Friday, April 29, 2011

The Fury of The Wind...

Our hearts are broken tonight...

As we pray for those whose lives
 were forever changed this week
by the devastating winds...

We, on the coast,
experienced just a small sampling
of this fury last evening...

As the skies darkened...
and the power flickered...
And the winds began to blow...



A large tree fell near our home
knocking down power lines...
starting a fire...



We were amazed...

It seemed as though
it was just moments later
when we heard the sounds of the sirens...


Our town volunteer fire department
arrived on the scene...
and quickly put out the blaze...


Tonight, as we remember those
 who have lost so much...

We pray for God's healing touch...

And we continue to thank Him...

For all the brave men and women
Who risk their lives everyday
To help others in need...


"Greater love hath no man than this, 
that a man lay down his life for his friends..."
John 15:13

22 comments:

  1. I pray that your family is safe. Yes, the devastation is immense. And our prayers are with those families tonight.

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria,

    Thank you so much for your words of comfort. We, too, join you in prayer tonight for these families who have lost so much...and we are ever so thankful for our God who comforts us in times of trial and sorrow.

    Blessings, my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Laura,

    I am so glad you and your family were safe during the windstorm. God was surely protecting you all!

    Yes, it is so sad to see the devastation from the tornadoes. I have been praying for the families and all they must be going through.
    We have a cousin in Tennessee who called to check on us, and told us she lost two of her friends in the tornadoes...very sad.

    I am so thankful the Lord is with us and watching over us every day. He is so faithful.

    Have a blessed weekend, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God the fire was stopped!
    Wind, water, fire..so much tragedy.
    I'm praying for the families who are suffering right now.
    As I sit in my loungeroom down here in Australia, and watch the images of the tornadoes on TV, I can only imagine what it must be like.
    I know it would be absolutely terrifying to me!
    My heart goes out to the poor souls.
    God bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fire did quite a bit of damage in a short time. Thank God for those volunteer men and women who fight the fires. I've been praying all week for those who have lost family and homes in the devastating tornadso. I've also been praying that the storms will end and we'll have calm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those who've lost are being prayed for here in Scotland too. Our hearts are sore for them... I posted on my blog about the Lee family, but there are countless others hurting too.
    So, so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs Laura
    These storms must be terrible! So glad to know that you and your family are safe.
    Thank you so much for the lovely comment you left on our blog for my birthday, I really appreciate it. :)
    God bless you and yours
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Melanie,

    Thanks for stopping by...hope you all had a great time on your vacation! It's always nice to have the chance to "get away" for a little while...

    So sorry to hear about your cousin...so many lives lost. My heart goes out to these folks...I can't imagine facing what they have had to face this week. And for those who do not know the Lord...where does their comfort come from?

    You must be excited to be on the "home stretch" as far as school goes! Do you have any special plans for summer?

    Hope you all have a very blessed Sunday!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Trish,

    Thanks so much for stopping by...and for your dear comments. We are so grateful that the fire was small...and put out so quickly and efficiently. Living in such a heavily wooded area...the threat of any fire can possibly be devastating.

    Our hearts are also with those who mourn tonight. Such tragedy...such sorrow. Certainly a time to turn to our Lord for comfort...and strength.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Granny,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...and for posting about my greenhouse on your blog! That was so sweet of you! I always like to share ideas when I can. I have learned so much from blogger friends around the world...

    We were so thankful for our incredible fire dept. The pictures look worse than it actually was...the wind knocked down quite a few dead trees before the fire actually started. What a blessing that no one got hurt and there was no property damage.

    Hope you are enjoying a restful weekend with Grampy!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Anne,

    I read the lovely post that you did on this...it is amazing the number of people around the world who are praying for those suffering from the devastation of the tornadoes. God's arms are so wide! What peace there is in knowing that He is in control...

    Have a very blessed Sunday,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Miss Jessica,

    Thanks so much for stopping by...and Happy Birthday again! I hope that you had just the best day with your family...17 is a very special age. How did you celebrate your birthday this year? I'm sure whatever you did...it was simply wonderful.

    Hope you and your family have a lovely Sunday,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs Laura, yes, I did have a wonderful day with my family at home. I was blessed to receive lovely gifts, phone calls, emails, messages, and of course, comments as well. :)
    Thank you again for your kind comments. :)
    God bless you
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Miss Jessica,

    I'm so glad that you were able to spend the day celebrating with your family...such special memories for you!

    Have a blessed week,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been absolutely heartsick by the devastation of the tornadoes and just haven't had much desire to visit other blogs this week. Please pardon my not stopping by sooner. So much devastation and loss of life. Several of the men in our congregation gathered supplies we all bought, loaded them into trucks and drove north to Alabama to help. I wanted to go with them but they said it was really no place for a woman so we all just stayed home and prayed for them. They came back last night and said it was all so horrible they couldn't talk about it.

    During the last two weeks here in Texas, not far from where I live, there were 125,000 acres of land were destroyed by fire. We thought they would never be able to get those fires out. They just burned and burned and burned. It took almost two weeks for them to completey get them contained. So many homes are now nothing but charred ruins. So much loss and devastation.

    It's all just almost too much to bear. My heart is so very heavy.

    I am so sorry about the fire and damage you experienced so close to your home. I am very thankful no damage was done to your home or property.

    "For His anger endureth but a moment; in His favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Miss Linda,

    Thank you so much for your comforting words and scripture...this has been such an emotional week for so many. What a wonderful outpouring of love from your church...so many people are reaching out in this time of need...exactly what our Lord commands us to do.

    Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Mrs. Laura,
    I wanted to write and thank you SO much for your prayers and your encouraging comments! My mom was very blessed by the comment you left her too (I'm not sure if she wrote and told you yet or not, so I wanted to be sure and tell you).
    I'm praising the Lord with you now for that fire there being put out so promptly!!! We've had a couple experiences with prairie fires being a couple miles away from our home and my dad has helped fight them, so we know how scary that can be! It is wonderful to know that we have a Heavenly Father who will help us through whatever struggles we have to go through, isn't it?
    I'm reminded now of a song we sing during our family hymn singing time each week:

    ...."Some through the waters, some through the flood,
    Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
    Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
    In the night season and all the day long..."

    I'm going to try and find this song on You-tube to post on my blog tonight!

    I went back and read some of your older posts the other day and saw that you were possibly going to have, was it your or your husbands' folks come live with you? Has anything come of that? I know we'd talked about this before too, having my grandparents come stay with us when they need help, but my D. Grandpa wants to stay in the small town he's in--where all his friends are, and on the other side, my B. Grandpa is on Dialysis 3 days a week, so has to be close to the hospital for that, so he and Grandma B. live in Mandan, close to the doctors. Perhaps Grandma B. would come and stay with us if Grandpa passes away first, as she is a former farm lady, so we'll see what the years bring...

    Blessings to you and your family! I loved your post on your greenhouse by the way, if I didn't say so already. Your shower-curtain seams were such a great idea!

    Love in the Lord,
    ~Cora

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Miss Cora Beth,

    Thank you so much for the sweet comment! It was so nice to hear from you...and I'm glad I could be an encouragement to your family. Hope all is well and that the cow is healing. Joshua shared an experience he had once with Jacob to let him know that he wasn't alone...Jacob wrote the sweetest response back.

    Thanks for reminding me of that old hymn...we love it and sing it often as well. Not too many folks I know are familiar with it...so I was pleasantly surprised when you mentioned it!

    Thanks for asking about my parents...they actually live just down the dirt road from us...less than half a mile. We are in the process of trying to sell their house...then decide what to do as far as building onto our house or building a small home for them on our land. My dad has many health issues...mom is doing quite well...we thank the Lord daily that we live close enough to be there to help them out. Often we can stay overnight when they need us to. I take them to their doctor appointments and we all help around the house for now. My sons are so incredible at helping out with their grandparents.

    We were so blessed that the fire was small and put out so quickly. We live in a very heavily wooded area...so forest fires are always a concern...as prairie fires are with you all, I'm sure. I can only imagine how scary they must be.

    Well, I'm off to the greenhouse...do you have many plants coming up yet? I just love your big greenhouse...and your terrific idea about using the barrels full of water! I'm going to try that on a small scale in my little house.

    Hope you all have a very blessed day!
    With love,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Mrs. Laura,
    I am Cora's mother and any friend of hers is a friend of mine. :) Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog when the cow needed surgery. She's still with us, so thank you so much for your prayers!
    I am so glad that we found each other as I am encouraged that another family out there is trying some of the things that we are to feed our families the best possible food.
    I also appreciate greatly your heart for the hurting! I cannot grasp how many of God's people close their ears to the cries for help all around them. At least that was our experience when our house burned the year after we got married. Very little was done to help us--only one family brought over supper to my parent's house where we were staying and another brought over some toothbrushes. After that, we were on our own--this was in my home town too.
    In general I find that people are "Too busy" to care much about others who are hurting. This makes your heart even more beautiful to me! May God bless you for your comfort to our family las week!
    Cora and I were just discussing that we would love to meet your family. I realize that this is a long way for you to come, but we would love to have you join us at Prairie Days this year on the 3rd weekend in June. Any chance you could come so far?????
    May God bless you with His sweet peace in ALL the storms of life!
    His servant,
    Dawn Bornemann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Dawn,

    Thank you so much for stopping by...and for your sweet comment! I have enjoyed blogging with your daughter, and hearing about all the happenings around your farm! I feel so blessed for the wonderful friends I have made through blogging. I looked forward to getting to know you and your family better. We are still praying for the situation with your cow...glad to hear that she seems to be on the mend.

    Hope you and your family are having a blessed week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm so glad that you are ok. Thank you for the prayers for us down here in the south. It's rough going but thankfully we are safe and have no damage. But it's happened so close to us and affected so many near and dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Nabila,
    This weather has been such a burden for so many...but also a chance to give it all to the Lord. He truly is in control.

    Still praying for you...
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...