Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Just In "Case!"

About a half an hour south of us
Is the sweetest little village
Which has the most wonderful flea market
every summer.

It begins around Memorial Day
And ends with Columbus Day...
Every weekend, people from near and far
Come to the this quaint not so little Flea Market.

What do I like best about this particular flea market?
Why, the vendors, of course!

Some of them have had tables
for 25 or more years.
They are like one big happy family.

So, early this October,
We took a little trip south
To the market.

It was there that I came across
A charming elderly lady
Working on the most precious little dress
That she was knitting for her great granddaughter.

What attracted me to the table, however,
Were all the linens she had for sale.
You see, I'm a sucker for hand embroidered wares
And she had a whole pile of pillowcases.

As we chatted,
She told me how she happened to have so many.
Her mother had embroidered them all
For her son's "future" wife...
But the son had never married.
So, now that her mother had passed away...
She was selling them at the flea market.

I am ashamed to admit...
How little I paid for this one
Which was just too dear to pass up...
The stitches are so tiny and perfect
As is the crocheted edging around the bottom.

The little french knots on the flowers
are too sweet!

As I grieved that this case
had not gone to whom it was intended for...
I began to think that perhaps
the Lord had wanted me to meet this lady.

You see, as a young lady,
I had embroidered items for my "hope" chest...

But the thought had never occurred to me
That I could also be doing this
for my "future" daughters-in-law...

I found these wonderful vintage
 transfers at a yard sale!
So...
I have begun to embroider...
Just in "case!"

"She seeketh wool, and flax,
and worketh willingly with her hands..."
Proverbs 31:13




16 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Oh my, I also enjoy tremendously, hand embroidered linens. I have them all over the cottage...and in my drawers waiting to take their turn :-D

    Your pillowcase is so beautiful...I am sure it will turn out just lovely!

    M.

    PS: I like your new look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post today. The Holy Spirit has been talking to me all day long calming my stressed out nerves. I keep hearing in my ears, Be still. I can't explain, It just feels like a hug. Sounds like you were spoken to directly. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the Lord bless your 3 sons with godly wives. I am reminded today, as my dear Sara is under the weather, that an excellent wife is worth far more than rubies, and is hard to find. I thank the Lord for such a wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww...that's wonderful! I love them! I have a few that my grandmother gave to me! :o) oh and I LOVE your "new" look :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it :) I have a few sets waiting to be worked on. There is something special about embroidered cases. ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura...such a pretty treasure! I love old-fahsioned tea towels that are hand stitched. I found a set of seven at a flea market on our way home from Branson a couple of weeks ago. I too, could not believe the little price that the tag had on it. There was not a story to go with the ones I brought home...but they were lovely! I do believe that things do happen for a reason! Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    How I long to have the time to do my hand stitchery again. I love cross stitch. I love your Bible Verse to go with this post.
    Your story was so sweet makes your tea towels a rare and beautiful treasure.
    Enjoy,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura,
    I also have some embroiderer pillow cases very similar to the ones you purchased. I think they were my grandmothers...I also have several sets that were given to me a bridal shower gifts...some 32plus years ago. When I go married I was given pillowcases by several of the ladies at our church...and hand made, hemstitching, embroidery, crochet trim. Of course I only used them on beds that weren't being used!!! But now I use them...because why keep something you will not enjoy using?....Smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Maria,
    Thank you for the compliment on the pillowcases and my blog...I so enjoy working with my hands as you do as well!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Tammy,
    I believe that if we "keep still" more often, we would hear Him speaking to us all the time.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessisngs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sara and Mark,
    We, too, pray daily that our sons will find godly wives...and we also pray for the young women as well...even though the Lord has yet to have revealed them to us! We hope that Sara is on the mend and feeling better now.
    In Him,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nabila Grace,
    Don't you just love "handed-down" items! They hold so many fond memories...I want to create those same feelings for my children and grandchildren to be!
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Alana,
    I am constantly working on some sort of handwork...I just feel empty if there is something in my hands! Sometimes I have way too many projects going at the same time, though!
    Sweet blesssings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Teri,
    I think you and I would have such fun at flea markets together...we seem to enjoy so many of the same things!
    Blessings,dear friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Virginia,
    Remember that there is a season for everything...you will have time again to do these things...but right now, you have more important work to do.
    Take care, dear one,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Mandy,
    I, too, used to put things away to only use on "special occasions"...until I realized that every day the Lord gives us is special...so now I use my "treasures" more and more, not only for company, but mostly for my "special" family!
    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...