Saturday, March 5, 2011

As You Go...

I've been having some fun this week
with a different way of quilting
that I discovered recently...

It is called "Quilt As You Go."
So, one snowy morning
(did I use the "snow" word again?)
I thought I'd give it a try
on a table runner!

Each block is pieced, quilted, and then sewn together

The wonderful part about
"quilting as you go"
is that when you finish your top
your whole quilt is finished!


As I was working on this
I was thinking of the words...

As You Go...

And what they mean.

My husband has this philosophy...
and he has tried to instill it in our sons.

For example...
when the boys were lads
Whenever we got out of the car
he would always say,

"If everyone takes something now...
we won't have to come back for it later."

Or, as they were working on a project,
he would teach them to put away
their tools as they used them...
Then there wasn't such a big mess
left for later.

If they were headed upstairs
We would remind them to take anything
that belonged up there with them...
Instead of leaving downstairs
to be picked up later on.

As I taught my sons how
to research something
I explained the advantage of taking notes
"as you go"
So that at the end of your reading
you have everything that you need
to write your report.

I also try to do this when I am cooking...

As I prepare dinner
(or anything, for that matter)
I usually wash the dishes "as I go"
So that I don't have a whole sinkfull
in the end.

You know,
our Saviour has the same philosophy...
Whenever He encountered someone
on His journey...
He didn't say to Himself...

"Well, I can just tell them about
salvation next time I run into them..."

He knew how important
the "as you go" philosophy is...

For we might never have another opportunity...


"I charge thee therefore before God, 
and the Lord Jesus Christ, 
who shall judge the quick and the dead 
at his appearing and his kingdom; 
Preach the word; 
be instant in season, out of season; 
reprove, rebuke, exhort with all 
long suffering and doctrine.
 For the time will come 
when they will not endure sound doctrine;
but after their own lusts 
shall they heap to themselves teachers, 
having itching ears;
 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, 
and shall be turned unto fables.
 But watch thou in all things, 
endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist,
make full proof of thy ministry."
2 Timothy 4:1-5

27 comments:

  1. As you go is a good philosophy.....Quilt as you go looks like a good idea your runner turned out quite pretty....I may try this sometime when I can get back into doing some quilting. God Bless Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Laura!

    Your table runner is so pretty...I like all those colors together. That is a neat way to quilt!
    My mom loves to quilt, so I'll have to tell her about this. The quilt she's been working on most recently is a Stack-n-Whack. I'm looking forward to seeing it next time we visit.

    I think the "As You Go" advice is very wise!
    When we do a little bit at a time, we don't have one big job to do later! :)

    This also applies to learning new things! We learn a little at a time. It reminds me of the verse in Isaiah that says, "precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little, and there a little."

    By the way, I've been thinking about Samuel and the truck he's building. I hope he's enjoying it! :) That is quite an undertaking!

    Have a wonderful day, my friend. I've been having fun thinking about getting to meet you one of these days!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great encouragement! So, now here I leave a "thank you" as I go! I got to you blog by way of homeschool on the croft. I really appreciate your words here. Thanks, hope you have a glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...and your quilting is lovely...do you finish it on the back w/ strips over the seams?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting thought, enjoyed your blog, look forward to getting to know you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laura...such a post to ponder! "As you go"...have never really given much thought to those special words...but now that you share this...I think that I have always gone by these words as I tend to my homekeeping and other chores that I take care of! It certainly makes for that feeling of being organized and having things in order...which I sometimes tend to go a bit overboard on. (You would just need to ask my family on that one!)HE!HE! The spiritual aspect makes so much sense as well! Thank you for sharing! I love your quilted table runner! So, so pretty! Weekend Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Trish,

    Thank you so much for stopping by! I had such fun with this project...and how quickly it was finished! It really was nice being able to see it come together so quickly. I'm thinking of trying a bigger project now using this same method...we'll see what happens!

    Hope you are having a very blessed weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Melanie,

    As always, it is so nice to have you stop by for a visit! Thank you for the sweet comment about the table runner...it was so much fun to make and a quick project to start with. I just found out about the stack-n-whack quilts...they sound really interesting! I'm such a traditional quilter...some of these new ideas are quite foreign to me. That's one of the things I love about blogging...it is such a great way to find out what other crafters are doing...and get some wonderful help!

    Samuel has been moving right along with his project. My dad found a bunch of old truck manuals the other day and gave them to Sam...and he's been totally engrossed in them ever since! He's met an old fellow who lives not too far from here that has befriended him...and another gentleman who has an entire garage full of old parts. Both men have invited him (and Preston, of course) to come over and see the hot rods they are building. They've offered to help him with his project...and may even have some parts for him. He's very excited!

    I've been really trying to adopt the "as you go" philosophy more and more in my daily life. Trying to make time to stop and talk with people...to not be in such a rush in the grocery store...or when I run into someone anywhere for that matter...but to take the time to really connect with the folks around me. We live in such hurried times...I really want to enjoy those that I come in contact with.

    Your verse in Isaiah was so perfect...we try as a family to study our Bible together this way. God's Word is such a comfort to us when we truly study it and apply it to our lives.

    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a chance to get together! What a special time we would have! We have been praying with Daniel that a teaching opportunity would open up (either in a Christian high school or college) this spring when he finishes his masters. His plan, God willing, is that he would teach for a while, and then begin his doctorate after he had saved some more money. We are so grateful that both of our sons have been able to get their college degrees without incurring any debt. Daniel really would love to do his doctorate at Liberty U...he so enjoyed getting his masters through their online program....but we'll just have to see what the Lord holds in store for him. We have thought about taking a trip down to visit the college...if we ever do, I'll be sure to let you know!

    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Keri,
    Thank you so much for stopping by...I'm so glad that you found my blog! I also want to thank you for your sweet comment! This certainly was a fun project...and so simple and quick! I am going to hop over to your blog to answer you question about the backing. Hope you visit again!

    Have a blessed Sunday!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Karen,

    Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm glad that you found my blog and I hope that you will be back to visit again!

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Teri,

    Always so nice to visit with you, my dear! I can tell from your wonderful blog that you are very organized...much the same way I am I envision! I'm sure that your family truly appreciates this quality in you!

    Thank you for the sweet comment about the table runner. I really had fun with this...and have been thinking about how I could incorporate this method into other projects as well!

    Hope you are having a terrific weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love your quilt! It looks like lots of fun! I honestly struggle sometimes with keeping to "as I go" but have been working on that and doing much better! This makes me think how important it is to live faith "as we go" each day since we never know "who" is watching and how God may use us and or even the devil. We have to always be on our guard to hold up the faith! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello and thank you for the visit and sweet comment you left at my blog this week ~

    "As you go" can be applied to so many things ~ Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the heads up about the tutorial! I see now how it is done. Your work is lovely....fun to see your etsy shop! I do not have an etsy sight...as of yet. It was kind of you to ask. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Nabila,

    Your comment about living our faith "as we go" is so very true. Our faith should not just be a part of our life...it should be our whole life. And, as you said, we must be on our guard daily. For God's Word tells us that there are many who will come "in the name of Jesus" to lead us astray...all the while claiming His name. Our best defense against this is His Word and a life bathed in prayer.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Melanie!

    I'm so glad that you had a moment to stop by for a visit! Thank you for your comment about this post...I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I hope you will stop back again soon!

    Have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Keri,

    So glad that I could be of help...I just love it when we can share ideas! Wouldn't it be wonderful for you to have an etsy site...I'll bet your children like to make crafts as well that you could sell! Look forward to visiting with you again!

    Have a blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post! And I love your runner. It's very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura, this runner turned out so lovely. You are really a gifted lady. Sometimes I think I would love to have time to reclaim my sewing machine. But at this season of life, I have much to keep me busy in the general maintaining of heart, home, and office!
    My friend that died in Jan, her husband is with us for a bit of time. He is doing well...but it is still hard.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Karen,
    Thank you so much for stopping by and for the sweet comment. I so enjoyed the post about the "burnt biscuits" on your blog. I hope that you and your family have a very blessed week!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Mandy,

    So nice to hear from you! Thank you for your sweet comment...it means so much coming from a very talented lady herself! Don't fret, dear friend, there will be time for sewing later...you have much more important work right now. How very sweet of you to open your home to your friend's husband...such a wonderful gift of kindness and charity.

    May you and your family have a very blessed week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Laura,
    I was reading Keri's blog, and saw your comment.., I thought I would pop over and say Hi. I too have twins (girls) who are now 26 and such blessings in my life. (I have 7 all together). Love your sweet blog. I also loved your post about quilting as you go, and the correlations you made. I would love to try the quilting idea, and will pop back over to Keri's blog to re-read the answer you gave her, because I the same question. I also took a peak at your son Josh's blog, and liked it very much.
    Many Blessings,
    Pam
    had the same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Mom,

    Your post was an encouragement for me to use every opportunity I have to share the Gospel will someone. It seems like hesitation has always been my worst enemy. There are so many opportunities that I didn't use that I wish I had back.

    By the way...why did you use the snow word again?! It can't get out of here fast enough!

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Pam,
    Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit...and for your sweet comments! Thank you also for visiting Joshua's blog...he just loves new visitors! I hope that you enjoy the "quilt as you go" method...I had such fun with it. It was so amazingly easy...I am looking forward to adapting other projects using this method.

    Have a blessed day...hope you stop by again!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Joshua,
    Your words speak such truth...how often do we let precious moments go by out of fear, frustration, or hurrying. We should never let the opportunity to share our faith pass by.

    As for the snow, after Sunday's rain, it is leaving quite quickly, isn't it! Poor Aunt Nancy, another 2 feet! We will have much clean-up to do when spring finally does get here!

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  26. "As You Go"....That is EXACTLY what I have tried to teach my kids over the years.
    It felt so strange (and good) reading it on someone else's blog:))

    Very good post here:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good Morning, Dawn, and thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I think that many folks over the years have adapted the "as you go" method with their children...it really helps instill a sense of responsibility and organization. Thank you for your sweet comment as well! I plan to visit your blog very soon!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...