I love homeschooling
for so many different reasons...
But one of my most favorite
is that my husband and I
get to choose just what
information our children will or will not
be exposed to.
Part of the curriculum we have
developed for our youngest son
consists of some wonderful storybooks.
If you are not familiar with
the Lamplighter series
or some of the books from
Rod and Staff publishers...
They are definitely worth checking out!
as I was washing the dishes...
and Samuel was sitting at the kitchen table
working on his lessons...
He asked me...
"What does people who live in glass houses
shouldn't throw stones mean?"
The question caught me off guard
for a moment...
Until I realized that he was reading
from one of the storybooks...
Frankly, I was a bit surprised that
he had never come across this idiom before...
So...I explained...
"It means that we shouldn't criticize people
for having faults that we ourselves might have."
We decided to take a moment to
research the idiom online...
(another wonderful part of homeschooling!)
and found out the following information
which came from EduQnA...
Basically it's a warning not to be hypocritical.
The phrase can be traced back to
The phrase can be traced back to
Geoffrey Chaucer's 'Troilus and Criseyde' (1385).
George Herbert wrote in 1651:
'Whose house is of glass,
must not throw stones at another.'
This saying is first cited in the United States
in 'William & Mary College Quarterly' (1710).
Twenty-six later Benjamin Franklin wrote,
'Don't throw stones at your neighbors',
if your own windows are glass.'
'To live in a glass house' is used as a figure of speech referring to vulnerability."
"Well," Samuel said,
"Don't we live in a glass house?"
Again, I had to stop and think for a moment...
Again, I had to stop and think for a moment...
for our house does have
quite a few windows...
but basically is a simple cape...
And so I asked him to clarify...
By his way of thinking,
And so I asked him to clarify...
By his way of thinking,
as Christians we live in "glass houses"
because people watch us
to see how we behave
and how we handle situations
and how we respond to people...
And so we have to be careful
because we not only represent our family
but also the family of God.
Out of the mouths of babes...
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye,
Out of the mouths of babes...
"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye,
but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
Matthew 7:3


If those are the windows in your house I LOVE your windows and need to come visit! ;o) Isn't that so neat for him to make that connection. I think of this a lot with my line of work. Am I being the example of what I should? I have never been one to shout out to others that I'm a "Christian" because I didn't feel it necessary. I have just tried to live out my Christianity. Obviously I have failed many times being human but when it boils down to it. I have had people say they noticed the way I lived and saw the difference. I just *pray* that as I keep working in my field of hair that I stay grounded and not get lost in the superficial side of "beauty". :o) Ok well that was a long lil note but felt like sharing a bit with you my dear! ;o)
ReplyDeleteOh, Nabila Grace, what fun we would have if you came to visit! We could sit and sip tea...and I could spoil those precious little ones of yours with cookies and milk! You could come up with some wonderful plan for my unruly curly hair...oh, the possibilities!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your concerns about "evangelizing." We shouldn't need to tell people that we are Christians, as you pointed out, but our lives should bear witness that we are. Then, when someone notices something "different" about us...we can share that it is because of Him that we are different. That way God gets all the glory.
Keep doing what your doing, my dear. Your work is your ministry right now as you reach out to those you come in contact with.
Have a blessed weekend,
Laura
Our lives should bear witness of who we are! So true indeed dear Laura. I go around basically mean myself. I don't speak about my believes until they become apparent to everyone around of who I belong...evangelizing is something I don't do at all. I find it very intrusive. It turns people off completely. I guess it comes from being married to a non-believer and then appreciating his insight after he accepted Christ into his heart!
ReplyDeleteYour windows...your home, so warm and cozy. Can I come visit with Nabila? You don't have to spoil mine since they are a bit older, but you can put them to work with your son...they will truly enjoy that :-)
blessings dear Laura!
M.
Now, Maria, nobody is too old to be spoiled with milk and cookies! What a blessed time we would all have together!
ReplyDeleteAnd what a blessing that your husband came to know the Lord...for this is the best Gift of all!
Have a lovely day,
Laura
Hi, Laura~
ReplyDeleteHow perceptive your son is! Yes, people are always watching us to see what we're going to do. Many times we don't even realize we're being watched! It's a sobering thought.
Your home is beautiful, Laura. What amazing views you have! I agree that nobody is too old to be spoiled with milk and cookies. I meant to say something about those delicious looking cookies in your post about the dishtowels. :)
Hope you're all staying warm in this frigid weather!♥
Dear Melanie,
ReplyDeleteAhah! Another "milk and cookie" lover! I just knew we'd be friends! Tea just isn't the same without a nice warm cookie to go with it!
It is amazing how much people watch us, isn't it? I come across this quite often in the grocery store...people will stop and speak to me and seem to know so much about me, or my husband, or my sons...and yet I've never met them before. It really makes up stop and think about the awesome responsibility we carry...but, oh so worth the load!
Have a blessed evening (and a warm cookie!)
Laura
A lovely, thought provoking post!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning and thanks so much for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day!
Laura