Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Patience and Perseverance... Can It Be Just "Tat" Simple ?


Back in December,
My husband, parents and I made a trip

While we were there...
Mom and I discovered some antique shuttles
used for tatting...


Now, I love handicrafts.
And because of my grandmother and mother
I know how to do quite a few...
Such as knitting, crocheting, sewing, rug hooking,
embroidery, and cross stitching...
But one craft that I have always admired,
but never learned how to do,
was tatting.

I think this is because 
I did not know anyone who tatted.
I have always admired the dainty 
tatted lace around some of the
ladies handkerchiefs...
and longed to learn how to do this myself.


So, after Mom and I found the shuttles
we decided that we would teach ourselves
how to tat.

I did what I normally do when I want to learn
something new...
I headed to the library!


I took out several books on 
how to tat...
I thought that I was all set
when I found the one entitled, "Easy Tatting"...
Boy, was I wrong!

After reading each of the books
and looking at the directions given
mom and I attempted to tat...to no avail.

No matter how hard we tried...
We just couldn't seem to get the knack of it.
And one of the hardest parts was
that each book we looked at
taught tatting in a different way.

So, I went to the internet...
hoping for a video that would
demonstrate step by step...
but even these didn't seem to help.

Tatting basically revolves around
one simple stitch
done in many different ways.
It is actually two half hitches.
Having done some macrame before
I thought this would be quite simple.
But the tricky part is
transferring the half hitch
from one thread to the other.
And I just couldn't seem to do it!

Frustration set in pretty quickly...
For you see, crafting usually comes
quite easily to me...
most likely because I've always had
someone to show me how.
But this was different...

"Be patient," my husband said,
"You'll figure it out."
After several evenings
trying the same knot 
over and over again...
It happened!
Suddenly, I could do it!


All the books had suggested
starting with a heavier thread...
So I practiced the knot 
over and over...
Making a long chain of rings...


When I felt comfortable that I
had practiced enough on this green thread...
I decided to do something creative 
with my first attempt at tatting.
I took some ordinary dish towels
and added a pretty green cotton strip
and my tatted edging!


As I was sitting in my rocking chair
hand sewing the tatted chain on a dish towel...
I thought about patience
and perseverance...

How often do I get frustrated
and give up?

Why am I unwilling at times
to wait on the Lord?

What an encouragement for me
That my husband believed I could do it...

But patience and perseverance
are traits that we, as believers,
should continue to work on
simply because our Lord instructs us
to do so in His word.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, 
when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.
 And let endurance have its perfect result,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
James 1: 2-4

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, 
knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
 and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;
 and hope does not disappoint, 
because the love of God has been poured out 
within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
Romans 5:3-5



While in the "big city" last week,
I was able to stop at a craft store...
And pick up some of the delicate thread
used on ladies handkerchiefs...
my next project!

24 comments:

  1. I have tried my hand at tatting but was unsuccessful, however, I will try again. Thanks for the thought provoking inspiration. ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alana,
    So nice to hear from you! Don't give up! I know you can get it...once you figure out how to "pop" that half hitch onto the shuttle thread...I was ready to give away my shuttle until suddenly...it just happened! One thing I really like about tatting is that it is so portable...you can do it anywhere!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of patience during trials as the consummate expression of faith that God is in control of all things and despite our inability to see the end result, we know His will will ultimately be done. And yet, I confess, I do not always exhibit perfect patience during tribulations! "For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise." (Hebrews 10:36)

    I'm so glad you persevered in your efforts at tatting. I hope it will bring you many hours of joy and that others will be blessed by your newly acquired skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Miss Linda,

    Well said! Patience is a test of our faith...a sign that we are attempting to live in obedience to Him.

    Thank you for your well wishes! I am excited about trying some new projects with tatting. I would really love to find someone who has done it for a while...we have a lot of elderly ladies in our community so I think I'll inquire around to see if I can find someone.

    Have a blessed evening,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. To show perfect patience is something that I am slowly learning... perseverance is those attributes that you only think about after the frustration sets in and you are ready to throw in the towel :)

    Your "new" skill is wonderful! You did it! And how wonderful that your husband continued to egg you on...

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura! You did a wonderful job! I've never heard of "tatting". Looks very challenging. I'll leave those projects for you and your mom. Hehe.

    Having patience can be forgotten at times. It is always good to get encouraging reminders from others on how important it is. Look forward to seeing your other creative projects!

    Great Post,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how wonderful! :o) Isn't it so true how our husbands see and believe in what we can do just like God's faith in us! Oh but so often we forget to embrace that same faith with God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maria,
    Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I think patience is something we all struggle with...especially as wives and mothers trying to accomplish so much in one day...often in our own strength. How important is it for us to take a look at Mary's example...and place our Lord first in everything...then the other "things" of the day won't seem quite so important.

    Always so nice to hear from you!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Angie,
    Thank you so much for your comments. Tatting really isn't that difficult...something you just have to get the "hang" of! Right now I'm trying to help my mom...she's still in the "stuck" phase.

    I do believe that the Lord gives us opportunities in our daily lives to practice patience. I also feel that it becomes somewhat easier the more we "declutter" our lives...not always something so easy to do!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nabila Grace,
    How true...how true. How wonderful it is that our Lord gives us godly men who can encourage and teach us...and support us when we need it.
    I am go grateful each and every day for my husband...he is a very patient man!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. Wiley, your tatting is really beautiful. And sewing your tatted work onto dishcloths is a wonderful idea. You've inspired me to put tatting on my "top 10 list" of projects to do. =)
    Thanks for your words about patience and perseverance. A brother at our meeting just gave a message on this passage in James. Sometimes it is difficult to trust the Lord during a time of testing. But we know He'll always see us through as He is forever faithful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Miss Lydia,
    Thank you so much for the sweet compliment! I'm so glad that you're going to try your hand at tatting...I know that you will be so good at it.

    I hope that you have better luck at finding shuttles than I did...I even went to the craft stores in Portland and although they carried the tatting thread...not one had shuttles. I guess it is sort of a lost art nowadays.

    I appreciate your comment on patience and perseverance. Times of testing just make us turn to and depend on our Lord even more...and this is such a good thing. Patience is difficult at times, but it brings such peace...so it is definitely worth the trial!

    Have a blessed evening,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mom,
    I can say from experience that patience is much easier practiced when things are going well. It is when things don't turn out the way we want that it becomes difficult. Galatians 5:22 tells us that patience is one of the fruits of the spirit. It seems as if anger and frustration are our sinful nature's ways of trying to deal with trials. I am thankful that the Lord is faithful and seeks to help us through times of testing. Colossians 1:11 says that God strengthens us so that we will have great endurance and patience. Although it can be difficult to see it this way, especially when a trial seems overwhelming, God uses times of testing as a way to mature us. Thank you for posting this.

    Love,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Joshua,

    Your words are so true...and I also believe that as we practice patience through trials, our Lord reveals to us things that He is attempting to teach us in His word. I find that whenever I feel frustrated...the best way to calm myself is to spend time in the Scriptures.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Laura~
    I'm so happy for you that you've learned a new craft. It's always fun to learn something new. You did a beautiful job on the dish towels. I really like the green cotton strip on them too.
    I've heard of tatting, but I've never tried it. It is beautiful though.
    How sweet that your husband kept encouraging you. That's the way it should be.:)
    I agree with your son...patience is much easier practiced when things are going well. I'm so glad God is there to help us through all the trials of life!
    Take care.♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing about your tatting, Mrs. Laura! I had been looking forward to this post. :) I am so glad that you were able to figure out how to do it . . . your patience and perseverance paid off! And the end result is lovely. I hope that your next project goes very well for you!

    What good reminders regarding patience and perseverance . . . I love the verses that you shared at the end of this post. They are some of my favorites, and especially the first portion from James: “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials”. This passage so often has come to my mind as a gentle reminder of what my heart needs to be when undergoing difficult or trying circumstances . . . for it is this “testing” that helps us to grow in the Lord.

    Thank you again for sharing, and enjoy working on the handkerchiefs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading your post just brought a big smile to my face. As I was reading Romans 8 today, the last 5 verses really spoke to my heart. Yes, we are more than conquerors (over any trial or tribulation we may be facing) through Him who loves us. Last year, God showed me that we need to rejoice in trials and tribulations since they are simply good gifts the Father lovingly bestows upon us so that we might learn His ways and completely submit to His will in our lives. I learned three things in which to occupy my time while waiting patiently for the victory: faith, hope, and love. I acknowledge how big is our God; I thankfully acknowledge how He has brought me through so many trials and tribulations in the past; and I acknowledge His great love for His children. In this way, we are living testimonies to this world of His love and goodness, even when the victory has not yet come. I also found that it helps to surround oneself with many others who believe in Ephesians 3:20, so that with great anticipation and excitement, we can look forward to the victory which will come in God’s perfect timing. I am so thankful God has blessed you with a godly husband who is a vessel of such loving encouragement. I will continue to pray that your mother also be able to soon pick up on the skill of tatting. May God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Morning Melanie!

    Always so nice to have you stop by! Thank you for your sweet comments. It's funny, I've run into quite a few people who have never heard of tatting...ladies who do a lot of other handiwork. I think this is because it is such an "old" craft...and perhaps to some extent crocheting has taken its place.

    I shared your comment with my husband...it brought a smile to his face. I'm am so blessed with a wonderful family...I thank God for them each and every day. All my "men" take such good care of me!

    We've got the wood stove cranked up...expecting about 8 inches of snow and a lot of wind today. It certainly has been quite a winter! Do you get much snow? That's one of the many things I love about New England...just when you've had enough of a certain kind of weather...it changes!

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning Miss Sarah,

    Well, you all really did get hit pretty hard, I'd say! Twelve inches! It must have taken you nearly all day to clean out from that storm. Does your dad have a plow for his truck or do you all have to clear it all by hand? We are expecting another 8 inches today...in fact, it is snowing now as I write this. Seems like it's been quite a busy winter already this year...and it's only January!

    Thank you for your sweet compliment about my first tatting experience. I really think I am going to like this craft...it is so amazing how one little stitch can turn into so many different beautiful designs. I'm having to learn to read a whole new kind of pattern though...which has been a bit tricky. I'm still getting familiar with all the "terms" and abbreviations.

    I was thinking about patience last night...and how when I have had to "wait" on the Lord for something...instead of having it happen quickly like I might like it to...it seems as though I learn so many different lessons...some of which might have nothing to do with the matter at hand. And also, as I am trying to be patient about something, the Lord often points out to me that perhaps this isn't part of His will at all. What an amazing God we serve!

    Have a very blessed day, my dear!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greetings Anonymous!

    Thank you so much for stopping by to visit my blog! It is always so nice to welcome new readers. I enjoyed and appreciated your very convicting comment.

    The book of Romans is such an amazing book, and chapter 8 is filled with such hope for the believer. Verse 31 sums it up with “If God be for us, who can be against us?” Though trials and tribulations of this world may come our way, the hope we have within us as believers in Christ gives us the strength to endure these trials…and to wait patiently for the victory that is ours in Christ Jesus. We cannot be overcome or defeated because we are a part of an amazing team…God is for us, Christ is for us, and the Holy Spirit indwells with us! Therefore, we are “more than conquerors!” I have found that it is such a blessing to have memorized verses 38-39 to help in those hard times…times when we need to have patience and perseverance…


    “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

    Thank you also for the sweet comment about my husband. I am so blessed with my family...to have a husband who loves the Lord so...and strives daily to lead his family in the ways of the Lord...this is a blessing that I am so thankful for each and every day. And now, to watch my sons grow with that same Love...God is so good.

    Again, thank you for stopping by...and I hope that you will visit again!

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Laura~
    I'm so glad your 'men' take such good care of you. Yes, you are blessed! I have a very caring husband as well. It's a blessing.:)

    I grew up in the western mountains of Virginia. They get a good amount of snow there. The part of Virginia where we live now gets some snow, but not as much as what I had when I was growing up. My daughter and I LOVE Winter and snow! So does our dog, Lilly.:)

    Thank you for stopping by to visit me as well. That song has always been one of my favorites. I help lead worship at our church, so I always make sure we don't forget the beautiful old hymns!

    I hope you and your family stay safe and warm during this next storm coming your way. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello again, Melanie!

    I've been to Virginia several times as a child...it is beautiful country! We visited the Blue Ridge Mountains...as well as Maryland, Washington, D.C., and some of the surrounding states. My family loves history...so it was wonderful to visit many of the historical sites in your area of the country!

    Don't you just love those old hymns! "Come Thou Fount" is probably one of my all time favorites...but there are so many incredible ones! I enjoy playing them on my flute (of course, it is difficult to sing while you're playing the flute!)...but I love singing them as well!

    It is coming down quite steady right now...a perfect day for sewing! I've several projects to finish up...so I think I'll work on these while Samuel is doing his lessons this morning.

    Again, thanks for stopping by!
    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good evening, Mrs. Laura! To answer your question, no, we do not have a plow to clear our driveway, and so far, have always just shoveled it. This time, though, Daddy got creative and found a way to ‘plow’ it without a plow! And that is part of the blog post that I just put up. :) It was fun ‘digging out’ after the storm and now we have pathways criss-crossing from the house, to the animal pens, to the barn, etc. Hope you all are doing well what with another winter storm having gone through there!

    I can relate to getting familiar with all the ‘terms’ and abbreviations as you learn tatting :) . . . I remember when I first began learning to crochet, the patterns were just about like a foreign language at first!

    It is amazing how many lessons we can learn as we wait patiently for something or as we work through something patiently (like your tatting :) or in my case right now . . . hand quilting!) As you shared, we serve an amazing God, and One who so lovingly teaches us through His Word and guides us along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello again, Miss Sarah,

    What a blessing that your dad found a way to "plow" all that snow! There sure has been quite a bit of it this winter! We got around a foot today right here on the coast...but only 10 miles inland...they didn't get nearly as much. This snow is more of a powdery kind, because of the really cold
    temperatures...which is so good because we don't tend to lose power with this type of snow.

    I like your reference to a "foreign language" when talking about following a pattern. That has been exactly what it has been like with these tatting directions. The pattern that I'm trying now has a sort of scallopy edging to it...very dainty.

    We pray that you all stay snug and warm as these temperatures continue to drop!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...