin turn. So, do we face those turns,And as God was with Joseph, He is with us.My prayers are with you and your family.I pray you feel His loving arms around you.
    Will be praying for your father too.How is he doing?
    Keep the faith and know , we Care. God bless my friend.
    Love the new baby blanket to be..so pretty.You are very creative..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura~
    I used to know how to do the hairpin lace, but haven't done it for so long now! I will have to dig out the 'loom' if I still have it! Your bookmarks are really neat!
    But, OH! I *LOVE* the tatting! I hope to learn how to do that someday! I was raised by my grandparents, and when I was young, my grandma told me that when she was a girl, she and her four sisters tatted as they walked to and from school. Their mom wanted a certain amount done each day! I don't think I could walk and tat at the same time! :~)

    I read about your dad ~ so sorry about his heart attack, but very glad he is doing better! I will say a little prayer for him and your dear mom!

    Please tell me if you make a burlap wreath and take some pics! I would enjoy seeing them!

    Warm Winter Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Judy,

    Thank you so much for your warm words of comfort, dear friend. My father is resting...and we are trying to keep things calm for him. Decisions are trying to be made around him...which at times can be difficult...but God is so Good, and we are taking one day at a time. It helps so much to know that we have friends all over praying with us.

    I'll show you some more of the afghan once I get a bit more put together. Hairpin lace is very easy to do! I like it because it is one of those crafts you can take with you easily and don't have to think too much about.

    Hope you all have a very blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lady Farmer,

    Thanks so much for stopping by! I absolutely love your burlap wreath...and if I can find any of the kind of wire wreath forms while I'm out and about this weekend, I am going to attempt one. Of course, I post some pictures! I have some terrific choices of ribbon that my sister gave me last year...a whole box full...she was cleaning out her stash. Don't you just love it when people do that!

    I'm really enjoying hairpin lace crochet...and you are the first person I know who has tried it before! Tatting is so fun...but it took me awhile to find a shuttle and figure out how to do it (I wrote a post about it). I know that you would enjoy it. It is another one of those crafts that is very easy to take with you wherever you go.

    Thank you so much for your prayers. We just take one day at a time...and trust in the Lord.

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Laura...so very sorry to hear about your dad! I will be praying for your dad...as well as for you all during this difficult time! I love the delicate bookmarks...so, so pretty! You share such inspiration in all that you say and in all that you do! Warmest blessings to you and yours! Hug ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Teri,

    Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet prayers. It is so nice to hear from friends around the country...and to know that you are all thinking of us.

    Wishing you a joyous weekend, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura,
    Just wanted to let you know, I said a prayer for your parents today..May God be with all of you .. God bless.Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Judy,

    What a blessing to find your comment on Saturday...exactly at the moment I needed it. God is so Good...to send special people into our lives...for comfort and sharing.

    God bless you, my special friend,
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura,
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad...God is still in control. This summer when my dad wasn't doing well, it had us all concern.
    I was reminded in a devotional this morning, that God does mean all things for our good. Trust Him!
    We will pray for ya'll as a family.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mandy,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...and for your prayers. We, too, are holding stedfast to the assurance that God is in control. He has seen us through so many trials before, and we know that He is with us though this. My parents are frightened, which is so difficult for me. Each day, everything seems to be "up in the air" so to speak. But the comfort of our Lord is so amazing...and we hold on deeply to that.

    Hope all is well with all of you. Did you get the recent snowstorm last Friday? We still have a dusting on the ground...a far cry from this time last year!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Laura,
    Just wanted to let you know, I have been praying for you and your family.. May God be with each of you, in this difficult time.. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Laura,
    Have been praying for your family..Hope your parents are doing better..
    Thinking about you, May God be with each of you.Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Judy,

    Thank you so much for keeping my family in your prayers each day...you have no idea how much this means to me. Each day is a learning experience for us...and I am so thankful that the Lord has ordered our steps along the way.

    Have a very blessed New Year, my friend!

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Trish,

    A very "Happy New Year" to you as well, my friend!

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are welcome Laura.. Praying that 2012 will bring many blessings for each of you.. I pray God's blessings on each of you.. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dearest Judy,

    Thank you so much for your continued prayers...I am praying that this year will bring you and your sweet family a bounty of blessings.

    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear about your father! I hope that he is doing well. Beautiful hairpin lace! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...