Although she went home to be
with the Lord over 30 years ago,
I still hear the sweet small voice
of my nana every day...
Friends, neighbors, and family
know how much I like to sew...
Because of this, I often inherit cloth
when someone is cleaning
out their stash...
Recently, my sister gave me several tubs
full of cloth and craft supplies...
Her mother-in-law was moving in...
And she had lots of material that she
wasn't planning on using anymore.
Inside one of the tubs
was a plastic bag full of 1 1/2 inch cotton strips
of cloth left over from her quilting days...
So, I decide to use them to make a
small strip quilt for a baby...
Now, anyone who sews knows
that you can't rush a quilt...
"Haste makes waste..."
My nana would gently remind me...
Yet, I was so anxious to get this finished
that I hastily put on the borders
and ended up having to rip them out
and start all over again.
Seems like this has been a summer
of rushing...
We were rushing to get the roof
shingled in between all the rainstorms...
![]() | |
| Covering the stripped roof with tarps in between the rainstorms...we called it "red neck roofing!" |
Rushing to help my parents get their
house ready for yet another showing...
![]() | |
| Hurrying to get the float in for summer... |
Rushing to help one of my sons find a "new" car
right before he started his new job
after his car became "unfixable..."
We stopped at one of the used car lots
in a neighboring town one afternoon...
The salesman was quick to try
to sell us one of those
"One in a million" deals...
But my nana's voice whispered...
"Something that seems too good to be true...
Usually is..."
And, of course, once again
she was right...
The vehicle had many mechanical issues...
Oh, sometimes I, too, can get very impatient
wanting things to happen before God's timing...
Like wishing our tomatoes or
cukes or beans would grow faster..
Yet. once again,
I hear my nana's words of wisdom...
"Patience is a virtue that carries
Autumn is truly perhaps
my favorite season here in Maine...
Because it seems as though
the "rushing" slows down a bit...
We live on a long dirt road
on the water...
There are about 40 homes on this road...
But only 5 are year round.
During the summer months
We watch our "weekend" neighbors
Rush up here from the cities
and try to cram a lifetime full of memories
into two or three days...
or perhaps, if they are fortunate,
a week at a time.
They "fly" by our home
in their fast cars...
barely pausing a moment to stop
and say "hello" or wave...
But those of us who live here year round
know that there are some things
that just cannot be rushed...
It always takes 6 hours for the tide to come in...
And 6 hours for it to go back out again...
A constant gentle reminder to us
that, in most instances,
"rushing" never benefits anyone...
As my nana would often say..
"Anything worth having...
Is worth waiting for..."
Thank you, Nana...
"Desire without knowledge is not good,
and one who moves too hurriedly misses the way..."
Proverbs 19:2







So true...your nana was a very wise woman! Anything worth having is definitely worth waiting for. Waiting can be so hard, especially when it's something we really want, but it's worth it when we do.
ReplyDeleteSummer seems to have passed by so quickly. I can feel Autumn in the air. Hard to believe school starts back next week!
We spent last week with my parents. We had such a nice, relaxing visit.
I like the sweet quilt you made. How nice of your sister to give you the material. :-)
Praying all is well with your parents and brother.
Hugs to you, my sweet friend.♥
It is always so nice to hear from you, dear friend! Thank you for your sweet comment about the quilt...I just love the vintage fabric in it. My sister's mother-in-law has made some beautiful quilts over the years. I love the quilt that your mama made...it is so precious! How wonderful that you got to spend some time with your parents this summer. I know how much that means to you.
DeletePraying that your school year starts off well...I can hardly believe it is that time again already! The snow will be flying again before we know it!
My parents are doing well for their age...90 years old and married 70 years! I am taking dad today to the doctor he sees for his cancer...we always stop at Dunkin Donuts when we go...sort of our little time together.
My brother has good days and bad days...now that the cancer has moved to his bones he is in a lot of pain most of the time. We are leaving this in God's more than capable hands.
Have a wonderful day, my sweet friend!
Love,
Laura
As I continue to live simpler, my days are no longer as rushed as before. It is such a joy to live this way... m.
ReplyDeleteSo true, so true, dear Maria. Tis a gift to be simple...
DeleteSweet blessings,
Laura
So nice to hear from you, dear friend! I so understand what you mean by the "to do" list...it never seems to shrink, does it? But I so appreciate being able to live a simpler less hurried life...and I thank God daily for this.
ReplyDeleteHope you and your family are well and enjoying the last days of summer!
Love,
Laura
That is a treasure to get free fabric. I have been blessed that way as well. Its good that you don't have to be rushed, some people don't have a choice. I sure would hate to have to live they're life's. I posted my recipe. You could send me your to try. Love the quilt.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteYou are most welcomed, dear Laura. Have a lovely day!
Delete