These wintry days have been just perfect
for getting some inside projects completed...
Such as organizing my sewing and craft room!
Unfortunately,
while bustling around...
I knocked over my supply of
embroidery floss...
Yikes!!!
As you can see,
over the years I have
"inherited" many colors!
So...
I decided that it was time
to organize all this floss
in a different way...
one more easily accessible!
I decided that it was time
to organize all this floss
in a different way...
one more easily accessible!
Using some clothespins,
index cards,
and shoe totes purchased
at the dollar store...
I organized and labeled
the floss by color.
As you can see,
I still have some more to finish.
I simply wrapped each color
around a separate clothespin...
If I had the dmc color #
I taped it to the bottom of the pin.
Then grouped the clothespins
by color...
clipping them to labeled index cards.
The pins and cards stand up
and fit perfectly in the shoe totes
and are oh, so easy to locate now!
Now when I embroider,
I can clip the color right to the cloth...
Or, if I'm using more than one color,
clip them to a labeled index card.
While sorting through these
I came across this silver and gold
thread that I had used many years
ago in a project...
and was reminded of a song that
my grandpa used to sing to nana...
"Darling I am growing old,
Silver threads among the gold,
Shine upon my brow today,
Life is fading fast away."
"But, my darling, you will be,
Always young and fair to me,
Yes, my darling, you will be,
Always young and fair to me."
"Love can never more grow old,
Locks may lose their brown and gold;
Cheeks may fade and hollow grow,
But the hearts that love will know...
(Rexford:1873)
I can still hear him singing this to her...
May we always remember that
true love
never grows old...
And that the Love of Jesus
is always and forever
"young and fair..."
"I have loved thee with an everlasting love..."
Jeremiah 31:3
(Rexford:1873)
I can still hear him singing this to her...
May we always remember that
true love
never grows old...
And that the Love of Jesus
is always and forever
"young and fair..."
"I have loved thee with an everlasting love..."
Jeremiah 31:3








Hello dear Laura! This is such a clever idea! I love how you put them on a card with their color - so smart :)
ReplyDeleteGood to stop by for a visit! I pray you are enjoying your week. Hugs to you!
Thank you, dear Stephanie. It did take me a little while...but it was definitely worth it. Now I can tell at a glance which colors I am getting low in...and it keeps them all neat and tidy and untangled...which is always a plus!
DeleteSo nice to have you stop by, sweetie. Hope you are having a blessed week, too!
Hugs,
Laura
Excellent way to keep your thread colors straight. Mine is more or less organized now, but I can remember in days gone by when thread boxes were one big tangled mess. Clipping the thread to your work is a good idea too; many times, if the work is put back for a while, one forgets exactly which color was used before.
ReplyDeleteSweet song; wonderful that you still remember it!
Oh, I am so glad to have these organized! It makes me want to do some more embroidery! I have a few small projects in the works...right now I'm working on some faces for prim bunnies...since it is snowing AGAIN!!! Looks like another 6 inches tonight...no wonder all the rabbits around here are white!
DeleteHave a wonderful week!
Hugs,
Laura
A precious memory of your grandpa and nana, Laura, and also wise words of wisdom. That's a wonderful way to store embroidery thread!
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Kathy in Illinois
Thanks, Kathy...I really needed to get it organized. I love to embroider...and love having so many colors to choose from!
DeleteHugs,
Laura
Laura,
ReplyDeleteyou are brillant.. What an excellent idea.. I have the old box to put my thread in, [when cross stitching, i bought all the little cardboards to put the thread on.. You can't find the colors..awful!!
I am going to go to the dollar tree, and buy some clothes pins and shoe boxes.. love this idea.. Proud you dropped your thread...ooops.. didn't quiet mean it like that.lol Hugs my friend.. Praying for you.
Thank you for sharing you idea.
Hi Judy! I did those little cardboard thingies for a while...never could find what I needed! :) This works out soooooo much better for me!
DeleteHugs,
Laura
What a great idea. Years ago when I cross stitched, I had a massive tangled mess of threads! The song/memory you shared is so very sweet. God bless your day.
ReplyDeleteOh...I've had that tangled mess, too! I tend to save every little bit of thread...and it is so easy for them to get "all mixed together!" Hope things are well where you are!
DeleteBlessings,
Laura
What a great idea to conquer the tangled threads! Thanks for sharing that song with us. Sometimes it seems like there's way too much focus on the young and being beautiful. There's a beauty in growing old naturally and sharing that with someone you love.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your day,
Judy
So true...so true, dear Judy. Some of the most beautiful folks I know are well into their 80s and 90s. Wisdom, laughter, love, faith...that is true beauty.
DeleteHi Laura, I hope all is well with you. I miss your posts.
ReplyDelete:)
Oh, Rhonda...thanks so much for checking up on me...it is so sweet of you! It has been a busy time for us...a time of adjustment. But we are settling into a new routine...and I look forward to blogging again!
DeleteThank you, Teri...you always leave such encouraging comments! Hope everything is going well for you and your sweet family!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Laura