Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Able To Cane?

My son came home with a treasure one day...a old wooden chair that someone had left on the wood pile at the transfer station. It was in pretty hard shape, but had some nice lines to it, and Joshua thought that he'd like to sand it down and refinish it. The one roadblock for him, however, was the seat. Originally it had been caned. And so he asked me if I would be able to cane it.


I had never done any caning before, but I have made baskets, so I just decided that I would use this technique on my first attempt.




Joshua stripped the chair, painted and antiqued it, and then let me attempt to weave the seat.




It was a fun project...and has made me interested in learning how to cane. I have taken out some books from our library...and plan to try another old chair that we found at a local thrift shop!



Now I know that an experienced craftsman would take a look at my attempt and quickly realize that I had not been obedient to the true art of caning. Although it was good enough for us, it was not true caning.

Likewise, this was the issue with Abel and Cain in the Old Testament. In Hebrews 11:4 we read...

"By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain,
by which he obtained witness that he was righteous,
God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh."

Though both men brought a sacrifice before the Lord, Abel was obedient to God, and this was pleasing to our Lord.

Let us be careful, my friends, in our studying, our witnessing, and our worshipping, that we are being obedient to God's Word...so that it will be pleasing to Him.

14 comments:

  1. Dear Laura...I don't know a thing about "caning"...but I think that the chair that you and your son refurbished looks so very nice! Good job to the both of you! I love how you blend in inspiration as you go about your daily tasks! Thank you for sharing! Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura,

    Canning is a skill, than unfortunately, it is not as popular as it once was.

    You did not stay true to the art, but you did finish it beautifully!

    Unfortunately, this is not the case with Our Christian life...we can go about doing things that will harm our testimony, but still we say we believe. You are right...we must be very careful!

    Thank you for sharing...

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your son did a beautiful job on the chair! The two colors go so pretty together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just going to send you an e-mail, Mrs. Laura, and tell you ‘thank you’ for sharing these photos with us the other day! And then I stopped by here and see that you posted about the chair. :) I did enjoy seeing the photos and the caning that you did . . . in fact, awhile back when browsing through your etsy store, I had admired the chair then. Isn’t it fun taking an unusable item and making it useable again? I look forward to seeing your next caning project!

    And speaking of caning, I am hoping this winter to do a set of three chairs that I picked up at an antique store this past summer. The only thing is, that when I pulled them out of storage to start working on them, they had become wobbly! (My Dad thinks it’s because of the much the lower humidity this time of year.) So the other day Daddy and I completely disassembled one of the chairs, and then we’ll need to put it back together again and reglue all of the joints which should take care of the wobbliness. Then Mama and I are going to refinish them, and then it will finally be time for the caning!

    I had to smile when you mentioned checking out books at the library to learn how to cane . . . that is the same way we learned how to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a truly beautiful job refurbishing that chair. The basket-weave pattern on the chair is gorgeous!! I love finding items that have been set aside as useless at flea markets or garage sales and refurbishing them. Usually with a little attention and creativity such items can be useful for many more years!

    Your spiritual reflection is so true and so convicting. One of the most fearful proclamations of our Savior was: "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:22-23)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your chair looks lovely my dear! :o) I wish I lived closer to you to glean from your wisdom and knowledge...but I am thankful that God has brought us together here! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Teri,
    You always have such sweet things to say! Thank you for your comment...we really like taking "old" things and making them look new again. Guess that's why I love thrift stores and yard sales!
    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear from you, Maria! I appreciate your comment about being careful... unfortunately I think many listen to the words of man rather than carefully studying the Word of God. It is so easy to be deceived.

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning, Melanie!
    Thank you so much for your compliment! We had such fun with this project...I think Josh has a bit of his grandfather in him. My dad loves to refinish furniture...and he is so good at it! It's hard to tell from the picture, but Josh antiqued it and used a little gold edging, which turned out quite nice.

    Blessings to you and your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Miss Sarah! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I'm planning to try my hand at caning again soon...we have several projects in the works...always good for the winter! We have a similar problem with chairs and whatnot becoming loose...my husband says it is because of the wood stove (can be very drying to furniture!). I've always had such success learning new things from library books, as well as the internet. What wonderful resources!

    I hope that you and your family have a blessed day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Miss Linda,
    Thank you so much for your compliment and for your sharing of the scriptures. I fear that many have become too comfortable, following the words of man, rather than searching the scriptures for themselves. I agree that Matthew 7:22-23 is quite frightening...
    especially because so many may be unaware that they have been deceived.

    Thank you again for sharing and may God bless you,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, Nabila Grace! I have to tell you that when I read your comment...it brought tears to my eyes. I, too, wish that we lived closer, so that we could sit over a cup of tea and read God's word together. It would be wonderful to have your little ones playing underfoot...but, I too, am so grateful for the internet. God is so amazing in the ways He brings folks together...ways in which we could never imagine.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a lovely chair! You did a wonderful job on it!

    And yes, may we be pleasing to Him!

    Sweet blessings to you!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sharon,
    Thank you for your kind and wise words...to please our Lord should be in our thoughts at all time.

    Have a blessed day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...