Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Right Of Way

The dirt road which we live on is about 2 miles long. It winds in for about a half mile off the tar road, then makes a big 1 1/2 mile circle. One way in...one way out...a "private road" sign at the end...or the beginning, depending on how you look at it.




The circle itself boarders the coastline. Those who live on the "outside" of the circle have the ocean as their "front lawn"...so to speak. Those who live on the inside...well, they may or may not have a "water view"...and for the most part, have no direct access to the ocean...that is, except for the "right of way".


You see, everyone's deed on our road states that we have a "right of way" to the ocean...and it specifically states where it is and how to find it. This "right of way" is narrow...just a little straight path...but to those who want access to the water...it means so much.





There is a sign marking this "right of way"...small, to be sure, but certainly visible...if you are willing to look for it.




Now, many of the folks who live on the outside of the circle...the ones with "ocean" front lawns...never ever use the "water" for anything...they don't boat, or fish, or swim...they are just content to watch the view from their front porch.

And there are also those who live on the inside who, rather than make the effort to use the "right of way", will just complain that they don't have immediate access to the water. They make statements such as, "Boy, what a waste...I tell you, if I lived right on the coast, I'd be in the water all the time!"

Many who own summer cottages on the "water" side of the circle are retired, elderly folks...and, if you take the time to ask them, would say that they are now too "old" to make use of the water...they wished that they'd had the opportunity when they were younger.



But those who make use of the "right of way" really want access to the water.

And they are willing to "walk the narrow path" to get to the wonderful benefits at the shore.





Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:14

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Laura. This was a great example using a real life scenario with Scripture.

    Yes, how many of us are willing to take the narrow path? I confess, sometimes I want the easy way. But it's not the right way.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura ~ Thank you for all that you share! I want to thank you for your comment on my last post...I know how easy it is to get our feelings hurt! I pray that your evening is going well and that it is filled with sweet and simple blessings! Hugs to you! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your real-life comparison to our real-life walk with our Lord!!! Wonderfully worded!!!
    In His Love...Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...