Saturday, January 11, 2014

Out With the Old...In With the New!

Happy New Year, dear friends!

I had planned to share this post
over a week ago..


But as you can see from these photos...
We've been dealing with some rather unsettling
weather here on the coast of Maine...


Between the snow, ice,
winds, and frigid temperatures...
Seems as though we've been a bit busy!

In fact, 
we spent New Year's Eve
replacing the stove pipe 
in my dad's workshop...


 The project started the day before...
We were just planning to clean his chimney...
but found the stovepipe in desperate need
of being replaced!


 We would have waited...
But New Year's Eve found us
with 50 mph winds
temperatures averaging about
15 below zero,
and a foot of snow expected...


My husband was very concerned
that we could possibly lose power
and the stove would be needed for heat...
So...


Out with the old...
In with the new!

My dad was so appreciative
and so relieved
that he didn't have to worry about
a chimney fire...
And that he was all set if we lost power...
Which, thankfully,
we didn't !


So often we try to look on 
the New Year as a new beginning...

And, yet,
we still hold tight to the same
old fears, worries, concerns,
regrets, unforgiveness
"burning" in our hearts...

which keep us from growing
and going forward...

My New Year's prayer for you,
dear friends,
is that you will let go of the 
"hurts" of the past...
And let Christ in...
and make you new.


"Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, 
[he is] a new creature: 
old things are passed away; 
behold, all things are become new..."
2 Corinthians 5:17

12 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you, Laura, and thank you for the new year's prayer. I will try to let go of past hurts and let Christ in to make me new. What a wonderful thought! So glad your dad got new stovepipes. I hope your weather is better now. We had -26 one night with wind chills of -45. Also we went for several days with never getting above 0. God bless you and your family in the new year.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't this just been the craziest winter for weather, Kathy! Happy New Year to you, too, my friend! Today...we had a really heavy rainstorm...but the temps. got up to 50 degrees! Yet, just a few miles south of us...temps in the 30s, freezing rain and sleet, and lots of accidents! As my nana always said...never a dull moment!

      May this year be filled with many special blessings for you and your lovely family, dear Kathy!
      With love,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. We are "enjoying" the same lovely weather here in NH:) With below 0 temperatures....but my sister thoughtfully reminded the rest of the family that these temperatures should only make us more thankful when we get a teen number or even hit the twenty's in weather!:) I pray you'll have a blessed year and that you'll keep safe in these road conditions! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miss Cassie,
      So nice to hear from you! It's been a very long time! I know that you all have been experiencing the same wintery weather as we have...I spoke with my brother today (he lives in Concord) and he was telling me about all the accidents and closed roads and freezing temps! What a blessing that it looks like tomorrow and Monday are going to be sunny and a bit warmer! Hope you and your family are doing well...please tell your sister, Devin, that I said "hello"...praying that you and your family have a most wonderful new year ahead...filled with His richest blessings!

      With love,
      Mrs. Laura

      Delete
  3. The weather is just as cold here in the mountains Laura. I was thinking about you today...so good to read your words my friend. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too, my dear friend!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful post, Laura. Thank you for the reminder to let go of all the hurts in the past. Yes, they keep us from moving forward, and the devil is more than happy to keep dredging them all up!

    I'm so glad you were able to get the stovepipe replaced, and I'm glad you didn't lose power! We were fortunate here too. It was so windy last week with the cold temperatures. I found myself praying quite often that we wouldn't lose power, and we didn't! It would have been very cold. We have a kerosene heater and a generator so we can plug in the little space heaters if we lose power, but I'm glad it didn't come to that.

    Hope you enjoy your week! hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as though you have been getting some of the same frigid weather that we've had, Melanie! I'm so glad that you have a kerosene heater...that must ease your mind a bit when the winds are blowing!

      Hope you have a wonderful week as well, my friend! Just think...you're half way through the school year already!
      Love,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Laura!

    My aunt lives in Surry, Maine and she said it was a very difficult storm, so much damage. They were without power for a week.

    So happy to know the LORD brought you through the storm and that you were a blessing to your father.

    May you have a blessed week!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Sarah!
      Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that your aunt was without power for so long! That has happened to us before...but, thankfully, we escaped it this storm. Surry is about 2 hours north of us on the coast (though probably faster by boat!). If you ever drive up to visit your aunt...we would love to have you stop by!

      Sweet blessings to you...
      Laura

      Delete
  6. Hello my dear Laura! It has been a while since I have visited your beautiful blog - how are you, my sweet friend? I pray your New Year is going well.

    I have been somewhat absent from blogging lately due to moving into a new home so it's very good to stop by and say "hello!" Take care and many blessings to you!

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you stop by for a visit, dear Stephanie! How exciting...a new year and a new home! Hope all is well with you and your family...stay warm!
      With love,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...