Until the rain started...rain like I've never heard before. And the wind...we watch as trees bent right over to the ground. Then the thunder and lightening...so close, so unbelievably intense.
Of course, I've always felt that "storms" are so much worse at night when it is dark. Fear of the unknown, I guess. We wondered how long the power would be out...we wondered if our sons and my parents were safe...we wondered if we would lose trees...or our garden...or our home.
This morning we woke to calm. The morning weather report claimed that there were isolated tornadoes, quarter size hail, and hurricane winds last night. You'd never believe it this morning...the sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are singing. Well, I guess there are still a few signs of last night's tempest...

Many trees down...

Roads washed out...especially our dirt road...
And the corn took quite a beating...

But the biggest shock for us came this morning...when we heard what had happened at my parent's home the night before. I stopped in on my morning walk to wish my dad a "Happy Birthday" (he's 87 today!)only to find that they had suffered major damage from the storm. Half of their driveway was washed away into the cove...along with the hill next to their garage. The raging waters blew a hole through the cellar door, flooded the cellar and burst through the door on the ocean side of the house. Their garage is filled with about 3 inches of "driveway"...and there is a very large deep hole under the kitchen in the cellar. We are waiting on the insurance company to come and assess the damage. My heart cried for my dad...what a birthday present. But his response to the whole situation was..."I thank God that the boys were here with us last night". I soon found out my sons noticed that the driveway was caving in...went out into the "storm" to rescue the truck (which had already started to sink down into the hole) and the other two vehicles in the driveway...moving them to safer ground. They then went around the entire house, putting down storm windows as the rain came pouring in...mopping up huge puddles on the floor...rescuing tools and other items from the garage as the water rushed through...and remaining calm throughout the whole ordeal. My dad told me that he didn't know what they would have done if "his boys" hadn't been there. And my sons never said a word about it when they arrived home safely last night...because they didn't want to worry us.
Why is it that I continue to be amazed when God puts people in certain places at just the right moment? I see this all the time...you would think that by now I would just come to expect it...for isn't that exactly what a Savior does?
Funny thing...you only notice the "storm" this morning if you look down...if you look up...
the sky is blue...
and the Son is shining.
God is so good.
"He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still..."
Psalm 107:29
Oh my...that must have been quite frightening to be around.
ReplyDeleteBut yes, I seem to also forget that He is very much in the center of the "storm", and He knows exactly what kind of help to send at just the nick of time.
Praising the Lord with you this morning! Your family is safe, your boys are safe, and you are able to continue to give Our Heavenly Father the glory!!!
Amen :)
Wow Laura! What a story! I'm so glad your parents and sons are safe. We often have pretty bad storms here in Texas (just north of Houston). But that is some major damage! I'm glad the Lord was taking care of everything. :o)
ReplyDeleteDonna @ Comin' Home
Laura,
ReplyDeleteWhat truth in your post today. We can not believe in what we see or feel. We have to BELIEVE in what we know.. The SON in SHINNING, He is WORKING, He has already defeated the enemy.. We have to just keep claiming HIS VICTORIES, before we see them.
Sometimes even during the storms of our lives..
Thank you, thank you,
Virginia
Thanks for reading and posting today. You really are an encourager in my season of life..
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteI just found you from Maria and have truly enjoyed my visit.
Praise the Lord that everyone is safe. "Things" can be repaired, but those you love dearly are safe. I can relate to the road wash outs as we've had our share of those. :-) Isn't it just amazing to look back and see the Lord's hand in it all!
Blessings,
Anne