Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Harvest Is Ripe...

We spent the better part of an afternoon
last weekend
harvesting the last of the potatoes, onions, and carrots...

Quite late in the season for us...
But it seemed as though
every time we thought to do it
Something else came up...

Now, I know,
Sometimes I appear to be
quite the "farm" girl...
But, believe you me,
I was avoiding this chore
just as much as anyone else in the family.

Finally, though, we realized
after the third severe rainstorm of the month
That the harvest would rot...
If we didn't get it out of the ground soon.

So...all afternoon...we harvested.


The interesting thing is...
that despite the same end results...
each of us harvested in different ways...

My husband likes to get his hands
way down in the dirt
and pull up the potatoes...

I like to take a fork...
and turn over the soil...
while one of the boys gathers the potatoes...

So, you see, there are different methods of harvesting...
all producing wonderful results...
not one necessarily better than the other...

But the point is...
we need to get the harvesting done...
before it is too late...


Now, there were a thousand other things
that I would have liked to be doing
instead of harvesting...
But what a blessing for us...
when we saw the "fruits" of our labor...

Sometimes we think...
That we have plenty of time...
And we put off doing what we should do
until it is too late...

This morning we gave thanks
for last weekend's harvest...
For we woke to temperatures in the low 30s
And strong winds blowing...


So we sat around the woodstove
and thought about harvesting...
and marveled at
what an awesome God we serve.


"The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved."
Jeremiah 8:20

"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

Genesis 8:22


"Then saith he unto his disciples,
The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;"

Matthew 9:37

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing! Oh my goodness this is what Our Lord does...he takes something as small as a small potato and multiplies it.

    I tend to do the same thing...when I know that I have to do something, I tend to ignore it until I can not ignore it anymore. And then it becomes to late. How many times have I ignored the promptings of The Holy Spirit to act on something immediately, but because I did not want to do it at that time, I missed a great deal!

    But you did do it now and it was a blessing to see what you had.

    Blessings dear Laura,

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura, What a wonderful reward for all your efforts in the garden this year...baskets full and overflowing of produce!!Do you lay out your onions and potatoes to dry completely before putting them in baskets? That's what we were told to do back when we actually grew these vegetables...I just didn't know if it was necessary.
    Also, I see all that wood stack so neatly by the wood stove. My three youngest daughters spent the afternoon with the DR gas powered cart, bringing up wood and stacking it. I think they did a cord today. We really appreciate it, as Steve and I had other projects that each of us had to tend to today...so the girls blessed up with their help. I do thank the Lord for our children--precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Maria,
    Sometimes, I too, have disregarded the prompting of the Holy Spirit...and missed an opportunity to share my faith with others. Later, I have had regrets over this. Thank you so much for your always "uplifting" and supportive comments!
    With love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mandy,
    We are so thankful for the bountiful harvest this year. Last year's rain kept us from planting many crops that we usually plant. We do dry the potatoes, carrots, and onions before putting them in cold storage for the winter...it seems to keep them from rotting.

    What a blessing our children are to us both. When they willingly help with the chores around the home, so much more can get done and it keeps the home running in harmony. It also is such a wonderful teaching tool for them as they grow...for someday they will have families of their own. My husband and I have tried to involve our sons in almost everything we do around here since they were small lads...now we feel very comfortable leaving them here and knowing that they will be attentive to the responsibilities of the household. They are such a blessing to us...God is so good.
    Sweet blessings to you and your family,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate that you are taking the time to read this post and look forward to your response. May God richly bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...