Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hangin' Out My Shingle...

We were really hoping that we could wait until Spring...

We knew that our 20+ year old roof
desperately needed to be reshingled...
But we were hoping that we could get through the winter.

My husband and sons had plans to strip
the roof this spring and then
either reshingle it...
or, perhaps, put on metal roofing.

It's a pretty big job...
especially since they planned to do both
the house and the barn...
A job that they really didn't want to tackle
with winter weather fast approaching...

Unfortunately, the three big wind/rainstorms
that we've had in the last few months
Have taken their toll on our roof...

What could we expect?
Any wind that could do this to a tree...

This large poplar tree lifted right out of the ground but,
praise God, got wedged in between two other trees...
otherwise it would have come down on our house!

Was certainly more than capable of
blowing a few old shingles off of our roof.


So...decision making time...
Do it now...
or wait til Spring.

After looking at everything...time, cost, weather...
We decided that we would stick to our original plan.
However, my husband felt that it was important to do
a bit of patching...just to get us by until the good weather.

So, he went to town and purchased one package of shingles.
God is so good...he got them for practically nothing because
they were left over from a big construction project!


We were so very thankful that the weather
this weekend was warmer and sunny.
Josh and Preston went up on the dormer
and patched all the spots that were in the hardest shape.


As I stood on the ground...
nervously praying that neither would take a
20 foot tumble...
I thought about shingles...

Now, people, such as a doctor or lawyer,
 hang out their "shingles"
When they want to advertise their business,
When they want to draw attention to
who they are and what they do...

And I pondered...
Is my "shingle" out???

When I am out and about...
Do I advertise the "love of Christ"
In the way that I treat all people?
In the manner I dress and speak?
In the deeds that I do?
In the way that I spend my time
and who I spend my time with?

Generally, when people hang out their "shingle"
It is because they have spent years
studying and learning
And now have something to offer others...

So...I ask myself...
Have I been studying enough?
Spending sufficient time in the Word?
So that I can adequately share
with others...
The wonderful news I have to offer...

When people see my "shingle"...
Will they be drawn to me
And want to find out what this
"business" of the gospel
is all about?

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth."
2 Timothy 2:15

14 comments:

  1. Yet again, this post struck a familiar ‘cord!’ :) As we, too, are in the process of redoing our roof (as in, a several year project :) . . . though in addition to reshingling, eaves need to be built and put on (for whatever reason, whoever built our house didn’t put eaves on!) and new plywood needs to be put down. It’s been a huge job, but little by little ground is being gained! But like you all, continuing work on it has now been put on ‘hold’ until next year when the project will begin again.

    I am sorry to hear that the storms damaged your roof so much! But what a blessing that you were able to patch those places (and get shingles for such a good price!) so that your roof will last another winter season.

    Once again, my heart was so blessed and convicted as I read what you shared about hanging out our 'shingle' as believers in Christ . . . thank you so much for sharing all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good post to read.
    like you, but in a smaller way, we are having to repair a roof on the garage. Winds took much of the covering off. so now I will think of your words as we get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Miss Sarah,

    Always so good to hear from you, dear. So...we have another thing in common, eh? By the time our families finish these two projects they could probably go into the roofing business together! Or maybe we should just have a couple of roofing parties...you know, we could all come to Missouri for a few weeks and help you out...and then you could all come to Maine!
    :) I really do look forward to having this project done because we may have another big one coming up...my parents are selling their home...and if that should happen, we have been talking about building a home for them on our land...sort of like a "dawdi house"...so that they could be very close as time goes by. Everything is still very "up in the air", but we are praying that it will sell quickly for them...it is much too big for them at this time in their lives.

    We stopped by our friends that have the goats (where we sometimes get milk) to return some quart jars, and she told us that both her does are expecting! She also indicated that she would love to see the babies go to our house...so we may start our little herd this spring. I would like to get a doe in milk to start with, though, just to have the milk as soon as possible. My friend is going to call me when the time comes so that I can be there for the births. I am really excited! She also showed Josh and I her really wonderful greenhouse (she has 3!) that runs on sliders! It is really amazing...each season she can slide the greenhouse forward or backward to a new patch of ground. She says it helps replenish the soil and she had much better success with her crops. I'm not doing a very good job explaining it...I'll have to get a picture and blog about it someday...it is really something! She grows veggies all winter long...very successfully!

    Hope all is well with your family. Was your dad able to hunt on Saturday?? Did he spot anything?? Still no deer on our end...although not for lack of trying, that's for sure!

    Have a blessed day,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elizabeth,
    So nice to hear from you! Seems like everyone we talk to is fixing their roof these days! We wish you much success with your project...are you doing it yourself or have you hired someone? Also, thank you for your lovely comments!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. A roofing business . . . now there’s an idea! :) Though, I think by the time our roof is all finished, we’ll probably be ready for a break from roofing for awhile! :)

    How wonderful that you all might build a home for your parents on your land! It’s so rare to hear of things like this . . . though not so long ago, it used to be quite common for families to do this . . . the parents lived on the children’s land (or at least nearby) or vice versa. But sadly, with our ‘movable society’ (and other factors as well), the appreciation and sense of the value of multi-generational families is being lost. I hope that your parent’s house sells quickly and that the Lord will give wisdom with how to proceed from there!

    I can well imagine how excited you must be about the dairy goats! Spring isn’t too terribly far away. :) I am looking forward to seeing how this ‘journey’ unfolds for you! The greenhouse sounds quite interesting. I don’t think I have ever heard of one being on sliders before, but it makes sense . . . and it must work in order for her to have vegetables all winter long. That would be nice!

    My Dad wasn’t able to go hunting on Saturday, but he did go out last evening and this morning and . . . no deer were sighted. Last night, though, deer ate almost all of our Swiss chard, so there is definitely some around! Hopefully he’ll be able to see some the next time (and get one, too :), and I hope that you all have success hunting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Miss Sarah,

    I understand, maybe the roofing company isn't the best idea...we're getting pretty tired of it as well. Maybe a dairy farm??? We could make cheese, and yogurt, and soap, and...the possibilities are endless!

    We are still "deerless". They just came in from sitting in the tree stand...absolutely frozen! The wind is screeching right now. Not many more days for us here in Maine...I believe next Saturday is the last hunting day. I do so hope we get at least one...how's your dad doing? Is your freezer full yet?

    We actually saw a few snowflakes today. Won't be long and we'll be shoveling a path to the chicken coop!

    Hope you all have a joyous Sunday!
    Sweet blessings,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, Our roof is in need of work also. Steve was up there last week inspecting and fixing things to just get through another winter! Spending money and time on a roof is not really our favorite thing to do!!
    After stacking wood all morning, Steve, Christianna, and Lydia thought they need a little diversion...so they went shopping...first to look at another wood stove and then for a bit of "real" shopping, as the girls put it. Although the girls said they had a great afternoon, Steve look quite tuckered out when they arrived home...in fact he was the first to bed tonight- about 8pm!! :)
    We also had snowflakes dancing in the air on and off today...Mrs. Gentile from church said earlier in the week that she could smell the snow in the air...we put the snow tires on the Subaru...so I guess we are ready now. Chris, our son-in-law, and Steve will get our last two cord of wood in on Friday...then it can snow.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mandy,
    So good to hear from you! Seems like everyone is having issues with their roofs lately. Please don't hesitate to call on my "guys" if your husband needs some help...we've had quite a bit of experience at it lately.
    Hope you all have a joyous Sunday,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that he was able to get the shingles for cheaper! You my dear have a shingle that shines - Woman of God lives here exemplifying the love of God each and every day like the Proverbs 31 woman! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nabila Grace,
    Oh, dear friend, you are too kind. I am just so thankful that I am His child...what more could anyone want.

    We are really hoping that the roof will hold out through the winter...and that my "men" can tackle the job come spring. I'm really leaning toward a metal roof...if we can get a good price on the supplies. We are checking out an Amish company that does roofing north of us and sells the metal at a very reasonable cost. We'll just have to wait and see...
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. A dairy farm . . . now there’s an idea! :) Milking, making cheese, butter, yogurt, soap . . . that would be so much fun!

    I can sympathize with your ‘deerlessness’ as we are the same. Daddy has gone out a number of times, but hasn’t even seen any. Our regular rifle season only has a few days left, but there is a doe only season for a few days in December so maybe he’ll have an opportunity to get some then. I am sorry that you all haven’t been able to get any deer yet! There are still a few days left for you all, though, so hopefully that will change!

    By the way, I just recently saw your comments on our girls group posts, and have now replied to them over there. :) Thank you so much for them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Miss Sarah,
    Oh, dear (or should I say, deer) we are getting a little nervous around here...only 6 days left. My husband has to work today through Wednesday...but I think that Samuel is planning to go out this afternoon with one of our neighbors. He and Sam are quite the buddies. He is an elderly gentleman that raises springer spaniels. Sam often helps him train the dogs. Our neighbor doesn't like to go out hunting by himself. Maine rules are a bit different than Missouri...in order to shoot a doe, you must have an any deer permit. These are given out through a drawing...you have to apply for them on-line. If you don't receive them, then you can only shoot a buck. Both my husband and Samuel got one this year...but they haven't seen any deer at all when they've been out hunting. We did see a beautiful 8 point buck on someone's lawn last Thursday night on our way home from town, however! Hopefully, he'll come visit our neck of the woods in the next few days...sure would love to have some venison in the freezer!
    I hope you dad is successful as well...will he have some free time this week to hunt?

    Well, off to the sewing machine. I'm helping mom with a "birthday gift" project. Hope you have a lovey day.
    Blessings,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deer season has come and gone now here for us, and Daddy didn’t even see any. So our freezer will continue to remain venisonless until hopefully the doe only season! Was Samuel able to get any deer? I hope so! How wonderful that he has such a special friendship with your elderly neighbor . . . what a blessing relationships like this can be.

    I hope that the sewing on the “birthday gift” project went well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Miss Sarah,
    Still no deer in our freezer! We have 3 days left...so there is still some hope. We visited with my nephew and brother-in-law yesterday. They live in central Maine. They had already got a moose (you need a special permit) and between him, his brothers, and their sons, had shot 11 deer! (He comes from a family of 14).
    Guess all the deer have migrated inland this year!

    Still working on the birthday gift...Mom just dropped off some napkin rings that she'd like me to paint...a good project while I wait for the pies to be done!
    Take care,
    Mrs Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...