I have the most incredible sister-in-law...
She truly lives out the words,
"Love Thy Neighbour"
About once or twice a month,
Mom and I will get a care package from her...
Filled with "craft kits"
We never know what might be in the package,
But they are always a welcomed surprise.
Here is one of the latest...
You see, Nancy knows that we love to craft,
So, every Friday,
she visits the "Senior Center" in her town.
They have a little store where they sell items
that folks have donated
or homemade items that the seniors have made.
Nancy goes and visits with the ladies,
And while she is there,
She looks for craft kits for us,
Because she knows we love to craft.
The elderly ladies so look forward to her visits...
They even have a "Nancy" box
that they keep under the counter...
And fill it with whatever craft items come in.
"We thought your mom and sister-in-law
might like to do these,"
they will always say.
And Nancy always replies,
"Oh, these are just perfect!
I know that they will love them!"
She also picks up handmade items
for her many nieces and nephews
Which is wonderful for the children
and the ladies at the center as well.
This is Nancy's ministry...
She finds out what type of things make people happy...
And then she searches for those type of things.
She is the one who will send a card...
With a handwritten note...
To everyone...For every occasion...
Mind you, coming from a family of 10...
We have a HUGE extended family!
Whenever we have a family gathering in Massachusetts,
She will call everyone who travels from any distance,
Just to make sure that they made it home safely,
And to tell them that she was so glad to see them.
She and my brother were not blessed
with children of their own,
But Nancy is more of a "mother" to many children,
Than their own moms.
I'm not even sure why I am feeling such a need,
To write about her right now...
She has been doing this for as long as I have known her...
Which is a VERY LONG time!
I guess, it is because lately,
I've seen so many examples of "pre-packaged"
Christianity and ministry.
People latch on to one technique or method...
and use it on as many people as they can...
In what they claim is an effort
to "spread the gospel"...
But this wasn't my Savior's example...
Oh, No...
When I read about Jesus' ministry
in the gospels...I find...
When I read about Jesus' ministry
in the gospels...I find...
He treated everyone as an individual...
He knew them inside and out,
He spent time with them,
He loved them.
This is what my sister-in-law does,
She understands that "love"
is not just a feeling...
but a willful action...
She "lives" the meaning of the words...

I was lead to your blog today, I'm sure of it. I needed to hear your SIL acts of living the gospel though simple, completely unselfishly. What a delight she is in your life. You speak so well of her. You talked of her no doubt as you were lead by HIM on high to show us an example of true kindness. I'm happy to have found your blog. Tammy
ReplyDeleteDear Tammy,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting...and for your encouraging words. Nancy is such a dear...and a wonderful role model of a Christian walk. I look forward to you visiting again!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
How beautiful! :o) What a wonderful reminder of how to be living love! :o)
ReplyDeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you so much. Living for the Lord and being a witness to Him...is just a day by day event. Sometimes I see people who are "fulltime", and I think, But aren't we all full time. Doing His will where ever He has put us. Some times that is just blessing the family you are in or in could be across the world. I know our oldest daughter and her husband work to encourage girls in an orphanage in India with simple things that Rebecca makes or purchases for the girls. She sometimes lets us in on the blessings by making pillow cases or such. Yes, as believers in the Lord we are full time workers --all of us.
Dearest Laura,
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing your SIL is to everyone that is blessed to come in contact with her.
What truly resonated in my heart is what you wrote...
"But this wasn't my Savior's example...
Oh, No...
When I read about Jesus' ministry
in the gospels...I find...
He treated everyone as an individual...
He knew them inside and out,
He spent time with them,
He loved them."
This is so true. If we could just keep that in mind all the time, His Gospel, His Message of salvation will be received in a greater scale that ever before!
Thank you dear friend for your wisdom.
Maria
Dear Mandy,
ReplyDeleteYour comment...it is exactly what my heart feels as well. God has given us an unbelievable gift...and everything that we do should reflect that gift of love...our lives should be a "living example". Sometimes I get so frustrated with what others feel that ministry should be...it just isn't what I read in God's Word. Thanks so much for sharing your heart.
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Sweet Maria,
ReplyDeleteThis has been on my heart for some time now...I just see the "church" as a whole becoming more and more commercialized...and I know it must make our Lord sad indeed. If we could only look to Christ's example...in the Gospels...everytime He ministered to someone...He almost always did some sort of "physical" act for them first...be it healing, or providing food, or whatever...this was just as important to His message as the preaching was. It just seems to me that this part of ministry...the "good works" part...is sorely lacking...
Sorry for the rambling...just feeling frustrated, I guess. Thank you for your kind comments, my friend.
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Sweet Laura...such a heartwarming post that you have shared! How blessed so many are by your dear "sisters" acts of kindness! Thank you for sharing! Simple blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteDear Teri,
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear from you, my friend. My "sister" is such a dear...a favorite aunt amongst all the nieces and nephews...she is such a joy...just as you all are to me!
Sweet blessings,
Laura
Dear Nabila Grace,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words...I'm really feeling kind of sensitive about this issue right now...and I just had to share. I just see so many people around me in need of "a loving touch"...the Lord is just working on me heavy tonight, friend!
With love,
Laura