Monday, January 31, 2011

Free The Birds!

You know those crazy family moments...
The ones that you'll always remember?

It started early this bright sunny morning
at the breakfast table...
I made the off-hand remark...

"My poor ladies haven't been
outside in weeks!"

You see, our outdoor hen pen
was buried in about 2 feet of snow.
It had been much too cold
for the "ladies" to wander outside...

But today was so sunshiny...

Suddenly, I heard the shout...
"FREE THE BIRDS!"

All three of my sons 
quickly donned boots, mittens, and coats,
grabbed shovels...
And headed out to the pen.
 
Let's get this job done, men!

Joshua decided to use his 
leaf blower...
To blow some of the snow away.
(This is a great idea, by the way,
It really moves snow quickly!)

Feel the power!

I watched bravely from the window...
after all, someone had to keep an eye
on the cookies in the oven! 

"Okay...when I say "three"...everybody lift!"
In a matter of moments
The birds were free!
The boys threw some shavings
down on the cold ground
so their little "tootsies" wouldn't get cold!

Did she really say, "Tootsies?"

Oh...I don't know if I can jump...it looks so cooooold!
Of course, their valiant efforts
were rewarded with hot chocolate
and warm chocolate chip cookies!

I had to bake chocolate chip...there were only 4 orange cookies left!

As usual...
It is always an "egg-citing" day
around the farm!
 
"Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest;
yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul."
Proverbs 29:17 

12 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! This post warmed my heart (despite the frigid appearance of your henhouse!). I can just imagine it all! Funny that you mention those orange cookies. I was just thinking about going into the kitchen to see if I have all the ingredients! :)

    Have a blessed week, and thank you for such a fun post. It really brightened my spirits on this cold winter evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Linda,
    So glad you liked the story...it was pretty funny to be watching it from the kitchen window! I just feel so blessed...my sons so enjoy spending time together...no matter what they are doing!

    I'm also thankful that my "ladies" got one day outside...doesn't look like that will happen again for awhile. We are expecting 3 inches today...and another foot or more of snow tomorrow...what a winter!

    Have a blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would echo Miss Linda’s comment here . . . this was a fun post, Mrs. Laura! I am sure ‘your ladies’ we’re quite happy to be able to get out and about after being ‘cooped’ up for awhile. The photo of the ones trying to decide whether or not to fly out on the snow made me laugh! So much like our hens! The other day our hens were out free-ranging as there were quite a few bare places right around their coop . . . when I went out to bring the laundry in, there was a hen way over by the clothesline and she was panicking . . . she had walked out across the snow, but was terrified to go back over the snow to get back to the coop! And as dusk was coming on, she was getting desperate. When she saw me, she started running towards me, wings flapping, and she had this look of ‘help!’ on her face. I ended up needing to catch her as well as a few other hens that were ‘stranded’ out on the snow, and then bring them back to the coop. It certainly added some entertainment to my evening! Oh, the joys of keeping chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just picture you, Miss Sarah, rescuing your helpless birds! We so enjoy our hens...and our mellow rooster with the "sick loon" crow...they keep us entertained, that's for sure! And of course, we love the eggs we get! It is amazing how much the depend on us...how utterly helpless they are...sort of like us with our Lord...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Laura! What a great picture in my mind's eye of your boys "freeing the birds." :)

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Christine,
    Thanks for stopping by! It really was a sight to see...the snow was flying everywhere...the hens were so comical! It's always good to add a little humor to your day!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura..that is so fun! I love seeing your ladies. :o) I was never sure how cold was too much. But living in Houston, I think we are pretty safe. Except this next week! 50% chance of snow!! That's a miracle around here. I'm out covering all my bushes with sheets. Had to come in to warm up my hands. And to think yesterday we were sipping hot tea on the porch swing enjoying the 'spring sunshine' and balmy temperatures. Texas weather is just plain weird. Ha!

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Donna,
    So nice to have you stop by for a visit! Can you believe this crazy winter weather? The poor mid-west...getting storms the likes of which they have never seen before! And snow in Texas? Wow, that sounds like Maine! It started snowing here this morning...and is not supposed to stop until Thursday. We are trying to figure out just where we are going to put all this white stuff! My little greenhouse is almost covered over...perhaps it should be called a whitehouse! I'm glad that you decided to cover your bushes...the sheets should protect them through the storm.
    Hope you all stay warm and don't get any snow...although I would mind sharing just a little with you!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Laura...such a cute post! Thank you for sharing! Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice of you to drop by, Teri! Glad you enjoyed the post...it was a fun day for us!

    Have a blessed evening!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. awwwww I love that! ;o) Nothing better then some team work to get the job done smoothly and fast! ;o) I'm sure the ladies were very happy. ;o) And yes you sure did need to stand and watch those cookies...they need their maker right beside them! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning!
    Yes, they sure are quite a team...especially when they get an idea in their minds! Children are such a blessing...we come to realize this even more so as they grow!

    Hope you have a restful day, Nabila,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...