Yesterday, our resident mechanic
and his trusty helper...
on Joshua's pick-up truck.
Now, before you start thinking
That the mechanic is my husband...
Think again.
Although Preston is more than capable
He was at work...so it was not him.
just turned 16 year old son, Samuel.
Sam is our family mechanic.
We knew that he had a knack for fixing things
Ever since he was big enough
To start bringing motors and such
home from the transfer station
to take apart and put back together...
| Joshua gives Samuel a hand! |
But we really didn't catch on that he had a "gift"
Until the day my washer died...literally.
One minute I was washing a load of towels...
The next minute...nothing.
Now, I know that I shouldn't complain...
After all, the machine was 100+ years old,
But, who wants their machine to die
right in the middle of wringing out towels!
My sweet husband took the back off
Talked some mechanical talk that went right over my head...
And gave me the bad news...
The part that was gone was pretty costly
And the machine just wasn't worth it.
Fortunately, we knew of a lady
Who had just inherited her grandmother's home.
She had an extra washing machine
That she was more than willing to give us
To tide us over until we could get a new one.
So my sons took the pick-up
And went to get the machine.
Unfortunately, the machine had been stored
in the grandmother's house over the winter
With no heat.
And the lines hadn't been drained...
So...water had frozen and cracked the lines
and part of the tub.
Now we had two dead machines in our garage
Waiting for Saturday to be hauled to the transfer station.
Samuel, I believe, was about 10 at the time.
After I got over the disappointment of the 2nd machine
And resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be
making a trip to the laundrymat...
Samuel quietly asked me...
"Mom, do you mind if I take apart the machines
and see if there are any wires or fuses that I could save
Before we take them to the dump?"
Sam has a whole tub full of switches and wire
and fuses and what-not that he saves from all his projects.
Some people collect stamps...
This is what Samuel collects.
So I told him to "have fun" and went back to my housework.
He disappeared into the garage for about an hour.
Then, just as quietly, came back in and said...
"Mom, I think the machine will work now..."
Well, what do you say to a 10 year old
Who thinks he's fixed something?
I couldn't imagine hauling that machine
back inside to hook it up again...
But I also knew that I couldn't break his heart either...
So, my response...
"Let's see what papa says when he gets home."
When my husband arrived home,
He patiently listened as Samuel explained
what he had done to fix the machine.
Samuel told him that he combined some of the
2nd machine with my original machine.
Mind you, they weren't even the same brand!
So...after he explained what he did...
My husband said, "Let's try it!"
What a shock for us...
The machine was up and running...
And did so for about another four years.
Why was it so difficult for us to believe
That our young son could fix something so complicated?
Probably for the same reasons
That the people of Jesus' hometown of Nazareth
Had difficulty believing who He was
and what He could do.
"And all bare him witness and wondered
at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth.
And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
And he said, Verily I say unto you,
No prophet is accepted in his own country."
Luke 4: 22,24
I'm certain that this must have been quite a shock
for them as well.


Beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing. ~Alana~
ReplyDeleteYou are a good story-teller, Mrs. Laura, making posts like this fun to read. :) And my! Samuel is talented! Maybe he’d like to come help fix our truck. :)
ReplyDeleteThat’s wonderful that you are able to cultivate this gift that he has and be able to help develop his skills in this area. Yet another blessing that homeschooling provides!
Hello again Alana!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear from you and thank you so much for the lovely comment. Hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful day.
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Good Morning Miss Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you enjoy our stories! When I told Samuel that your truck needed fixing he asked how long it would take us to drive to Missouri! He's got his toolbox...and he's ready to roll!
Your comment about homeschooling is to true. Samuel has learned so much from other folks...particularly the elderly in our community who have been mentors to him...these are skills he would never have learned in a school setting. We praise God every day that we are able to educate our children in this manner.
Have a wonderful day!
Mrs. Laura
Thanks for sharing! You have a gift for writing and its always a pleasure to read.
ReplyDeleteDear Antmee,
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet thing to say! I'm glad that you enjoy my posts...I do so love visiting your blog!
Have a blessed day,
Laura
Laura,
ReplyDeleteSo often young men spend their time playing games or "hanging out"... it is so wonderful to see one that enjoys working with his hands as the Scriptures have said...1 Thessalonians 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
You have done a marvelous work in the lives of your sons...I know it is God that has done the work...but you are an example of a faithful mother.
Mandy
Dear Mandy,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words. We feel so blessed with our sons...God is so good. They are such a gift to us and we treasure each and every moment with them...as I know you and your husband do with your lovely children.
Please give our love to all,
Laura
What a beautiful story! God has blessed him with a great talent! :o)
ReplyDeleteDear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteHe just loves working with his hands...and he absorbs information like a sponge! He is certainly handy to have around!
So nice to hear from you, friend...
Laura