
First, the rain...
Then, the sun...
Then, the weeds!
I spent a good part of the morning in the garden with the corn. Seems like overnight, there were more weeds than corn coming up. As I worked my way up the first row, I came across a strange sight...lettuce!

Now, this is especially strange in our garden because our corn in planted in the front garden...and the lettuce is planted way out back in a raised bed.

As I worked along and noticed the lettuce, I was planning to just pluck it out as I was doing with the weeds, when suddenly I thought of my husband.
Now, before you jump to the wrong conclusions, my husband is by no means small, green, and limpy. Quite the opposite. He stands over 6 feet tall and has broad shoulders. He is a hard worker and a wonderful husband and father. He is quiet, respectful...an honorable man of God.
So, why did the lettuce remind me of him, you ask? Well, you see, my husband is an electrician in a large company that employs many workers. All day he is surrounded by many people who do not know the Lord. Often times, the atmosphere is far from "Christian-like". So he stands alone, much like this lettuce in rows and rows of corn.
As I thought about how the corn will grow taller and taller, overshadowing the lettuce, I thought about how the negative attitudes of some of the people that he works with must be very overpowering sometimes. But he never complains...in fact, most evenings, during our evening family Bible time, he usually has a quiet story about someone that he was able to share a word of God with that day. He never makes too much of it, but I know that he is a powerful witness for the Lord each and every day.

I think I'll leave that lettuce right where it is...
...and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8b
Hi Laura ~ My husband reminds me so much of what you have shared! How blessed we are! Sweet blessings for your day! Hugs to you! Teri
ReplyDeleteHi! It is so nice to meet you! Have a great day! Twyla
ReplyDeleteSince I companion garden, I would have left it anyway. My sister was blogging recently about how she has stray veggies growing with her potatoes. Some of my favorite plants are strays, they seem to grow stronger and taller.
ReplyDeleteI love your analogy of the lettuce and your husband being that witness to his coworkers. The Lord spoke in parables for a reason. ALL of CREATION gives a glimpse into His ways!
Shalom!